Juggling F/T job while going to school-how are you all doing it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MALA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to know if anyone who works full-time (and yes that includes all Moms and Dads that are F/T parents). I was just wondering how everyone does it? How do you squeeze in the tons of study time needed (and how do you stay awake as well?) and keep up outside obligations? I'd love to hear any helpful study tips that could be time-savers or keeps you ahead of the game. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It can be done but be careful that you do not bite off more than you can chew...non-trads need to have excellent grades and working FT and going to school FT can be quite challenging...

take your time...take one or 2 classes/semester and don't worry about taking an extra year or 2...in the end it's worth it. Just start out w/ one and DON'T TALK YOURSELF OUT OF ANYTHING YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh it is rough though, i work full time +, and i feel like my only life outside of work is currently physics and physics lab. i just try to take it one day at a time. i've also tried to get rid of wasted time - even if i'm too tired to do physics at night and there's something on tv i'd like to watch, i will at least look at my examkracker's bio book, review something relatively easy. i got the audioosmosis cds as well, i listen to those on my commute.

In the couse of a day I get a LOT done, and waste very little time especially during the week. I study during my 1 hour commute on public transportation to and from work, but most importantly, I'm a master multitasker. For example, in the evening I wash clothes while baking chicken, with the rice cooking in the microwave. I help my daughter with her homework, while the dishes are being wash in the dishwasher.

You can get things done on a tight schedule, but you have to commit yourself to it.

MALA said:
Just curious to know if anyone who works full-time (and yes that includes all Moms and Dads that are F/T parents). I was just wondering how everyone does it? How do you squeeze in the tons of study time needed (and how do you stay awake as well?) and keep up outside obligations? I'd love to hear any helpful study tips that could be time-savers or keeps you ahead of the game. Thanks.

I was a non-traditional medical student, married with six kids and unemployed during medical school. Having done it successfully I think I am in a position to give you some good advice. I would try to avoid having a full time job during medical school if at all possible. The volume of academic material during the didactic years is great and comes at a rapid pace. Since it is absolutely essential to "keep up" it would be best to essentially devote all your time to your studies. During the clinical years, your rotation and call schedules combined with more didactics makes having another job virtually impossible. FYI, my wife was not employed during medical school either,but stayed home to raise, including home school, the kids. And no, we were not wealthy. Just did some creative things financially. DWP

MALA said:

Another thing to think about is the gender of the person in med school. I don't know of ANY men staying at home to do what the previous poster mentioned. So for men it's MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier if he's the med student than if the woman is a med student,unless he stays at home while Mommy attends school!

I work full time, I?m a single mom, and this semester I?m taking 24 credit hours, and I?m passing all of my classes with no less then a ?B?. I have schedule and I make sure I?m on top of things. I know when my assignments are due so that way you can put things in order. It is not easy, but I?m making it. I still give my daughter her personal time, after she is sleep that is when I put in study time. In November I will begin studying for the April 2005 MCAT. A lot of people ask me do I sleep, and the answer is yes. Time management is the key to my success.

Treese said:
I work full time, I?m a single mom, and this semester I?m taking 24 credit hours, and I?m passing all of my classes with no less then a ?B?. I have schedule and I make sure I?m on top of things. I know when my assignments are due so that way you can put things in order. It is not easy, but I?m making it. I still give my daughter her personal time, after she is sleep that is when I put in study time. In November I will begin studying for the April 2005 MCAT. A lot of people ask me do I sleep, and the answer is yes. Time management is the key to my success.

24 credit hours? How is that possible even if you don't have a job? So that's what? 6 classes ?

3 classes plus 3 science classes with their labs. I take all of them online except my Physics 2 class and the lab.

Amen to that path! it is *totally* different for mothers going to medical school just fyi. Most men like path stated do are NOT stay home dads ...it is much more challenging to go to medical school as a mother IMHO. All the dads at my medical school have SAHM, the mothers OTOH have to attend to family matters AND stay on top of stuff...

"I work full time, I?m a single mom, and this semester I?m taking 24 credit hours, and I?m passing all of my classes with no less then a ?B?. I have schedule and I make sure I?m on top of things. . I still give my daughter her personal time, after she is sleep that is when I put in study time. In November I will begin studying for the April 2005 MCAT."

Hi Treese - was wondering how you were planning to study for the mcat - i'm in a similar situation myself and am worried about mcat prep as the straw that will break my back :confused:

that is awesome what you are doing, you go girl!!!

I'm working on the MCAT, now, but i will not really be hitting it hard till Nov. I know it is going to be hard, but i set aside some time through out hte week just for the MCAT study. Once Nov. comes i will set aside 2-3 hours a day for the MCAT, and from what I've been told is to do as many practice test as i can do.

I work 7 days a week, but it only totals about 20 hours. Unfortunately, this is not enough to make nds meet. When I would work a second job, I do not know. What I have learned--at the expense of my GPA--is that I cannot handle any more than ~12 hours a semester. This includes 3 kids, school, the job, lots of driving (about 2-3 hours a day), EC activities for the kids, every now and then, some event at school, club meetings, girl scout meetings.....By the time dinner is done, kids' homework is done, baths are done, I have about a few hours of study time intermingled with dosing off on the books before I get up, got to work, and get back home in time to get them ready for school.

Apparently, I've adapted to require very little sleep. 5 hours is optimal, but 3.5-4 is the norm, and this sustains me 5 nights a week until I can sleep in a little on the weekends.

I have a *fabulous* husband, and when I went back to school I dove in with 21 hours a semester, including two labs. We do have two children, and one at the time was in pre-school. Fortunately, my college has a pre-school there (at a nice discounted rate!), but it only covered the time I was actually in classes. So my study time was only after my children went to bed. With their bedtime a nice early 7:00 p.m. that year, I had a few hours all to myself every day. Now the latest bedtime is 8:00 p.m. and classes are getting tougher, but I do my homework on the couch while I watch over them, during dinner, while making dinner. The one thing I have going for me is I don't generally require a lot of sleep - 6 hours a night does it well, although 7 is better. It also helps that we have a nice, big, playset in our backyard for the kids to play on. I do homework on the back porch while the kids are playing. (BTW, my husband works VERY strange and long hours, so he's often not here in the evenings, but he does get up with the kids every morning and get them off to school - and make me my coffee :) )

UNTlabrat said:
I work 7 days a week, but it only totals about 20 hours. Unfortunately, this is not enough to make nds meet. When I would work a second job, I do not know. What I have learned--at the expense of my GPA--is that I cannot handle any more than ~12 hours a semester. This includes 3 kids, school, the job, lots of driving (about 2-3 hours a day), EC activities for the kids, every now and then, some event at school, club meetings, girl scout meetings.....By the time dinner is done, kids' homework is done, baths are done, I have about a few hours of study time intermingled with dosing off on the books before I get up, got to work, and get back home in time to get them ready for school.

Apparently, I've adapted to require very little sleep. 5 hours is optimal, but 3.5-4 is the norm, and this sustains me 5 nights a week until I can sleep in a little on the weekends.

Looks like you're my new Superwoman hero!!! :thumbup:

I am NOT of the Superwoman persuasion. I took one class with lab my first semester. In July of last year I was able to cut back to an 80% appointment and took a summer class with lab, then one or two classes at a time since then (since O-chem here has both afternoons of lab bundled into the second semester, I couldn't fit a second lab class in that time). My director has been more or less understanding about my schedule, but I may go back to full time next summer during glide year. I'm taking physics now while finishing off Bio and will take the MCAT next April.

I plan to work 80% of full time, take physics, and study for the MCAT next semester, and that's it. No kids here.

I have the utmost respect for the folks who are doing EVERYTHING, but I know it's not for me. I can still fit in a little family time, dance class, work with the OldPreMeds organization, a little bit of volunteer work, and basically stay well-rounded. Time enough to lose my mind when med school starts.

Treese said:

:) Treese:
I'm a single mom also and am worried about neglecting my daughter as I enter into a post-bacc program next fall. I was wondering how you're doing it - working part-time? Did you qualify for financial aid? Did the financial aid help with housing costs, etc.? How are your kids handling your busy schedule? I am looking to move away from where I live to attend school. Any tips, etc., you can send my way would be quite helpful. Thanks! -- lpressley130