July 14th USMLE Step 1 Major Release Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greg1184

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Following last year's thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=645746), I decided to make this thread. Talk about your anxiety, concerns, etc about 7/14, the biggest day for many of us. Best of luck everyone. :luck:

Oh yeah: 1 day 7 hours 25 mins 47 seconds until ~9am 7/14 ;)

Members don't see this ad.

227, 98. At end, novel Q-bank was at 74%, MCAT 36 verbal 13. I felt like I got a craptastic exam and that this went poorly. Such is life.

228. I can't say I'm terribly happy with that, given how practice tests were going. I'm not really sure what went wrong, but c'est la vie.

I was definitely pulling for you, man. Your practice scores were solid. I'll spare you the perfunctory platitudes, but at least we're done with this mess, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
228. I can't say I'm terribly happy with that, given how practice tests were going. I'm not really sure what went wrong, but c'est la vie.

Rejoice you have a 98! In my country, everybody would love to take that score and not run after insane 260+ :) Congrats on passing your Step1!

Got my score at 10AM CST.

254/99. Very happy!

Here are my practice test scores:

NBME 7 (2 weeks of studying): 234
UWSA 1 (3 weeks): 258
UWSA 2 (4 weeks): 264

UWorld overall: 69% (random, timed, first pass)

I took the test after 5 and a half weeks of studying. Three days before the test, I did no practice questions which kind of had me on edge, but it turned out fine.

Back to being a pseudo MD/PhD.

230/99

- did half of UW, random, tutor, 65%
- FA once, finished about 3 weeks before exam date
- looked at RR and CMMRS for a few topics
- went on vacation the week before the test and did nothing step 1 related
- no UW self-assessments, no NBME practice tests
- took 2 days off before step 1 as well

how do you check ur scores

is it in email

or do u go to ecfmg site

or nbme site

im ecfmg

Login to your account in ECFMG if you're an international, or NBME if you're a national and download that PDF attachment. They don't send it in email.

quick question

took exam on june 27

this is third wednesday

but they say internationals get delay?

logged into ecfgm and it has blank

under your most recent usmle step 1 score:

test date: blank

score report date: blank

i guess what im asking

is should i be worried

there was also no survey blcok at the end of my exam after i finished 7 blocks. no block 8 that is. well it was there during the test. but when i finished 7, it didnt automatically go to blcok 8 if htat makes any sense

what is the 2-digit score for, obviously that wasnt part of the practice test scores so im not really sure what it means

quick question

took exam on june 27

this is third wednesday

but they say internationals get delay?

logged into ecfgm and it has blank

under your most recent usmle step 1 score:

test date: blank

score report date: blank

i guess what im asking

is should i be worried

there was also no survey blcok at the end of my exam after i finished 7 blocks. no block 8 that is. well it was there during the test. but when i finished 7, it didnt automatically go to blcok 8 if htat makes any sense

You only get to block 8 which is survey when you have sufficient brake time left. I had only a minute and a half and therefore it didn't go to survey block. I took my exam on June 10. Curiously, my Test date and Score report date are STILL empty! (ECFMG)

Internationals didn't get any delays. Atleast I didn't. Perhaps because your exam date is late June, you might have to wait another week out. So need to fret :)

Wouldn't this underpredict because the distribution isn't normal? When including all test takers arent there more 170's and 180's than 260's and 270's?

It definitely would underestimate I agree.

Funny thing is, since the NBME keeps the scoring system so obscure and mystical, we can only speculate about things like that.

Anyways, congrats once again to one and all!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just feel the need to throw this out there because I'm seeing a lot of people post their great scores on Step 1 followed by great verbal scores from MCAT. For all those who bombed the MCAT verbal like myself (7 in verbal on two different tests), you don't have to be too worried about your future in medicine.

Studied for 6 weeks:
Knew FA front to back (used usmlerx notecards)
Knew about 70% of Goljan cold great for explanation but you don't need all of his details, if you do so much the better
I did 97% of UWorld and scored 73% overall

thats all I used I did FA three times, Goljan 1.5 times and U World almost, but not quite one full time. Also with UWorld I didn't really even take notes, i did it all timed random sections and focused on using it for my approach to questions rather than the content of the question.

NBME: ~ 232....I think thats it it was low 230s (4.5 weeks into studying)
UWorld 1: 256 (5 weeks into studying)

Actual score 248/99

Now I didn't honor everything all year, I was at the borderline for honoring many times but never made it, and I don't think my school is crazy nationally ranked for anything. All I'm trying to say is don't be discouraged by past testing, work hard in the first two years and work hard for the Step and things will work out.

Last edited:
Studied very hard. UWorld QBank, Kaplan question books, FA, Goljan. Based on practice questions and self assessments, I was expecting a score around 230 (on a good day hoping for closer to 235-240). Felt like the test went as well as practice questions.

Felt like Derm threw a cow pie in my face when I saw 198.

Anyone else experience a 30+ point drop in score overnight? Is it worth getting rechecked? What do they even do to recheck it? Can they tell if my file got switched with someone else's somehow? Has anyone every gotten anything changed following a recheck?

238/99. Very happy with it, especially considering my wife extremely suddenly walked out on me 6 weeks before the test and got served with divorce papers 3 days before the exam....:rolleyes:

Anyone else experience a 30+ point drop in score overnight? Is it worth getting rechecked? What do they even do to recheck it? Can they tell if my file got switched with someone else's somehow? Has anyone every gotten anything changed following a recheck?

similar story here. can it be rechecked? esp if the computer went blank after a section?

I have a question.

If someone fails with a score of 185 or so, what are their chances of passing the exam the second time around?

FA only has a table going up to 178 or so. And it says 83% of them pass.

Congrats to those who have had closure to this distingustingly painful process. Does anyone know when the next batch of scores will be ready for the late June exams that didn't come out today?

Is it daily or weekly or even slower?

Hi everyone - excuse any typos as I'm on my iPod touch

Today was crazy but the grades are in:
250/99

I took NO NMBE practice exams, did 100% USMLEWorld and 60-70% of Kaplan QBank - studied for 3 weeks only (minus you know going through first and second year and all that learning).

Congrats to everyone. To all who are disappointed, I think you're putting way too much stock in practice exam estimations and qbank guesstimations.

The test, just like blocks on the question banks, is a crap shoot - for better or worse. Also I know all of those estimations come with pretty large standard errors and disclaimers about having no connection to actual results.

If you passed, try and enjoy it and appreciate the huge mountain you just climbed. If you failed, I feel for you and wish you the best of luck in the future.

Oh yea test prep for anyone who cares:

1. USMLEWorld Qbank - 100% used- 70% correct
2. Kaplan QBank - 60/70% used - 70% correct
3. BRS Pathology (cover to cover)
4. BRS Biochem (I flipped through it)
5. First Aid - one time through
6. Friend Pimping Game

Timing/Schedule
Ended Year 2 on May 14 - took two weeks off - studied M-F from 9-5 give or take with weekends off - took off days before exam (test date June 25th)

To each their own - only advice is don't push your date back and if your score isn't as good as you expected, don't think rescore or that the computer was out to get you. Let this beast die and move on =)

247 and 99th percentile :)

Just remember that the 2 digit score is not a percentile (there are several people I've talked to who have told me today "I got a ~230 and finished in the 99th percentile!" and then got confused when they asked me for my score).

But that's just semantics. Great job.

The numbers
NBME Basic Science Diagnostic Exam: 195
NBME 7: 203
USMLEworld: 62% Cumulative (started 50% ish, started getting around 65%s towards the end) (Only did about 1100-1200 questions total)

Actual exam: 247/99 (holy crap! :confused:)

Test day
I got there way early with a couple of friends so we were reviewing the FA pictures and some of the higher yield stuff (Embryo, Pharm antidotes, adverse reactions, and those "if everything else fails" micro sections in First Aid). My blocks seemed fairly easy and nothing came really out of left field except for some behavioral science question prompts. Some guy was coughing and sneezing like a felon behind me, which was distracting, but I was almost too amped up to care. I freaked out after the test because I didn't study any heart blood vessel anatomy and I had four questions on it where I just had to completely guess. I left the test feeling OK but sort of dejected that I possibly lost about 10 points on my Step 1 from those questions, but obviously, it worked out okay.

Leading up to the score release, I totally forgot about it, and when I clicked on the NBME website, I was literally shaking in fear. When I saw the 247, which was 44 points higher than my highest practice exam, I went to my roommate's room and screamed in joy. :luck:

Study habits:
I used mostly First Aid and USMLEworld.

I used RR Biochem, but that was totally unnecessary (thanks Taus :rolleyes:).

I did NOT use CMMRS, and it was completely unnecessary as well. First Aid and World was totally enough for all micro.

RR path was only to look at pictures and sometimes things in USMLEworld that were not in FA. Goljan Audio was useful and highly recommended if you have time.

I was feeling pretty crappy until the last three days where I just sat down and started reviewing pharm and just speeding through First Aid again, doing a few questions from the section I just reviewed (ex. finished reviewing cardio, doing 5 questions after selecting just CV questions). I started getting 80-100% on the little mini-sections I was doing, and that really boosted my confidence for test day. Despite what Taus said, I studied until the bitter end, because I couldn't fathom just relaxing the day before. Took an Ambien at 10:30PM, couldn't fall asleep until 12:30AM nevertheless. Woke up at 5:30AM and left at 7:15AM for a 9:00AM exam.

My advice for future test takers
* Study. Study hard. Seriously, don't slack off, because procrastination hurts 100 times more in Step 1 studying time.
* Don't take time off that wasn't sanctioned by your planned schedule, because doing that just created vortexes of regret that took me days to get out of.
* Set aside a certain amount of time a day to study. For me, it was 48 questions per day then 4-6 hours of studying depending on how tired I was. Stick to it, and when you're done, close all your books and relax. You put in your work, you earned your relaxation time.
* First Aid and USMLEworld. These are the only two resources you need to get the score I got. I barely used RR path (too boring) except for pictures and things that USMLEworld referenced that FA didn't have at all.
- Corollary 1: USMLEworld is the single most important friend you have with Step 1. Finish as many questions as you can. Read through the ENTIRE explanation, both right and WRONG answers. Understand the question in its entirety, and you will be a superstar. Tutor mode is total trash. Do the 48 question blocks at one time (or 46 if you're trying to be accurate).
- Corollary 2: Know First Aid. Particularly golden are its Biochem, Micro and Pharm sections (yes, the big section in the beginning of the book and all the little ones in the systems). Know the Pharm COLD, you WILL get asked questions about this.
* On the topic of understanding, I thought Goljan Audio was epic and awesome. RR Path, dense and tough to get through, not worth it unless you want that 265. Goljan Audio, pretty much the easiest listening you will have in medical school. Goljan knows how to explain and emulsify the information into a substance that is easily consumed by our feeble minds. If you have the time and you know you will finish FA and USMLEworld, Goljan Audio is the next thing you should do.
* I do believe I gained most of my points in my final frantic run-through of First Aid in the last 3 days. I am now a believer in repetition to the fullest. Keep on readin'.

Mindset
* Don't freak out. You've been studying your hardest and you've made the most of the time you had. You know all the things you've studied. Go in there, know that you've done all you can, and answer every question to the best of your ability. Come out and be proud of what you've done. Your score doesn't matter, because you know that you have given your best effort, and that's all that you can do.

If you have any questions, PM me.

So happy! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Just remember that the 2 digit score is not a percentile (there are several people I've talked to who have told me today "I got a ~230 and finished in the 99th percentile!" and then got confused when they asked me for my score).

Haha it makes you wonder if they learned stats at all (it was tested on the exam, after all).

"221 +/- 24 for the average, I got a 230 so that's the top 1%!"

Last edited:

What DOES the 99 mean? If not "percentile" how do you know what percentile are? Or does it not matter?

I got a 251/99. Yay!!

There are no percentiles for the USMLE 1 - you can sort of questimate using the mean and the SD - but the distribution of scores isn't exactly normal and you will over estimate/underestimate your percentile depending on where you land relative to the mean.

I have a question.

If someone fails with a score of 185 or so, what are their chances of passing the exam the second time around?

FA only has a table going up to 178 or so. And it says 83% of them pass.

Nagging doubts. Does anyone have an answer to this?

HI all,

I recieved my step 1 score, and honestly I was little disappointed.
I got 92/218. I wanted to ask you folks, Do i have good chance in Internal medicine rotation. MY GPA is 3.58.

thanks you all.

232/99, fine with it considering i felt like i failed

so when you guys say the distribution isn't normal, is it skewed right or left? and how do you know?

232/99, fine with it considering i felt like i failed

so when you guys say the distribution isn't normal, is it skewed right or left? and how do you know?

id imagine with such a large sample size and the score being curved based off of others' performances that it should be a normal distribution.

Having skimmed through the scores on this thread the average seems to be 248 which is just insane. It is either SDN has too many liars or too many geniuses, i hope the latter is true.

261/99...yikes
I did goljan path 4x....first aid 2x...uworld was the best thing ever anyone that doesn't use it could be missing out on a great resource. I was 80% for uworld. I didn't use a lot of resources. Omm really helped for all the anatomy....and in the end GO TO CLASS during first two years. Maybe its luck but I had a lot qs coming straight for classroom not seen in review book. Anyone had thatb experience?

cue at least 3-4 posts explaining the self selection bias :D

(and at least one post with no real contribution hee hee)

Its not that ppl r liars but ppl with really bad scores won't post id imagine

this.. i mean what kind of satisfaction can you possibly get by lying.. in the end of the day no one here will think more of you because you posted a great score. If it makes you feel better for people to clap for you then by all means go ahead. I already decided im not posting my score when I get it no matter what, good great or terrible. Its my business not everyone elses, but I totally support all those who i've been interacting with all summer and whose hard work paid off.

Maybe I am more cynical. But I believe some of the people are exaggerating a little.

It's statistically very unlikerly that of the 100 or so people who score 260+, that 85 of them post here.

Maybe I am more cynical. But I believe some of the people are exaggerating a little.

It's statistically very unlikerly that of the 100 or so people who score 260+, that 85 of them post here.

No that is skeptical...maybe b/c so many scores released at once the distribution looks off...idk. Seeing as i'm one of those people idk what to say...i could prove it but that hardly matters at this point.

I think its interesting that I really didnt utilize FA that much and I was kinda worrying about the exam a few weeks b4 b/c i wasnt following the golden rule of Read FA till your blue in the face...any other people with that experience?

........I think its interesting that I really didnt utilize FA that much and I was kinda worrying about the exam a few weeks b4 b/c i wasnt following the golden rule of Read FA till your blue in the face...any other people with that experience?

Well I didn't read it much after the first few pages here and there. Although being an IMG, I had quite a few months to prepare, FA still is one of the must-reads for most IMG's as well.

I felt that most of the information (that you actually need to retain to do well on the test) is common to all the popular sources, the only differences being styles of presentation and varying emphases on different topics. I just didn't like the FA style of simple factoids being presented without much explanation of the concepts. That of course is the very purpose of the book but it only works if you still have the material fresh in your mind.

The one thing I've been telling all those who asked me for advice is that do not be afraid to make up your own study plan. If the most commonly used resources aren't working out for you but something else is, go ahead and leave out the former. Whatever works for you, is what I'm trying to say.

238/99. Very happy with it, especially considering my wife extremely suddenly walked out on me 6 weeks before the test and got served with divorce papers 3 days before the exam....:rolleyes:

Ouch. Just be glad you have no assets yet (presumably).

Congrats on the solid score!

:thumbup:

I'm pretty sure many have been embellished by 10 pts or so.

We're talking about med students here, the descendants of premeds.

I was a huge part of the pre-step 1 forums..totally ecstatic that I was sitting with other SDN'ers with my nbme scores..range 238-253. Five days out, NBME 7 = 251. I went through uworld and rx, FA 3X, goljan path 3X and felt pretty confident that I'd pull my ~245 and be competitive for a shot at rad, derm, whatever.

231/99.

Are you kidding me!?

I ran to this forum to see if anyone else experienced crazy drops like I did, but everyone here annihilated. Lol congrats to all. And I don't mean to be a debbie downer because some people would be happy with my score. But I think life is all about expectations right? Hard work is also supposed to pay off.