Just a few questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpop

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am an aspiring pre-opto student and I just have a few questions that I can't seem to find from college's websites and whatnot.

So, is this stuff kind of like Medical School applications with ECs, shadowing, clinical experience, etc? I can't seem to find anything on my choice of schools and I'm kind of worried!

I also found out earlier this weekend that I am able to get a job as an optometry technician with my Medical Assistant certification (currently getting my associates in a bunch of medical careers). Has anyone done this and if so how did it work?

So pretty much I'd just like some information on how to make my application more competitive and such.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I am an aspiring pre-opto student and I just have a few questions that I can't seem to find from college's websites and whatnot.

So, is this stuff kind of like Medical School applications with ECs, shadowing, clinical experience, etc? I can't seem to find anything on my choice of schools and I'm kind of worried!

I also found out earlier this weekend that I am able to get a job as an optometry technician with my Medical Assistant certification (currently getting my associates in a bunch of medical careers). Has anyone done this and if so how did it work?

So pretty much I'd just like some information on how to make my application more competitive and such.

Thanks!
Don’t worry too much.

Yes, it involves ECs, shadowing, clinical experience, etc. You’ll see all of the things you can add/need on the OptomCAS application when you’re applying.

I can’t comment on the medical assistant certification with optometry technician job myself, but I think the only req for optometry tech/assistant is high school diploma and some previous experience. It’s entry level I believe.

To make yourself and your application more competitive overall just be sure to have a good amount of optometry experience in shadowing and volunteering, but also non-optometry volunteering and ECs. Have a good GPA and great OAT along with strong letters of recommendation. You’ll be good to go for whatever prorgram you’re interested in.

To answer the optometric assistant question, it depends where you do it. Where I live, CPOA (certified Para-optometric assistants) requires more hours in school compared to medical assistants. Some Optometric clinics may hire a medical assistant (since they're versatile/general) , but a) you'll get paid less and b) you might not be able to do as much as you can do if you were an optometric assistant. Again, that's for my state (Florida) and from what I've experienced. Ask the employer questions on what they need you to do, and ask for the starting pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to redirect the thread, but does anyone have some insight into the relationship between optometrists and ophthalmologists? I just started shadowing an optometrist and based on how he talked, it was mostly a hate-hate relationship. Summarizing what he told me, they all dislike each other in my community. He told me he threatened a couple ophthalmologist groups that he wouldn't send them any referrals if they didn't send his group referrals or if they started selling eye glass prescriptions. They both send each other referrals regularly, but everything seems really hostile. Based on the tone and language which I can't repeat here, they legit hate each other. I hope it isn't like this everywhere.

Not to redirect the thread, but does anyone have some insight into the relationship between optometrists and ophthalmologists? I just started shadowing an optometrist and based on how he talked, it was mostly a hate-hate relationship. Summarizing what he told me, they all dislike each other in my community. He told me he threatened a couple ophthalmologist groups that he wouldn't send them any referrals if they didn't send his group referrals or if they started selling eye glass prescriptions. They both send each other referrals regularly, but everything seems really hostile. Based on the tone and language which I can't repeat here, they legit hate each other. I hope it isn't like this everywhere.
I don't believe it's like that everywhere. You seemed to be around an unfortunate experience with the two professionals. My OD that I shadowed and her ophthalmologist connects had a great relationship and she would always commend them when talking to me about them, sometimes also recommend me to shadow them or something.

^ Agreed; my ophthalmologist actually encouraged me to go into Optometry over medicine lol. He has a lot of respect for and has a great relationship with the OD's he works with.

I don't believe it's like that everywhere. You seemed to be around an unfortunate experience with the two professionals. My OD that I shadowed and her ophthalmologist connects had a great relationship and she would always commend them when talking to me about them, sometimes also recommend me to shadow them or something.

^ Agreed; my ophthalmologist actually encouraged me to go into Optometry over medicine lol. He has a lot of respect for and has a great relationship with the OD's he works with.

Thanks for the replies. That is reassuring. Maybe I'll go to the next town over and get some additional shadowing experience. With the place I'm at now, it almost seemed like the mafia, lol.