Just accepted to a MSW program - just found out today - need scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very low SES and URM and I want to save the world. So I applied to a very well regarded online MSW program from my alma mater and today I just found out I was accepted. Throughout the process I was informed I was a very strong candidate for admission based on my life experiences, essays, recommendations, grades, and idealism. So despite the selectivity of the program, I was pretty sure I would get in. (I just kinda forgot I applied since life is very hectic)

I was also accepted into and deferred a post-bacc premed program, was going to pay for it out of pocket next semester - just found out about this acceptance. I decided to be a doctor to change the world (and get paid better doing so)

Haven't found out my financial aid package yet but let's just say I can't go if it's only loans. I can't. I am not eligible for any federal loans and my credit is probably prohibitive from getting any private loans without a co-signer and I don't have a co-signer.

@Goro @gonnif

If by some miracle I was able to do both or even pick social work over pre-med, are there scholarships for MSW programs? The program is about $100K and no, I'm not eligible for student loans having had all mine discharged by total and permanent disability. I do work but I am at the poverty income line.

1. URM/AA/Hispanic
2. Female
3. Disabled
4. low SES

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Alas, this is way outside my knowledge base. Sorry.

I am very low SES and URM and I want to save the world. So I applied to a very well regarded online MSW program from my alma mater and today I just found out I was accepted. Throughout the process I was informed I was a very strong candidate for admission based on my life experiences, essays, recommendations, grades, and idealism. So despite the selectivity of the program, I was pretty sure I would get in. (I just kinda forgot I applied since life is very hectic)

I was also accepted into and deferred a post-bacc premed program, was going to pay for it out of pocket next semester - just found out about this acceptance. I decided to be a doctor to change the world (and get paid better doing so)

Haven't found out my financial aid package yet but let's just say I can't go if it's only loans. I can't. I am not eligible for any federal loans and my credit is probably prohibitive from getting any private loans without a co-signer and I don't have a co-signer.

@Goro @gonnif

If by some miracle I was able to do both or even pick social work over pre-med, are there scholarships for MSW programs? The program is about $100K and no, I'm not eligible for student loans having had all mine discharged by total and permanent disability. I do work but I am at the poverty income line.

1. URM/AA/Hispanic
2. Female
3. Disabled
4. low SES

Any help would be appreciated.

Funding and scholarships vary so much by school. I picked a solid low-cost state school so the loans wouldn't kill me. I was afraid I wouldn't get any scholarships. I ended up only getting one or two small ones, but it was still $$ I didn't have to pay back. But then I got a ton of stipends through areas that our state had given our schools grants for (mental health in primary care). I got 2/3 of my program paid for. Online programs don't always do those types of stipends so your mileage may vary.

TL DR -- research your schools options and call them and specifically ask about finding, stipends, and scholarships.