Just an observation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, it's well known that I am a diagnosed crazy. But, you're right, that's a digression. Sorry jkq, because of my line of work and aspirations I get particularly snippy about animal rights folks - they tend to, like, firebomb people's houses in my field.

Members don't see this ad.

That's okay, nyanko, cause I'm apparently crazy too. :banana: Misery loves company. :biglove:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that pre-meds think they are better. It's that simple. Everyone wants to believe that they have to work harder, study longer, strive the most because it's validating. I think it will always be this way, and I don't think it's personal. (Except in Electrophile's case, they were just mean to her!)

I think any field that draws many intense, intelligent, type-A, driven personalities (and I think it's fair to say that this is true in ALL forms of medicine) is going to sometimes suffer a superiority complex. After all of the work, time, and money you invest in your chosen path, wanting to get a little validation is understandable. That being said...yes, a lot of the pre-meds that I know very well at school do feel they are "better". I'm not by any means saying that this is a universal belief, but I think it's pretty common (in my experience, at least).

My absolute best friend at college was just accepted to med school, and while I think he mostly respects what I am choosing to do, I know it's not due to an inherent respect for the field. He knows I work extremely hard (harder than him or many other pre-meds) and am completely focused on the goal of vet school. It is that drive and dedication that he respects. NOT the field of veterinary medicine. He has let a few comments slip along the lines that I won't be a "real doctor", vet school would be easy compared to his classes, and my work doesn't really "matter". I love the kid, but it's frustrating to hear this from someone who has watched me work my tail off over the past three years. After experiencing this attitude, I guess I can see where med student misperceptions come from if they aren't as close to vet/pre-vet students.

It's depressing is all. You want something so bad and work for it so hard and there are still so many people out there who just don't get it. A lot of people who choose the vet school path want it so badly for so long that it becomes a part of them. It's a passion, and it gets to the point where you can't separate where that passion and career interest ends and the real YOU begins. I know that I've poured SO much into pursuing vet med that there aren't very many aspects of "me" that are untouched by it. That may sound a bit unhealthy, but I'm so happy with that choice. I love so much about the classes I take, the jobs and experiences I've had, and my future as (hopefully!) a veterinarian, that I wouldn't change a thing.

And when a large chunk of another professional medical field just can't understand and continually invalidate your work, you can't help but feel...small sometimes. Some days I feel like Rodney Dangerfield -- "I can't get no respect." :confused:

I will now climb off the soapbox for today. ;)

I think any field that draws many intense, intelligent, type-A, driven personalities (and I think it's fair to say that this is true in ALL forms of medicine) is going to sometimes suffer a superiority complex. After all of the work, time, and money you invest in your chosen path, wanting to get a little validation is understandable. That being said...yes, a lot of the pre-meds that I know very well at school do feel they are "better". I'm not by any means saying that this is a universal belief, but I think it's pretty common (in my experience, at least).

My absolute best friend at college was just accepted to med school, and while I think he mostly respects what I am choosing to do, I know it's not due to an inherent respect for the field. He knows I work extremely hard (harder than him or many other pre-meds) and am completely focused on the goal of vet school. It is that drive and dedication that he respects. NOT the field of veterinary medicine. He has let a few comments slip along the lines that I won't be a "real doctor", vet school would be easy compared to his classes, and my work doesn't really "matter". I love the kid, but it's frustrating to hear this from someone who has watched me work my tail off over the past three years. After experiencing this attitude, I guess I can see where med student misperceptions come from if they aren't as close to vet/pre-vet students.

It's depressing is all. You want something so bad and work for it so hard and there are still so many people out there who just don't get it. A lot of people who choose the vet school path want it so badly for so long that it becomes a part of them. It's a passion, and it gets to the point where you can't separate where that passion and career interest ends and the real YOU begins. I know that I've poured SO much into pursuing vet med that there aren't very many aspects of "me" that are untouched by it. That may sound a bit unhealthy, but I'm so happy with that choice. I love so much about the classes I take, the jobs and experiences I've had, and my future as (hopefully!) a veterinarian, that I wouldn't change a thing.

And when a large chunk of another professional medical field just can't understand and continually invalidate your work, you can't help but feel...small sometimes. Some days I feel like Rodney Dangerfield -- "I can't get no respect." :confused:

I will now climb off the soapbox for today. ;)

:claps: well put