Just decided to switch to Pre-Med cGPA 3.53 sGPA 3.38 Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keevwu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
USC student... just decided to make the change from pharmacy to medicine after long thought. I'm a junior now, so I'll be taking a year off to apply to medical school after I graduate.

Haven't taken the MCAT yet, but looking at ~30Q. Gonna take Physics 1 and 2 this summer and next fall, would like to think I'll be getting at least A-'s in them, hopefully boosting my science GPA.

cumulative GPA: 3.53
science GPA: 3.38

ECS:

Internship/shadowing w/ plastic surgeon for a summer (~170 hrs)

Worked as a medical assistant for an Ophthalmologist for a summer. (~90 hours)

Volunteering at a medical clinic and shadowing an Internal Medicine physician for about 2 years. Never really kept track of the hours, too many to count.

Taught underprivileged kids in LA Chemistry in an education program at USC. 1 semester, about 70 hours.

I was on the USA national team for Taekwondo (2010-2011). Also was an assistant instructor for the UCSD team for a quarter (before I transferred) helping beginners. (side question: how much do you guys think this will help me in the admissions process?)

My friend also says he will try to hook me up with a research position on Kidney transplants, so if that goes well then I'll have about a year of research experience before applying. Also going to help my bro on his research paper, and my name will be in the credits.

Also, I have 2 very very good letters of recommendations from two MD's. Now I just gotta work on talking to my professors for some recs (never been to office hours in my life).

Thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Numbers are good for some MD programs, but a tad below those of the UC system. If you can get the cGPA >3.5, then you'll be in good shape. Shoot for >30 on the MCAT.
You're in great shape for any DO program.

USC student... just decided to make the change from pharmacy to medicine after long thought. I'm a junior now, so I'll be taking a year off to apply to medical school after I graduate.

Haven't taken the MCAT yet, but looking at ~30Q. Gonna take Physics 1 and 2 this summer and next fall, would like to think I'll be getting at least A-'s in them, hopefully boosting my science GPA.

cumulative GPA: 3.53
science GPA: 3.38

ECS:

Internship/shadowing w/ plastic surgeon for a summer (~170 hrs)

Worked as a medical assistant for an Ophthalmologist for a summer. (~90 hours)

Volunteering at a medical clinic and shadowing an Internal Medicine physician for about 2 years. Never really kept track of the hours, too many to count.

Taught underprivileged kids in LA Chemistry in an education program at USC. 1 semester, about 70 hours.

I am currently in the TAP program at USC which guarantees me a spot in the pharmacy school (equivalent to a Bacc/MD program, except for pharmacy). I probably won't be taking that spot, but should I mention that I was in this program on my app?

I was on the USA national team for Taekwondo (2010-2011). Also was an assistant instructor for the UCSD team for a quarter (before I transferred) helping beginners. (side question: how much do you guys think this will help me in the admissions process?)

My friend also says he will try to hook me up with a research position on Kidney transplants, so if that goes well then I'll have about a year of research experience before applying. Also going to help my bro on his research paper, and my name will be in the credits.

Also, I have 2 very very good letters of recommendations from two MD's. Now I just gotta work on talking to my professors for some recs (never been to office hours in my life).

Thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in the TAP program at USC which guarantees me a spot in the pharmacy school (equivalent to a Bacc/MD program, except for pharmacy). I probably won't be taking that spot, but should I mention that I was in this program on my app?
No - you'll just open yourself up for questions about pharm vs. medicine that you don't need to answer.

Interesting extracurriculars are always a plus, although the question of how much it will help varies drastically between specific adcoms. I wouldn't be surprised if you have interviewers ask you questions about teamwork, leadership, teaching, etc. based off of this experience.

You're on track - looks like you've already identified the things you need to work on and are making headway in every area. :thumbup: