Just finished my freshman year, am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenoobrules

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I just finished my freshman year at a large state university and I wanted to know if I was on the right track for medical school.

4.0 GPA (all As and 2 A+, my school doesn't treat A+ differently when calculating GPA)

worked at a research lab 10hrs/wk year-round (plant to continue to work at the lab for the next three years)

Did 33 hours of hospital volunteering last summer and plan volunteer another 40 hours this summer at the same hospital (in the Post Anesthesia Recovery Unit).

This summer I also plan on volunteering at a local free clinic (4-6 hrs/wk). I will probably work at the pharmacy there or maybe as an assistant to the nurses there.

This summer I also plan to shadow an orthopedic surgeon on 3 surgery days (entire day). I'm hoping to shadow a cardiothoracic surgeon as well.

I also plan on becoming CPR certified this summer and taking an EMT-B course next summer.

I am also very involved in my temple (more so during the summer because I go to college 2 hours from home).

During the year I volunteered with a thing called the Crazy Story Club (read stories once a week at the local elementary school) and with an organization that helped out at the local family shelter.

I was also part of a shadowing program where prospective high school seniors shadowed my during a day of classes. I was also involved on the campus programming board and had a leadership position for a semester.

Finally, I am a member of Phi Delta Epsilon (for those of you that don't know, that is the international medical and pre medical fraternity) and served on many committees for it. Through PhiDE I volunteered with Habitat for Humanity and College Mentors for Kids.

Those are my accomplishments so far. I just wanted to know if I am on the right track in terms of preparation for medical school. I know it is too early to tell and anything can happen, but any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty impressive list of ECs for a freshman. You are doing well. Keep in mind that it isn't about the quantity but rather the quality. The admissions committees like seeing people who have invested a significant amount of time in an activity that they are truly passionate about. You certainly appear to have all the bases covered. Now for the remainder of your college years you may want to cut down on some activities so you can invest more time in your more important ones.

Noggin,
Yeah that was one of my concerns. I feel like I am not devoting enough time to some of my activities and i plan on cutting back next year as coursework becomes more difficult and also to get more involved in the remaining activities.
Thanks for the input.