Just getting started, any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just signed up with this site. I am starting my undergrad classes next week and I am ready to get it going. I am currently 26 and will hopefully graduate by time I am 30 because I work fulltime. Any way I joined the Navy when I was 19 and got out when I was 23. I worked in communications so I figured that I should get a degree in that, so I wasted 2 years getting an associates degree in Computer and Electronics Engineering. Well now I see that there are no jobs in the IT/Electronics area, I decided to work toward an MD instead of getting a BS in Engineering. Anyway I am really interested in pursuing a career in neurology, so I am taking classes for a BS in Biological Sciences Specialization in Medical Science. Will this be a good degree? The only other pre-med degree is a chemistry degree. There are only two medical schools in my area, Saint Louis University and Washington University, so my choices are slim. I really don't know what I can do while working on my BS to help with my acceptance into med school, like volunteer work, or research. The only thing that I can do is keep by GPA as high as I can and score well on the MCAT. Any advice on activities that I should try to get involved with is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

First and foremost: DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE who tells you that you HAVE TO HAVE a certain degree to get into med school. Statistically, the most accepted major for acceptance to med school is music. Major in what you like, NOT what someone else says to. There are certain classes you have to have to get in: one year of biology, two years of chemistry, one year of physics, etc. Some schools require calculus or statistics as well. (God, I HATE those biology professors that insist you get a bio degree. Idiots.) Ok. Off my soap box now.

Two med schools? Lucky. Colorado has one, and the stats are really competitive. Just study what you like, so your GPA is more likely to be high. If you study biology and find out you hate it, your GPA is likely to be lower than if you study pottery (if that's your passion). As for EC's, you'd be surprised what comes up and what's available. I can't imagine that your time in the services would not count for something.

Whatever you decide to do for EC's, make sure it's something you're actually interested in. There are tons of folks who are in all kinds of clubs and organizations, shadow this doctor, volunteer at the hospital. You want to find something you're passionate about, learn something from, and love to talk about.

Good luck! Glad to have you aboard. :)

Keep your focus on getting the best grades you can. And, regarding EC's, I reiterate the point about finding something you're intersted in. Since you're intersted in neuro, you might consider volunteering in a rehab, where you'd get contact with neurologists and stroke/brain damage victims. (p.S. If you havet he right volunteer job, it is very motivating!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up getting a double BA in theatre arts and classics, and have been assured by many post-bac programs (and two doctors) that the degree doesn't matter as much as the other premed things, i.e. pre-req courses, ECs, MCAT etc.

I've also had people try to force me into certain ECs, saying "this is what med schools want", but as others have said here, it just isn't going to work if you don't enjoy them. From what I can tell, a lot of med schools ask in-depth questions based on the ECs you list on your application, so it's better to take activites you enjoy; your enthusiasm will inevitably come out, and they'll get a better picture of what makes you "tick" more than watching you discuss details of an EC you can't stand.

Just my two denarii. The currency exchange is around the corner. :D

Thanks for all the advice. Like I said, I am just starting my BS program. My school also offers a BS in Genetic Engineering, that sounds interesting. I have this semester and maybe next to decide. It seems like it will take forever :(

jrh said:
Thanks for all the advice. Like I said, I am just starting my BS program. My school also offers a BS in Genetic Engineering, that sounds interesting. I have this semester and maybe next to decide. It seems like it will take forever :(

Hi there,
You can major in any discipline as long as you take the core pre-med courses. These are General Biology with lab, General Chemistry with lab, General Physics with lab and Organic Chemistry with lab.

You should also be aware of other specific school requirements like Calculus, Genetics etc. This means that you should look at the on-line information for the schools that interest you and make sure that you include these courses in your pre-medical education.

You need to do very well in your coursework so majoring in something of interest helps greatly. There is no one specific major that will guarantee acceptance into medical school. Major in what you love and do well.

Develop solid and disciplined study skills. I don't care if you have a photographic memory, you need to be able to assimulate large amounts of information in a short period of time in medicine. This means that you develop study skills that will enable you to do this. Learn to read critically and actively. Learn to articulate your ideas verbally and by the written word. Good readers are always good writers so turn off the TV and read. Mastering these skills while you are an undergraduate will greatly help your performance in medical school. Not only do you have to get in, you want to STAY in medical school.

Don't join lots of campus organizations just to pad your resume. Do some solid community service in something that you enjoy. This can be as simple as tutoring some kids on an evening a week; working in a soup kitchen, volunteering at a men's shelter, Habitat for Humanity etc.

You also need to find a physician to shadow. This need not be anything very formal but you should have this experience and be prepared to draw upon it for your personal statement for your AMCAS.

Get into and stay in good physical condition. Medical school is a marathon and not a sprint. Not only does physical activity help with stress reduction, it also helps keep you focused on your goal.

Write down your goal and do something toward it every day. Keep a journal (notebook). This can be as simple as: Today's Date Goal - To become a physician. Activity today - Reviewed the requirements for University of Minnesota Medical School. Then make some notes about what you learned from your activity. Your activity tomorrow might be contacting the local medical society to find a physician to shadow or contacting the local volunteer organization to find an agency to help with. Again, this activity helps you keep your goal in mind and helps you see your movement toward it on a daily basis.

Find out if your undergraduate institution has a pre-med advisory commitee and meet all of their deadlines for things such as mock interviews, submitting letters of recommendation. Do this early so that when you are ready to apply to medical school, you have your composite letter ready to go.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!
njbmd