Just got accepted to an early acceptance program: biggest dilemma I've faced!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

downforwhatever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN!

First off, I'd like to thank all of you for keeping this community so vibrant and informative. This is my first post but I've been an avid lurker ever since I decided I want to be a doctor. This site has sorta been my pre-med adviser.

Now here is my situation:

I just got accepted to GW School of Medicine through their Early Assurance Program. I am ecstatic because I loved GW when I visited and I also love DC. However, something I'm no ecstatic about is the price. I go to a state school undergrad and I know that the price for my in-state med school is MUCH cheaper (and better ranked). I'm conflicted as to what decision to make, or HOW to make this decision. What factors should I consider? What would you do?

Thanksssss

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN!

First off, I'd like to thank all of you for keeping this community so vibrant and informative. This is my first post but I've been an avid lurker ever since I decided I want to be a doctor. This site has sorta been my pre-med adviser.

I just got accepted to GW School of Medicine through their Early Assurance Program. I am ecstatic because I loved GW when I visited and I also love DC. However, something I'm no ecstatic about is the price. I go to a state school undergrad and I know that the price for my in-state med school is MUCH cheaper (and better ranked). I'm conflicted as to what decision to make, or HOW to make this decision. What factors should I consider? What would you do?

Thanksssss

Army

I would take the sure thing and be much happier for the next few years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi SDN!

Thanksssss

Is this binding? There are some early assurance/acceptance programs that allow you to apply to other schools if you want, you just keep that school in your back pocket. Other programs will take away your guaranteed acceptance if you fill out an AMCAS for other schools. So if this is not binding, go ahead and submit an AMCAS for your in-state school and any other school you would consider - if you get accepted, great! You can choose the cheaper school. If you don't get accepted, great! You still have GW. If it is binding, take it. It's a pricey school, but you won't have to go through the hassle and expenditure of the whole application process.

I believe the previous posters are referring to joining the army or other armed forces--they pay for you to go to medical school in return for 4+ years of service. You can also look at the National Health Service Corps if you're interested in a primary care field - they pay for your schooling and you owe them 4+ years in an underserved area after graduation.

Why apply if you didn't want it/had misgivings?

Is this binding? There are some early assurance/acceptance programs that allow you to apply to other schools if you want, you just keep that school in your back pocket. Other programs will take away your guaranteed acceptance if you fill out an AMCAS for other schools. So if this is not binding, go ahead and submit an AMCAS for your in-state school and any other school you would consider - if you get accepted, great! You can choose the cheaper school. If you don't get accepted, great! You still have GW. If it is binding, take it. It's a pricey school, but you won't have to go through the hassle and expenditure of the whole application process.

I believe the previous posters are referring to joining the army or other armed forces--they pay for you to go to medical school in return for 4+ years of service. You can also look at the National Health Service Corps if you're interested in a primary care field - they pay for your schooling and you owe them 4+ years in an underserved area after graduation.
is the service corps only for primary care?

peace of mind

:laugh: oh the irony

is the service corps only for primary care?

Yes, although there are several specialties that fall under primary care. If you are accepted to do NHSC and decide against doing primary care, the money turns into a loan with a huge interest rate. So only do it if you are sure you are going to go into some form of primary care.

:laugh: oh the irony

Yes, although there are several specialties that fall under primary care. If you are accepted to do NHSC and decide against doing primary care, the money turns into a loan with a huge interest rate. So only do it if you are sure you are going to go into some form of primary care.
the only requirement listed on the site is: 'A school of allopathic or osteopathic medicine, pursuing the M.D. or D.O. degree"

where did you get your info from?

Members don't see this ad :)
the only requirement listed on the site is: 'A school of allopathic or osteopathic medicine, pursuing the M.D. or D.O. degree"

where did you get your info from?

1) From the financial aid talk at every interview I went on, and they all stressed to not sign up for it unless you are sure.

2) "The NHSC Scholarship Program (NHSC SP) awards scholarships to students pursuing primary health care professions training in NHSC-eligible disciplines in return for a commitment to provide health care to communities in need, upon graduation and the completion of training."
(Source: http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarships/overview/index.html)

Money doesn't matter in the end... go to the best school you can. You have significantly more opportunities down the road.

thanks for your valuable contribution

Are you intentionally being a tool? He was pointing out the fact that going to a school that you don't have great feelings about for "peace of mind" makes absolutely no sense.

I am admittedly biased against binding programs, so if it's binding I wouldn't take it. If it's non-binding, apply out and see what happens. Signing away your future, including your potential economic future, for "peace of mind" is immature. The application process is neither hard nor terrible. Yes, it's time consuming and long, but it's not like your life is terrible while you're applying. You are clearly accomplished. Continue that level of achievement and you will likely have your choice of schools in however many years.

Are you intentionally being a tool? He was pointing out the fact that going to a school that you don't have great feelings about for "peace of mind" makes absolutely no sense.

I believe MT Headed was referring to the irony that OP applied for peace of mind, yet it resulted in the "biggest dilemma" he's ever faced, the opposite of peace of mind.

Really OP, it's not a huge dilemma. You are obviously very capable of getting into medical school if you were awarded a guaranteed acceptance. If you absolutely can't justify the $$ for GW, apply regularly to cheaper schools. Med school will be expensive no matter where you go.

OP, as NickNaylorr said, you should take it if it's non-binding, only.

Personally, I've heard some not-so-good stuff about GWU-SOM...and while I love DC and whatnot, the school itself is striking me as "shady." I'm sure the commoners at SDN know some of what I'm talking about, yes?

That being said, sure-getting into medical school can be challenging, and maybe getting the hurdle out of the way early is nice.

But if iwere me, I'd go to the state school because of cost, and potential to go to other schools that are better. (assuming it is binding).

How is your current gpa? How are your ECs shaping up so far? Basically, do you think you will be able to get into a school you would like a lot better than GW?

I am admittedly biased against binding programs, so if it's binding I wouldn't take it. If it's non-binding, apply out and see what happens. Signing away your future, including your potential economic future, for "peace of mind" is immature. The application process is neither hard nor terrible. Yes, it's time consuming and long, but it's not like your life is terrible while you're applying. You are clearly accomplished. Continue that level of achievement and you will likely have your choice of schools in however many years.

I agree with this. I was actually admitted to an early assurance program at Tufts Med, and after a lot of debate, I decided to apply out. Though the decision was hard to make at the time, I am in retrospect really happy with my decision. I now have some options available to me that I prefer over Tufts Med. To me, it's not worth it to taking the easy road now only to be left wondering "what if?" later down the road.

Best of luck with your decision! :)

How is your current gpa? How are your ECs shaping up so far? Basically, do you think you will be able to get into a school you would like a lot better than GW?
i'm pretty sure i can do better. i have a 4.0 and all the necessary ECs. it's just such a hassel!

OP, as NickNaylorr said, you should take it if it's non-binding, only.

Personally, I've heard some not-so-good stuff about GWU-SOM...and while I love DC and whatnot, the school itself is striking me as "shady." I'm sure the commoners at SDN know some of what I'm talking about, yes?

That being said, sure-getting into medical school can be challenging, and maybe getting the hurdle out of the way early is nice.

But if iwere me, I'd go to the state school because of cost, and potential to go to other schools that are better. (assuming it is binding).
share! what have you heard about GW SOM?? i'm curious!

Army? Can you elaborate? lol

Apply for the HPSP scholarship and they will cover full tuition for 4 years plus a monthly stipend of $2,000

But for every year the scholarship is awarded (you can choose a 3 or 4 year one) you pay back via Active duty service as a medical officer 2nd lieutenant in the military. The military obligation though is 8 years max so for example if you did a 4 year HPSP scholarship you will do 4 year active duty then 4 year inactive - meaning you live your civilian life unless they call you back for an emergency.
If you do a 3 year HPSP (8 year obligation still applies) but you owe 3 year active duty and 5 year inactive duty.
You can do your active duty right after medical school before residency training which can also help you after your service for residency, or you can serve after residency as a military physician.

Also being in the medical corps opens up a lot of doors in the near future, but people doing this only for the money don't enjoy it, but I suggest you research it more - also don't believe everything a recruiter says to you - they will say anything to get you to sign up. You can sign up for this scholarship as long as you have been accepted to Med school etc.

As a medical officer you do GMO tours most likely in the navy etc - basically meaning you can go overseas to remote locations etc, as a medical officer you can either be a flight surgeon, undersea medical officer or battalion surgeon who are assigned to a marine battalion specifically. GMO tours can last for a while but count as your active duty. One of the major deterring factors for this is because most people have a family or can't stand the fact ton be away from their family if they meet someone in med school etc.

no thanks. military is not for me. i'm a pacifist :)

You don't even go into combat you would be too much of a liability...

You're a medical officer in the military helping soldiers and even their families on home bases or even overseas depending on your billet while also doing cool things like maybe jumping out of a helo or deep sea dives

You don't even go into combat you would be too much of a liability...

You're a medical officer in the military helping soldiers and even their families on home bases or even overseas depending on your billet while also doing cool things like maybe jumping out of a helo or deep sea dives

I been thinking about that for a long while, what a cool experience... :( but I think I am too family oriented

National Health Service Corp (NHSC): These competitive support-for-service scholarships will pay the tuition and required fees for the academic year and provide a monthly stipend for 12 months. For each year of the scholarship support, the recipients owe 1 year of full-time primary health care services in a health professional shortage area, where assigned by the NHSC. There is a 2-year minimum service obligation.
Preference for these awards will be given to applicants who have:
previously received NHSC scholarships
participated in the Federal "Scholarship Program for Students of Exceptional Financial Need" at their medical schools
come from disadvantaged backgrounds
characteristics that increase the probability they will continue to practice in Health Professional Shortage Areas after they complete their service obligations.
For additional information, contact NHSC at 1(800) 638-0824 or stop by the Student Fiscal Affairs Office.

Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program: The Armed Forces provides financial assistance to medical students in return for active duty in the Air Force, Army, or Navy. The Armed Forces pay full tuition and fees, books and supplies and a monthly stipend for 12 months. For each year of the award, students must serve one year in the Armed Forces. Applicants are selected based on academic performance, leadership potential, faculty recommendations and a strong commitment to practice as a medical officer.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
United States citizen
enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an accredited medical school in the U.S., Puerto Rico, or any U.S. territory
physically and morally qualified
sign an agreement that they will complete the program, accept commission in the appropriate service, and accept an internship in a military institution
For additional information, contact your local Armed Services Office.

Reference:- http://www.msm.edu/prospective_students/financial_aid/scholarships.aspx

There's more info on the military if not interested look into NHSC.

I been thinking about that for a long while, what a cool experience... :( but I think I am too family oriented

I am too, but it is something I would like to consider - also its good to leave the family because they will be so happy/tearful to see you when you come back - that's my view and long breaks can be good for a family :p

People do this all the time for example when dealing with humanitarian organizations where you leave to a remote location helping for months

I don't know why everyone cares so much about money. You will eat, you will have clean water. You will live under a roof.

If you like GW and felt good there, go there. If you are only worried about money, go there. If there is something else wrong about the place or if you are thinking that you might get a better offer, mull over it some more and then make a decision. If its just money that you are worried about sacrificing, just go with your heart. Money is a matter of the mind... just ignore it when your heart sings with joy! :laugh:

Just some friendly advice. Good luck making the big decision!

Best,
C