Just got accepted to another medical school after May 15th deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadbury325

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- I am hoping someone can help me with this question before I go call AMCAS and am put on hold for a couple of hours!
I was accepted to one school and just got accepted to NYMC (after May 15th deadline of holding one school). My question is - can I hold these two schools since they did tell me after the above deadline? I am still waiting for my fin. aid packet and campus assignment (which will be a factor of where i go). anybody had any experience with this situation? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing that to take the new offer, you have to bump the old one

Members don't see this ad :)
Search other threads about this because they may offer more help, but I suggest you call the school you just got into and see how long you have to decide to take the acceptance (AMCAS no longer protects you after May 15th). See if they'll let you wait to make a deposit for the acceptance until you find out about fin aid. If not, you could try calling the other school you're holding a spot at and see if they'll allow you to hold both spots pending the arrival of your fin aid info. I've even heard on some threads that this prompts some schools to offer scholarships if they want you bad....def. not in my case though. But my understanding is you cannot hold two spots just because you were offered one after May 15th unless you've spoken with the schools and its ok by them. No matter what advice you get on SDN..TALK to the schools....you don't want to jeopardize anything now.

You will have 2 weeks from the posted date of the second acceptance to make your decision. Good luck!

Its up to the schools. Technically you can only hold 1 acceptance by AMCASs "traffic rules," but if your decision depends on financial aid packages it is different. You should contact both schools and let them know why you haven't given either of them a final decision and make sure it is OK with the individual schools.

Its up to the schools. Technically you can only hold 1 acceptance by AMCASs "traffic rules," but if your decision depends on financial aid packages it is different. You should contact both schools and let them know why you haven't given either of them a final decision and make sure it is OK with the individual schools.

I'm not sure this is right. You have 2 weeks to decide once you get an acceptance, but you are not holding an acceptance at that school until you give them the deposit. You do not need to contact your other school. Once you write a check, and they deposit it and give you written confirmation, you now have to drop your other acceptance.

I'm pretty sure that the "two weeks to decide" is for BEFORE May 15th. After that, according to the AMCAS guidelines, schools are NOT required to give you two weeks - I've seen some peple post on SDN that they were given as little as 1 week to decide on their post May 15th acceptances. I'd definitely contact both schools pronto.

I am holding one acceptance but I have received two offers from wait lists after May 15. I have not accepted either offer yet, I have not returned any written offer of acceptance with a check. But can the schools who make the offers from the waitlist determine that I have multiple waitlist offers?...or is the new acceptance reported to AMCAS only after I accept an offer and withdraw from the acceptance that I currently am holding? In other words, am I correct in assuming that offers of acceptance from a waitlist are not reported to AMCAS but only the acceptance of the waitlist offer?

I'd err on the side of assuming that they can see you have an offer of acceptance. This is speculation, of course, but I am basing this on two things: (1) one of my interviewers seemed to know about an acceptance of mine to a totally different school before I did ("Hey, if you decide you'd rather go here than to XYZ, let me know" - two weeks before I found out about it) and (2) A friend of mine received two acceptances in early May, and the school that extended her first acceptance in April (which she had accepted) started frantically calling/emailing her, asking if there was any information she needed etc. - and she never accepted the other two, but just withdrew shortly before the 15th.

Again, the best thing to do is to contact all the schools and see what their protocols are. Congrats!

just ask the schools.

I agree with kdburton.

I received an acceptance phone call a few days ago, and a package the following day. Although I haven't yet sent in the forms and deposit for this school, the other place where I was holding an acceptance sent me an e-mail about the multiple acceptances. They gave me a week to respond whether or not I am still interested in their offer, and they also mentioned that if I can't make a decision within this timeframe for whatever reason, I should call them ASAP. So chances are, even if you haven't confirmed your most recent acceptance, your other school already knows.