Just got my MCATs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azmah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my MCAT score back, and I didn't do well at all. I got a 24, 7P, 7V, 10B. Currently I have a 3.5 cGPA, and a 3.3 sGPA. Got like ~150 hours of volunteer work, I'm about to start volunteering at a hospital next month and getting an internship there, trying to get into research at my university. Got 2 doctors which I will be shadowing, and I have 2 semesters left until I graduate with my B.S. degree.

Any chance of getting into DO schools if I apply broadly, and what are the schools that I would be competitive for, if any.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got my MCAT score back, and I didn't do well at all. I got a 24, 7P, 7V, 10B. Currently I have a 3.5 cGPA, and a 3.3 sGPA. Got like ~150 hours of volunteer work, I'm about to start volunteering at a hospital next month and getting an internship there, trying to get into research at my university. Got 2 doctors which I will be shadowing, and I have 2 semesters left until I graduate with my B.S. degree.

Any chance of getting into DO schools if I apply broadly, and what are the schools that I would be competitive for, if any.

You definitely have a chance (especially at some of the newer schools), although the average MCAT will most likely be higher than 24 at nearly every school, so it's a little bit of an uphill battle. I don't think I would apply with a score below 24, but if you apply very broadly you might get some love depending upon your ECs.

Although if you want a more sure thing I would re-take the MCAT and bump it to at least a 26-27, but I have known plenty of students who have been admitted with 24s.

Waiting for User3 to say you're a shoe in.

In all seriousness, yes apply for the newest DOs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zero interest to retake? If you are willing to do it, take a review course or just spend some time solidly studying and bring up the score to a 26-27. Don't take it unless you are consistently getting above your target on practice tests (i.e. 28/29+).

That said, you should be fine if you apply broadly and smartly and interview well. 24 is not a death sentence, its just significantly reducing your chances compared to a 26-27 (DO matriculant average). Its probably best to apply this cycle, and not wait, unless you are certain you can do much better on a retake. Every year matriculant averages go up (I wouldn't be surprised if they broke 27 for the last cycle), so its just going to get harder and harder.

You're fine if you apply broadly. There's someone on here with similar stats, and already has 3 interviews including at KCOM and KCUMB.

Id say hope for the best - by no means would I say you're "fine" meaning you will def get in. I would retake.

You definitely have a chance (especially at some of the newer schools), although the average MCAT will most likely be higher than 24 at nearly every school, so it's a little bit of an uphill battle. I don't think I would apply with a score below 24, but if you apply very broadly you might get some love depending upon your ECs.

Although if you want a more sure thing I would re-take the MCAT and bump it to at least a 26-27, but I have known plenty of students who have been admitted with 24s.

I plan to apply broadly, but not to all the schools. Maybe around 15 that I might have a chance at.

Lol

Definitely go for the newer schools and a DO LOR can help too. Do you already have your applications in ?

I have to work on getting a DO LOR because there isn't around my area. Thats where the internship comes into play since it allows me to shadow a DO and get credit for it. Its like taking a class.

Zero interest to retake? If you are willing to do it, take a review course or just spend some time solidly studying and bring up the score to a 26-27. Don't take it unless you are consistently getting above your target on practice tests (i.e. 28/29+).

That said, you should be fine if you apply broadly and smartly and interview well. 24 is not a death sentence, its just significantly reducing your chances compared to a 26-27 (DO matriculant average). Its probably best to apply this cycle, and not wait, unless you are certain you can do much better on a retake. Every year matriculant averages go up (I wouldn't be surprised if they broke 27 for the last cycle), so its just going to get harder and harder.

I dont have zero interest in retaking the MCAT, but I already did a review course, but thankfully Kaplan has that higher score guarantee so I can redo it. I was averaging 27 and 29 on my practice tests but I guess I should of expected a drop in score when the real MCAT came around.

I have my application all ready but just need to get my LORs in, I was also waiting so I can have my hospital and internship hours in, but should I just apply anyway?

I plan to apply broadly, but not to all the schools. Maybe around 15 that I might have a chance at.

I have to work on getting a DO LOR because there isn't around my area. Thats where the internship comes into play since it allows me to shadow a DO and get credit for it. Its like taking a class.

I dont have zero interest in retaking the MCAT, but I already did a review course, but thankfully Kaplan has that higher score guarantee so I can redo it. I was averaging 27 and 29 on my practice tests but I guess I should of expected a drop in score when the real MCAT came around.

I have my application all ready but just need to get my LORs in, I was also waiting so I can have my hospital and internship hours in, but should I just apply anyway?

I've heard higher score guarentee sometimes work. I would recommend getting examkrakers and hyper learning Princeton review. Examkrakers got my friends verbal from a 5-6 to a 10

Yes, I think you'll get into somewhere if you apply broadly. What you have "good" going on for you despite being a 24 is that the biology is a 10. Many schools put strong emphasis on that section.

I've heard higher score guarentee sometimes work. I would recommend getting examkrakers and hyper learning Princeton review. Examkrakers got my friends verbal from a 5-6 to a 10

I spent so much money on Kaplan and I really liked their resources, I don't want to spend more money and spread myself too thin with too many different prep courses. If I retake it I will stick to Kaplan.

Yes, I think you'll get into somewhere if you apply broadly. What you have "good" going on for you despite being a 24 is that the biology is a 10. Many schools put strong emphasis on that section.

Really, I thought they put more emphasis on a higher verbal score. But thats good to know.

Really, I thought they put more emphasis on a higher verbal score. But thats good to know.
Some schools/adcom really love the VR section, so there's truth in what you say. However, if they are going to take a gamble on a low MCAT, I think a good BS trumps a good VR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools/adcom really love the VR section, so there's truth in what you say. However, if they are going to take a gamble on a low MCAT, I think a good BS trumps a good VR.

Good for me haha, but has someone compiled a list of DO schools with MCAT/GPA on the forum? I found some old threads but they are really really old, from 2007. Or is there a website that has this information?

Good for me haha, but has someone compiled a list of DO schools with MCAT/GPA on the forum? I found some old threads but they are really really old, from 2007. Or is there a website that has this information?

A lot of schools post the class profile for c/o 2017.

I posted 2012 numbers, so if you look at the old underdogs thread you can find it.

I have similar stats except I have a postbac and slightly lower cGPA like 3.35ish. how much extra considerations like nontraditional/interesting applicant or exceptional personal statement/answers to secondary applications? I only have one letter or reference from a doctor and only one that isn't from my profs. I'm gonna try for a couple schools this year but I'm thinking since I messed up the Mcat it would be better to suck it up and wait til next year (already decided to wait til next year for amcas)

Last edited:
I have similar stats except I have a postbac and slightly lower sGPA like 3.35ish. how much extra considerations like nontraditional/interesting applicant or exceptional personal statement/answers to secondary applications? I only have one letter or reference from a doctor and only one that isn't from my profs. I'm gonna try for a couple schools this year but I'm thinking since I messed up the Mcat it would be better to suck it up and wait til next year (already decided to wait til next year for amcas)
If you look at the increasing averages at Osteopathic colleges, it's fair to say that the numbers game heavily outweighs the holistic approach. I consider EC more as a tool to differentiate you from others in your range rather than something that will makeup for your mistakes. My advice is that unless you're willing to go to a lower end school like LMU-DCOM, LUCOM, ACOM, VCOM-SC, PCOM-GA, KYCOM, WCU-COM, you're much better off retaking that mcat. Yes, I've heard crazy things like a 24 getting into Western Pomona, but the chances to be that kind of anomaly are miniscule.

If you look at the increasing averages at Osteopathic colleges, it's fair to say that the numbers game heavily outweighs the holistic approach. I consider EC more as a tool to differentiate you from others in your range rather than something that will makeup for your mistakes. My advice is that unless you're willing to go to a lower end school like LMU-DCOM, LUCOM, ACOM, VCOM-SC, PCOM-GA, KYCOM, WCU-COM, you're much better off retaking that mcat. Yes, I've heard crazy things like a 24 getting into Western Pomona, but the chances to be that kind of anomaly are miniscule.

I wouldnt mind getting into a lower end school. I just want to GET IN. I plan on applying to ~15 schools and see how that goes. Ill probably apply this year and hope for the best. :thumbup:

what exactly is so bad about these "lower end" schools (except maybe LUCOM)? All of them have plenty of happy, successful students.

what exactly is so bad about these "lower end" schools (except maybe LUCOM)? All of them have plenty of happy, successful students.

What classifies a school to be low end?

Lower end in terms of average GPA/MCAT for accepted students.