Just had an idea about Verbal...SDN's opinion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicalfeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else experiences this while doing some post-game--I just noticed that oftentimes (at least in AAMC 7 and 8) the verbal questions tie into each other quite nicely. The mistakes I make are often not consistent with the answer choices I've made in other questions pertaining to the passage--which means one of them must be wrong! For example, there will be a question asking you to clarify the meaning of a certain word; and then that answer should sort of steer you in the right direction (assuming you answered the first question correctly) for the following question which asks about a topic pertaining to that word. So..if your answers in the two questions don't line up--chances are something is incorrect there.

I wonder if anyone who scores in the 12+ range in Verbal notices this trend? I have this feeling that this may be the difference between a 10-11 on VR and a 12+. Many of my mistakes so far in AAMC 8 have inconsistent answers throughout the theme of the passage. The passages where I miss none at all--the answers are usually consistent with each other, whereas the ones with contradicting answers (not that I notice when I'm doing it..just when I'm post-gaming) are usually the ones where I'll miss 2-3 in the passage.

[Edit: thanks to Gauss for letting me know I violated posting rules :)]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i thought questions don't 'tie' to other questions as in get one wrong you're gonna get the others wrong?

i thought questions don't 'tie' to other questions as in get one wrong you're gonna get the others wrong?

I find that while there's other ways of arriving at the right answer, a lot of the questions can be answered are at least somewhat slightly related to each other. That's why I think I would have some questions right and some wrong, but when I look closer at the passage and its questions on the whole, I realize that my own answers contradict my logic/the passage at some point in the answers. Like, the logic that applies to answering one question is also the same for another--they just ask about something slightly different or change up the question. But the procedure/process of arriving at the right answer is similar.