Just matched fellowship!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hfzballer11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched my dream pain fellowship!! My pain rotations during residency were complete trash, and was constantly getting pulled to staff the OR. My exposure to pain was largely from medical school rotations. I feel like I will be way behind the curve come fellowship time.

What would y’all recommend for me to start reading, how can I get better or even start to learn fluoro anatomy, any go to resources? I had absolutely 0 of this in my anesthesia training. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I will recommend the SIS guidelines and Furman’s book. You are ahead of the game if you did not have bad training in residency.

Reactions: 9 users
You are ahead of the game if you did not have bad training in residency.
Agreed, it's way easier if you don't have bad habits, so no training is better than bad training.

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched my dream pain fellowship!! My pain rotations during residency were complete trash, and was constantly getting pulled to staff the OR. My exposure to pain was largely from medical school rotations. I feel like I will be way behind the curve come fellowship time.

What would y’all recommend for me to start reading, how can I get better or even start to learn fluoro anatomy, any go to resources? I had absolutely 0 of this in my anesthesia training. Thank you!
Read a little. Don’t read too much…you’ll sound like a know-it-all. :)

Furman is great, but...

you could also get a copy of Benzon Pain Medicine and Regional Anesthesia for the basics of pain medicine, because there is more to pain medicine than injections and it is a little challenging to understand the procedures if you do not get the opportunity to perform them.

i got benefit out of Hoppenfelds book Physical examination of the Spine.

Reactions: 1 users
Attachment Disturbances in Adults: Treatment and comprehensive repair. by Brown and Elliot

Improving patient treatment with attachment theory by Hunter

The procedural and medical references are where you want to start. If you want to know why difficult patients are difficult and why you show up the way you do in relationships with them and others in your life then these other two will be helpful. Also will provide some strategies for how to treat them going forward.

Reactions: 3 users
Attachment Disturbances in Adults: Treatment and comprehensive repair. by Brown and Elliot

Improving patient treatment with attachment theory by Hunter

The procedural and medical references are where you want to start. If you want to know why difficult patients are difficult and why you show up the way you do in relationships with them and others in your life then these other two will be helpful. Also will provide some strategies for how to treat them going forward.
Yes, also check out Taking Care of the Hateful Patient(attached).

Attachments

• 100-Papers-in-Clinical-Psychiatry-Personality-Disorders-Taking-care-of-the-hateful-patient..pdf
    950.7 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: 1 users
Agree with SIS Guidelines and Furman, I also have Rathmell, Malanga and Benzon.

Best thing to do IMO is learn spine and peripheral MSK anatomy cold.

Reactions: 2 users
Probably obvious, but I just started fellowship this summer and asked what books were used for my program so I could get somewhat familiar with them. (Furman and Benzon). Congratulations!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about procedural stuff right now. That will come during fellowship. I would focus on physical examination and forming a proper diagnosis. Hoppenfeld's Physical Exam of the Spine and Extremities is the best physical exam book imo. I found Essentials of Pain Medicine by Benzon a good general introduction, although I haven't really found any great comprehensive books.

Don’t worry too much. A good fellowship is going to teach you everything you need to know. No matter what, a good deal of learning takes place when you first go on your own anyway.

Focus on preparing for oral boards. If your program has board examiners, ask them to do questions with you. Buy a board exam book with scenarios and prompts, and work through it with co-residents. I even had my wife read me the questions and I’d give my response, while I was painting our house. You’ll be taking oral boards after being out of the OR for a year, while most of your co-residents will have been practicing anesthesia. I stayed at the same institution for fellowship so I already knew all the anesthesia faculty. We had a couple old-school guys who had been examiners for decades and were fantastic (intimidating being questioned by them, but great practice) and very generous with their time to prep residents and fellows. If you’re going somewhere new, try to get tied in with the anesthesia program’s oral board prep, and possibly fellows in other anesthesia subspecialties.

Principles of Pain Medicine by Carol Warfield is the gold standard IMO. SiS guidelines and ASIPP guidelines are good but doesn’t give you the history of the field …
Amazon product

while a nice book, im not sure a 1040 page book is something that a new fellow should be spending his spare time reading.

id say the same thing about Benzon - a "gold standard" but not worth reading prior to fellowship.

Amazon product

You're a neurologist, right? Any advice for planning for applying for pain as a neurologist starting from PGY-1?
since when does a neurologist get pulled to staff the OR?
Also if you read closely, he did anesthesia training.