Just Saying Hi!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradjd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just joined and am looking around the forum to figure things out. As I've found out in my stalking, the whole law to med thing seems to be fairly common.

Anyway, I'm a young lawyer in the Midwest considering a move to med. I will need to continue working full time to save up and pay down loans to prepare for more school, so school itself won't be for a few years, at least, especially considering that my BA is in theology/ministry, so my math consists of College Algebra and Trig that I took while I was still in HS (because I finished HS classes early) and my science is a piss poor Biology class to fulfill the grad requirement (it honestly felt like a jr high class and I did not really put effort into it).

So, I will just keep stalking around, looking to see what others have done in my situation (I've already found a few similar threads and it's been interesting), but I figured I'd take the time to say 'hello!'

Members don't see this ad.

Salutations. I'm a lawyer who had no math/science since high school. I'm now going to med school in August. It's doable. Feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE: Taking a real step. Just submitted an app to a local CC. And, yes, I've read the warnings about CCs. It's 1/3 the cost of the local university and they have night classes scheduled for the science courses. I plan on doing my intros at the CC (because, as I said above, my only undergrad science was a crappy bio class that taught me nothing I didn't know from high school) and then moving to the University for the advanced classes (as I should be more established in my new firm by then with regular clients and be able to better afford it). I will only be registering for 1 course this time around (a super basic chem class that seems to be a prereq for Gen Chem at all 5 schools I looked at).

It's my understanding based on my lurking that I should do 2 Gen Chems, 2 Org Chems, 2 Bios. It's looking like I'll also have to do another math as my college math was Algebra and Trig and it looks like most schools want Calc or Stats. Any other classes I should consider? (I did see some recommendations of Biochem).

looking to see what others have done in my situation-- watch and learn,very clever :)

Reactions: 1 user
Also, you will need sociology and psych. They want calculus, typically. And physics I and II w/ labs. They also like to see upper level sci courses- at most of the DO schools I'm applying to its a requirement- like Anatomy and phys, microbiology, immunology, etc... Anything 300 level or above. Even if it's not a requirement, it strengthens your app.

And how "piss poor" was this bio? That can mean a lot of things to different people! Some people on here equate that to a b+ lol

Last edited:
IMO you will be very welcomed at DO schools- they tend to give a little more love to non trads. Also Most MDs, and I these were the admissions sites I read from, won't accept prerequisites from CCs.

It's my understanding based on my lurking that I should do 2 Gen Chems, 2 Org Chems, 2 Bios. It's looking like I'll also have to do another math as my college math was Algebra and Trig and it looks like most schools want Calc or Stats. Any other classes I should consider? (I did see some recommendations of Biochem).

Here's what I took, ALL at community college. The ones in bold you definitely want to take. I would get the math done early. It will help in Physics/Gen Chem especially:

Gen Chem I & II (Required)
Orgo Chem I & II (Required)
Physics I & II (Required)
Bio I (Required)
A&P I and II (Required for second bio class, but definitely need to take it for med school)

Microbiology (not required but highly recommended for premed)
College Algebra (Required)
Trigonometry
Calculus I (took for my B.S. in Bio, some med schools may require it)
Stats (Required by some med schools)
Psychology (I took it when I was thinking of PA school, but it will help you for the new MCAT)
Developmental Psychology (I took it when I was thinking of PA school, but it will help you for the new MCAT)
Sociology (I think this is on the new MCAT)
Nutrition
Medical Terminology (another pre-PA class)

Community college sure does have a lot of useful stuff. I should add I also took a bunch of upper level science at a four year university. But I took as much as I could at CC.

@linen5909 : I've found most things to be already answered on this forum and it's been super helpful.

@Grace184 : I knew I forgot something, thanks for the reminder about Phys. I plan on doing upper level classes as well. And I already did Soc & Psych as gen creds for my undergrad. When I talk about Bio being piss poor, I mean the content, not my grade. My grade was great because it was 10th Grade all over again...in college. As for MD admissions, it seems like there are many schools who don't care and some that do are changing policies to now accept CC classes (ie: Hopkins).

@Dares Dareson : Thanks for the list, that's very helpful! I'm planning on doing math early anyway, since it's been quite some time since I've sat in a math class (I did my college math while I was still in high school and haven't done anything above basic bookkeeping since, haha). I will probably do Pre-Calc in the Spring and, if I can find it, Calc I in the Summer. I may also throw in Developmental Psych. My Psych/Soc classes were just broad intros. Also, did you find Medical Terminology to be helpful? The CC I'm looking at offers a low-cred course on it and I'm wondering if I should spend the few hundred or just get used to terminology as I go.

Honestly medical terminology was kind of a waste--especially as a lawyer who is used to deducing the meanings of Latin terms and especially if you are taking A&P and/or working in a hospital. I only took it when I was considering PA school because it was required. I definitely think you should take psych/dev psych though.

Reactions: 1 users
@Dares Dareson : A lawyer and a Catholic. I'm practically a Latin expert! Haha. (Not really). OK. Thanks for the input. That's a few hundred bucks still in my pocket then.

And depending what your undergrad cumulative and science gpa was, if your CC is affordable and your can handle it, throw a fluff science in there each semester- like aacomas (DO applications) broadly expanded their definition of science classes. Go to their website and look up their manual- they have a lot of courses that can be considered sciences as well as easy As.

Ps I'm also catholic and the Latin doesn't help us in this case, although it will give us graces in heaven, as my mom says lol (staunch Irish catholic haha)! but with a law degree I'm sure you'll be quick to put prefixes and suffixes together- it's an easy memorization breakdown

@Grace184 : I've never heard of Latin giving us graces. I'll have to talk to my pastor, he's Irish Catholic. And our assistant is Italian Catholic. So, I've definitely got Latin priests. Haha.

And thanks for the recommendation on the manual. I need to do more research on the DO. I don't know much about those programs...time to lurk the forums more!

Yeah definitely go with what you want and how your science and cumulative gpa pan out- the thing with AMCAS (MD applications) is that when they calculate science gpa it counts chemistry, physics, biology- that's it. So there's no padding so you gotta rock those courses. But I got faith in you!!!

I'm a pharmacist (PharmD) and DO re applicant and just this year they changed to accept pharmacy classes as a science, so that will be a big boost in my science gpa compared to last years where they refused to count ANY credits I took in pharm school as sciences.

@Law2Doc sorry to shine the bat light on you... You give a lot of great advice in the forums and wanted to see if you had any for this gentleman

And I am just completely assuming by your name you went this route, so if I'm wrong, my apologies!

@Law2Doc sorry to shine the bat light on you... You give a lot of great advice in the forums and wanted to see if you had any for this gentleman

And I am just completely assuming by your name you went this route, so if I'm wrong, my apologies!

1. First, OP should start with shadowing/volunteering. As a nontrad career changer you are expected to look before you leap. So coursework might be premature.
2. Second, I personally stayed away from CC and online offerings. Some schools won't take them.
3. No point talking MD vs DO at this juncture -- the OP doesn't have grades in sciences or mcat yet. The whole "more friendly to nontrads" notion is kind of bogus imho (I've debated this with Q on this board many times over the years).
4. Make sure there's a concrete reason you are heading to medicine rather than running from law (volunteering/shadowing will help in this regard).

1. First, OP should start with shadowing/volunteering. As a nontrad career changer you are expected to look before you leap. So coursework might be premature.

I was kind of robbed of a science education anyway by going to a bible school. So, the way I see it, the worst that doing coursework does for me is allow me that education. And I am in the process of getting immunization records so I can start volunteering at one of the hospitals.

2. Second, I personally stayed away from CC and online offerings. Some schools won't take them.

I did see the warnings about this and looked around. I don't expect to be going to a top tier research school (as my research is lacking and I don't think my post-bacc will bring my cgpa up all that much)

3. No point talking MD vs DO at this juncture -- the OP doesn't have grades in sciences or mcat yet. The whole "more friendly to nontrads" notion is kind of bogus imho (I've debated this with Q on this board many times over the years).

Makes sense to me. Thanks.

4. Make sure there's a concrete reason you are heading to medicine rather than running from law (volunteering/shadowing will help in this regard).

I don't have an extremely concrete reason right now, which is why I'm looking forward to volunteering and shadowing. I agree with the look before you jump attitude and honestly wish I would've taken it with law. I do know that I'm not running from law and I wouldn't be hurt or disappointed if I had to spend the rest of my life in law. I just think medicine might be a better fit for me holistically and I'll find out if that's true as I see how I do in science courses, around patients, and seeing physicians work firsthand. :)

Thanks for jumping in! I truly appreciate it!

I just joined and am looking around the forum to figure things out. As I've found out in my stalking, the whole law to med thing seems to be fairly common.

Anyway, I'm a young lawyer in the Midwest considering a move to med. I will need to continue working full time to save up and pay down loans to prepare for more school, so school itself won't be for a few years, at least, especially considering that my BA is in theology/ministry, so my math consists of College Algebra and Trig that I took while I was still in HS (because I finished HS classes early) and my science is a piss poor Biology class to fulfill the grad requirement (it honestly felt like a jr high class and I did not really put effort into it).

So, I will just keep stalking around, looking to see what others have done in my situation (I've already found a few similar threads and it's been interesting), but I figured I'd take the time to say 'hello!'

Hey! I'm a lawyer who is also looking to make the switch into medicine. My first step is volunteering and then doing a part-time post-bacc program next year while I practice law full time. I'd be happy to stay in touch with you throughout this whole process and bounce ideas back and forth. Feel free to PM mee!

Here's what I took, ALL at community college. The ones in bold you definitely want to take. I would get the math done early. It will help in Physics/Gen Chem especially:

Gen Chem I & II (Required)
Orgo Chem I & II (Required)
Physics I & II (Required)
Bio I (Required)
A&P I and II (Required for second bio class, but definitely need to take it for med school)

Microbiology (not required but highly recommended for premed)
College Algebra (Required)
Trigonometry
Calculus I (took for my B.S. in Bio, some med schools may require it)
Stats (Required by some med schools)
Psychology (I took it when I was thinking of PA school, but it will help you for the new MCAT)
Developmental Psychology (I took it when I was thinking of PA school, but it will help you for the new MCAT)
Sociology (I think this is on the new MCAT)
Nutrition
Medical Terminology (another pre-PA class)

Community college sure does have a lot of useful stuff. I should add I also took a bunch of upper level science at a four year university. But I took as much as I could at CC.

So, this is what I haven't been able to understand while browsing through this board. A lot of people recommend that non-traditional students take upper level classes beyond the typical 4-6 courses that are required (bio, math, Ochem, phsyics, chem). However, other non-traditional students have had success getting into med school by just taking structured post-bacc programs that only encompass the typical 4-6 courses. So which is it? Obviously more is always better and shows motivation, but it seems possible to get into some medical schools with just the standard requirements. Just trying to figure this out because I'm confused and am considering a structured post-bacc program. Thanks!

Hey! I'm a lawyer who is also looking to make the switch into medicine. My first step is volunteering and then doing a part-time post-bacc program next year while I practice law full time. I'd be happy to stay in touch with you throughout this whole process and bounce ideas back and forth. Feel free to PM mee!

Hey, awesome! What kind of law do you practice? I'm doing the exact same. I'm currently waiting on my immunization records to come in so I can get the volunteer app in and I'll be starting at an area hospital and then, in the Fall, I'm taking what are basically pre-chem and pre-calc at a CC (because I have no science background whatsoever and my math background is Algebra). But, yeah, we can definitely stay in touch!

So, this is what I haven't been able to understand while browsing through this board. A lot of people recommend that non-traditional students take upper level classes beyond the typical 4-6 courses that are required (bio, math, Ochem, phsyics, chem). However, other non-traditional students have had success getting into med school by just taking structured post-bacc programs that only encompass the typical 4-6 courses. So which is it? Obviously more is always better and shows motivation, but it seems possible to get into some medical schools with just the standard requirements. Just trying to figure this out because I'm confused and am considering a structured post-bacc program. Thanks!

I think it depends. My plan right now only involves Biochem and Micro above and beyond the absolute minimum. But, I'll also be hopefully doing some research credits. I think if you did well in undergrad generally and have been able to earn a professional doctorate, that should speak, at least somewhat, to your ability to handle upper level coursework. But, I don't know and I'm sure others more knowledgeable could speak to it.