Just seeing what's out there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schrutebeetfarm

when september ends
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been dead set on pharmacy, but I love animals and I am wondering what the prereqs are for a DVM program. I think you take the GRE right? We take the PCAT, but it's not nearly as difficult as the MCAT. Is the GRE pretty challenging and what is a good score? Do you have to have a B.S. or can you just finish the prereqs? Do you have accelerated programs like pharmacy? Residencies? If you reply, thank you! Bye

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, we take the GRE. It's hard to compare to the MCAT because it is pretty much just a hard version of the SAT (it's an aptitude test--it doesn't test what you've learned). The math and verbal sections are scored out of 800 and the writing section is out of 6.

You do not have to have a BS (as long as you've completed all of your prereqs), although most people who get accepted do. Internships and residencies are not required, but necessary if you want to specialize.

Good luck!

I also see that you can study oversees in the UK and Ireland, I'm jealous!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also worth noting is the fact that you are expected to have both veterinary and animal experience at the time of application to a veterinary school. You'll also need three (or more) letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a veterinarian. You can specialize once you graduate and go into an internship or residency, but during vet school you mostly just have some options with your electives.

This may sound stupid, but what is the difference between veterinary and animal experience?

No stupidity there - we all ask that question as we start. Veterinary experience is directly under a veterinarian, such as working or volunteering at a local clinic. Animal experience would just be experience involving animals, such as volunteering at the humane society (cleaning kennels, walking dogs) or breeding, dressage, things like that.

:)

I know that there has been some confusion about this in the past, and even I had been confused about it, but veterinary experience can also be scientific research experience under a PhD, or a DVM with a graduate degree.