Just submitted AMCAS app. Now, raise GPA or publish research articles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgeon45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely go for publishing. An increase from a 3.42 to a 3.45 is miniscule.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go GPA....because 3.3 will keep you out of med school. Not having a publication won't.
sure, the change is small, but an upward trend can do wonders

Reactions: 1 user
If your applying now how is raising your GPA over the next year going to help you? Schools that will reject/decide to interview you will do so well before any fall grades come out.

Yes your GPA is on the low side. The only way you can actually fix it for it to matter for med school admission is to wait till next cycle to apply(and take a full load of courses not 1-2). Publications aren't going to help your app right now either. But those can be factors that help you later on in life. Your college GPA is meaningless once your in medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
If your applying now how is raising your GPA over the next year going to help you? Schools that will reject/decide to interview you will do so well before any fall grades come out.

Yes your GPA is on the low side. The only way you can actually fix it for it to matter for med school admission is to wait till next cycle to apply(and take a full load of courses not 1-2). Publications aren't going to help your app right now either. But those can be factors that help you later on in life. Your college GPA is meaningless once your in medical school.

Yea, you've already submitted. Go for research.

What kind of schools did you apply to? If they're low/mid-tier then I'd say go for pub. If you get wait listed, a pub is something you could update them with that would be pretty significant/impressive.

It would be better if you did both. Get some upper level bios and look at getting published. you may be a reapplicant next year and dont need a huge boost. GPA is more likely to get u that

Random but relevant question: do med schools have any preference for post-baccs that are done with the purpose of improving GPA to be done through formal post-bac programs or is it equally acceptable to do it in a state school in a form of "Do it Yourself" post-bac? I wonder if just going back to your school and taking upper level bio classes will be looked upon the same as a formal post-bacc and given the same weight? Thanks

At least with the publication, you can update schools with a letter. That could potentially net you an interview if you're borderline. A 0.04 increase in GPA isn't going to help your chances too much...
Just make sure your school choices are not gimpy. Make sure to look at the MSAR if you haven't already.

I do not have any specific information on this but I will give you my thoughts/opinion.

1) DIY or formal will both raise your overall GPA as well as show post-bacc as a separate line item GPA so it is has a stronger impact than the simply the overall GPA would suggest.

2) A formal postbacc may have the advantage of direct advising, reputation, and letters of recommendation. That is, a committee letter or composite letter from post-bacc may be able to outline your improvements, comparison to others in the program, opinions from across faculty, etc. This may be viewed like a letter from a regular undergrad premed committee. Since the post bacc or regular undergrad committee understand and knows the faculty better (ie is closer to the student) they may be able to reflect a more accurate picture of the applicant.

3) If you have a formal program, you may be able to earn a certificate which would be a educational accomplishment and something more concrete than having taken a few classes. I would think this is more important to students who have significant deficiencies as they need to show the adcom motivation, commitment and success. Earning a certificate would be a strong step on that direction

4) I would also speculate that some post-bacc have a reputation as a good feeder to certain medical schools. This would indicate a good reputation in those adcoms and something you inquire with the program

5) On the downside, there are some formal postbacc programs that are both highly cut throat and restrictive. That is, these programs have high acceptance rates for those who complete the program and apply to medical school but they restrict students who dont earn a certain GPA from getting a committee or composite letter. Not having a letter from certain programs when applying to some medical schools may raise a red flag with adcoms.

This is great and very thoughtful insight as usual from you. Thank you very much, especially since this isn't an easy question to answer and it isn't clear cut.

I guess the first thing that popped into my mind is that doing a DIY post-bacc you are basically choosing your upper level classes and not having them chosen for you like a post-bac. I was thinking that might perhaps get some ADCOMs to think you are simply choosing classes that are known as easy at your school to boost your GPA even if they are upper level science classes that don't sound like fluff by their title. Any truth to this idea or is it just too hard to speculate whether ADCOMs look at DIY post-bacs like that? Thanks again as always.

I would try for both. If this cycle doesn't work out for you an increase in your senior year GPA would be helpful.
On the other hand updating this current cycle with with a pub might help, but if it's not published till December it doesn't matter.

Speculation, conjecture, worry, OCD, etc, serve almost no purpose. You cant predict or have any basis to even make a slightly educated guess on this. So examine and work on things you can affect.

1) Take a good hard look at what you really have. A way to do this is workup a course listing the same way AMCAS does by spread sheet (and there are lots floating around or make your own). Set it out as an adcom would see it (https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf).
Are there trends? was there a single bad term? where are you weak?

2) Examine your background. Were you a good student in a non science major? Were you a mediocre premed at a large state university needing to improve? The former may be able to use a CC course load more effectively than the latter.

3) Examine what makes logistical sense for you to do. Students overlook this important fact. You cant do well if a great program if the rest of your life is stressing you. You may want to go to a high level post-bacc at good private school but can you afford it? can you work while doing it? A CC or local school with a class or two a term may all you can do. While its good to have a dream but you gotta have a plan. While going to a better/harder program may be helpful, you need to do well.

In short, exam the issue, weigh the options, make a comprise plan among the multiple factors, then implement.

A very good way of viewing all of this. Makes sense. Thank you as always.