Just to dispel any rumors....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heeed!

On target, On time!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the latest and greatest on becoming a flight doc in the AF. I just received this today from AFIT:

SG DOC: 06-0184
DEPARTMENT OF THE AIR FORCE
HEADQUARTERS UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
WASHINGTON DC
30 May 2006
MEMORANDUM FOR OBLIGATED AIR FORCE OFFICERS (4TH YEAR MEDICAL
STUDENTS) APPLYING TO THE 2006 JOINT SERVICE
GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION SELECTION BOARD
(JSGMESB)
1780 Air Force Pentagon
Washington, DC 20330-1780

SUBJECT: Critical Shortfall in AFMS Flight Surgeons - Interim Policy

The Air Force is facing a critical shortfall in aerospace medicine. We are having
difficulty meeting the operational needs of our war fighting squadrons. Flight Surgeons provide much of the first-line support to our flyers and their families. Active Duty physicians in specialties that are already optimally manned have been actively encouraged to consider a career broadening tour as an operational flight surgeon. In spite of our efforts the shortfall remains.
We will be re-instating a policy utilized in the mid 1990’s in order to ameliorate this
situation,. Under this policy, individuals who apply for and/or are selected for a PGY-1 year
only will automatically be required to complete the six-week Aerospace Medicine Primary
course and a two-year tour as a Flight Surgeon immediately following completion of their PGY-1 year. This policy will apply to individuals who meet the 2006 JSGMESB and is not
waiverable. Individuals who are unable to pass a Flying Class II physical will be assigned to a primary care environment for a two-year period. This requirement must be completed before proceeding with the residency training of your choice.
This policy will be in effect for the current year only unless specifically extended. It will
not affect individuals who apply for and/or who are selected for a categorical residency program.
It will not affect individuals applying for fellowship training. In order to obtain subsequent
graduate medical training you will need to apply to a future JSGMESB. Successful completion of an operational tour almost always makes an otherwise well qualified candidate even more competitive. This often translates into a significant benefit when applying for highly competitive residency programs.
I regret having to institute these limitations, but providing operational support to the
ongoing war on terror is vital to the security of our nation and our beneficiaries. If you have any questions regarding this policy, my points of contact are Colonel Molly Hall Chief Physician Education Branch at DSN 665-2638, Commercial (210) 565-2638 or her deputy, Mrs. Geiger at 1800 531-5800, Commercial (210) 565-2638.

GEORGE PEACH TAYLOR, JR.
Lieutenant General, USAF, MC, CFS
Surgeon General

.....better match on the first try! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Is this mandating a GMO tour for every graduating intern?

Members don't see this ad :)
IgD said:

It appears to be specific to the Air Force and allow applying to those who don't match for continuous training following the FYGME...although, I could be wrong

IgD said:

No, read the fine print. It appears to be for those who were only selected for internships. It looks like categoricals will still get to go straight through. That's how I read the message. Of course, that truth may also change.

NavyFP said:
No, read the fine print. It appears to be for those who were only selected for internships. It looks like categoricals will still get to go straight through. That's how I read the message. Of course, that truth may also change.

Concur.
The way I read it is if you don't match categorical in the military, or Intern year + Residency in the civilian match, you're going to be a flight doc for 2 years. You won't be allowed to apply for a PGY-2 residency slot after Intern year.

"Under this policy, individuals who apply for and/or are selected for a PGY-1 year only will automatically be required to complete the six-week Aerospace Medicine Primary course and a two-year tour as a Flight Surgeon immediately following completion of their PGY-1 year. This policy will apply to individuals who meet the 2006 JSGMESB and is not waiverable."

"This policy will be in effect for the current year only unless specifically extended. It will not affect individuals who apply for and/or who are selected for a categorical residency program."

Heeed! said:
Here's the latest and greatest on becoming a flight doc in the AF. I just received this today from AFIT:

SG DOC: 06-0184
DEPARTMENT OF THE AIR FORCE
HEADQUARTERS UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
WASHINGTON DC
30 May 2006
MEMORANDUM FOR OBLIGATED AIR FORCE OFFICERS (4TH YEAR MEDICAL
STUDENTS) APPLYING TO THE 2006 JOINT SERVICE
GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION SELECTION BOARD
(JSGMESB)
1780 Air Force Pentagon
Washington, DC 20330-1780

SUBJECT: Critical Shortfall in AFMS Flight Surgeons - Interim Policy

The Air Force is facing a critical shortfall in aerospace medicine. We are having
difficulty meeting the operational needs of our war fighting squadrons. Flight Surgeons provide much of the first-line support to our flyers and their families. Active Duty physicians in specialties that are already optimally manned have been actively encouraged to consider a career broadening tour as an operational flight surgeon. In spite of our efforts the shortfall remains.
We will be re-instating a policy utilized in the mid 1990’s in order to ameliorate this
situation,. Under this policy, individuals who apply for and/or are selected for a PGY-1 year
only will automatically be required to complete the six-week Aerospace Medicine Primary
course and a two-year tour as a Flight Surgeon immediately following completion of their PGY-1 year. This policy will apply to individuals who meet the 2006 JSGMESB and is not
waiverable. Individuals who are unable to pass a Flying Class II physical will be assigned to a primary care environment for a two-year period. This requirement must be completed before proceeding with the residency training of your choice.
This policy will be in effect for the current year only unless specifically extended. It will
not affect individuals who apply for and/or who are selected for a categorical residency program.
It will not affect individuals applying for fellowship training. In order to obtain subsequent
graduate medical training you will need to apply to a future JSGMESB. Successful completion of an operational tour almost always makes an otherwise well qualified candidate even more competitive. This often translates into a significant benefit when applying for highly competitive residency programs.
I regret having to institute these limitations, but providing operational support to the
ongoing war on terror is vital to the security of our nation and our beneficiaries. If you have any questions regarding this policy, my points of contact are Colonel Molly Hall Chief Physician Education Branch at DSN 665-2638, Commercial (210) 565-2638 or her deputy, Mrs. Geiger at 1800 531-5800, Commercial (210) 565-2638.

GEORGE PEACH TAYLOR, JR.
Lieutenant General, USAF, MC, CFS
Surgeon General

.....better match on the first try! :smuggrin:

Exactly what happened to us 10 years ago. I still have the letter, similar to this one, that was sent out back then. I will post it this weekend.

If any good comes from this it will be to discourage prospective medical students from HPSP or USUHS, both of which are a mistake.

This was a mistake back then, the AFMS eventually recognized it and later reversed the policy, and is a mistake today. I am shocked, but not surprised that they did not learn from their mistakes.

There really needs to be legislation putting a stop to this.

Here is the content of a letter written 10 years ago:

MEMORANDUM FOR POTENTIAL AIR FORCE GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION (GME) SELECTION BOARD APPLICANTS

SUBJECT: Air Force GME Selection Board Policy

On behalf of the GME Selection Board President, I am writing to advise you of a decision which may impact your future career plans. The Air Force continues to have a need for flight surgeons and general medical officers. As a result, all physicians serving in one year only training programs, or who have resigned from a multiyear program during the 1996-1997 academic year, will not be eligible to apply for further GME at the 1996 Selection Board. This decision represents a continuation of the policy established prior to the 1995 GME Selection Board. Consequently, you will become available for active duty assignment after 30 June 1997.

It is important for you to understand that this decision was made after careful review, and in consideration of the needs of the Air Force. The operational mission of the Air Force is of paramount concern. This action does not reflect on your professional competence. (Pay attention to that last sentence IgD!!) The decision was made in light of continuing manpower needs in these clinical areas. Near completion of your tour as either a flight surgeon or general medical officer, you will be able to apply for further GME. Our senior medical leadership recognizes the importance of completing residency training for our Medical Corps officers as a key to the future of the Air Force Medical Service.

You should contact the Provider Utilization Branch at the Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC) at (210) 652-2641/(800) 562-3480 after 1 January 1997 for information regarding available assignments, including attendance at the Aerospace Medicine Primary Course. If you wish further clarification of this policy, contact Lt Col Linda Foote or Maj Douglas Graham, HQ USAF/SGWP, (202) 767-4528/DSN 297-5062. Contact Col Richard Harbison at HQ AFPC/DPAME, (210) 652-6331/DSN 487-6331/(800) 531-5800 for questions concerning the GME Program.

Your cooperation will help us meet the Air Force's primary mission of supporting for flyers. I appreciate your understanding of this decision.

JERRY W. ROSS, Colonel, USAF, BSC
Director, Medical Force Management
Office of the Surgeon General

Now, below is a copy of an internal HQ USAF Memorandum:

MEMORANDUM FOR MAJCOM SURGEONS Oct 1998

SUBJECT: General Medical Officers

General Medical Officers have served the Air Force well in a variety of capacities. Utilization of non residency trained physicians in the future will be less than historical usage. The goal of the Air Force Medical System is to have all Air Force physicians residency trained. A state of transition is in place as authorized positions for general medical officers decline. Those individuals should initiate action to secure residency training if they desire to have a full career as an Air Force officer as well as a physician. If a physician is not residency trained then he/she will not be considered qualified to achieve career reserve status or a regular commission. Each general medical officer desiring to serve in the Air Force should look at those specialties in which we have a great need as we build the Air Force Medical System of the future. Currently, the Air Force has requirements for family practice physicians, psychiatrists, internists, radiologists, and fully qualified residency trained physicians who will serve as flight surgeons. The Air Force has committed valuable resources of money and infrastructure to assure that residency training opportunities are available. To serve our patients, we need to assure that every physician possesses the skills and knowledge that our patients expect and deserve. Please share this letter with your facilties.

KENNETH F. STEEL, Col, USAF, MC, SFS
Deputy Director, Medical Force Management
Office of the Surgeon General

island doc said:
This was a mistake back then, the AFMS eventually recognized it and later reversed the policy, and is a mistake today. I am shocked, but not surprised that they did not learn from their mistakes.
There really needs to be legislation putting a stop to this.

I am sure this policy is a direct result of the current retention issues. The force management office seems to be aware this isn't an ideal situation:

"The Air Force is facing a critical shortfall in aerospace medicine. We are having difficulty meeting the operational needs of our war fighting squadrons. Flight Surgeons provide much of the first-line support to our flyers and their families. Active Duty physicians in specialties that are already optimally manned have been actively encouraged to consider a career broadening tour as an operational flight surgeon. In spite of our efforts the shortfall remains....I regret having to institute these limitations, but providing operational support to the ongoing war on terror is vital to the security of our nation and our beneficiaries. "

Which would be better- this policy or forcing physicians residency trained in something unrelated to fill flight surgeon billets? Neither option seems very good. I just hope they don't start using the words "stop loss"...

So does anyone know what specialties in mil med are "optimally" manned???

The real question here is: which internships count as "categorical?" Obviously ones like IM and gen surg can still go straight through, but what about all those people who matched into transitional internships followed by residencies in rads, gas, ophtho, etc?

Does this mean it's now impossible in the Air Force to go directly from internship into many residencies? Even though those slots used to be on continuous contract?

I still remember a peds resident back then who was pulled out of his residency after his first year to go work as a GMO in the adult medicine clinic as a direct result of this flawed policy.

Mirror Form said:
The real question here is: which internships count as "categorical?" Obviously ones like IM and gen surg can still go straight through, but what about all those people who matched into transitional internships followed by residencies in rads, gas, ophtho, etc?

Does this mean it's now impossible in the Air Force to go directly from internship into many residencies? Even though those slots used to be on continuous contract?

Yes, that is exactly what it means. It was that way back then, and that way again. Those wanting rads, gas, optho, path. etc. had best just forget it.

Sounds like they are desperate for warm bodies to man the clinics again, regardless of qualifications. Pathetic state of affairs.

Mirror Form said:

My guess would be yes. And an "appropriate" amount of categoricals could be pulled as well to fill all the slots. Will have to wait for clarification/action.

OK, I contacted the AF SG office and asked for clarification. The policy is supposed to be limited to MS-4s who are only selected for PGY-1, with no residency follow-on. If you are designated for any type of residency training after your PGY-1 year (to include anesthesiology, rads, etc) as a result of the GME selection board, you are not supposed to fall under this policy. If you aren't selected for residency training during this board, and you list PGY-1 only as an option with the hopes of applying for residency training during your intern year, forget it. Supposedly ~50 people applied for ER last year and ~24 were picked up (to include both military positions and civilian deferral) during the GME board- this policy would affect those 26 people that didn't match (assuming they didn't have a second residency choice listed). If you are "undecided" on residency training and request PGY-1 only, you will also be affected by this policy. Of course this is the policy at the moment...we'll see what actually happens :cool:

dpill said:
OK, I contacted the AF SG office and asked for clarification. The policy is supposed to be limited to MS-4s who are only selected for PGY-1, with no residency follow-on. If you are designated for any type of residency training after your PGY-1 year (to include anesthesiology, rads, etc) as a result of the GME selection board, you are not supposed to fall under this policy. If you aren't selected for residency training during this board, and you list PGY-1 only as an option with the hopes of applying for residency training during your intern year, forget it. Supposedly ~50 people applied for ER last year and ~24 were picked up (to include both military positions and civilian deferral) during the GME board- this policy would affect those 26 people that didn't match (assuming they didn't have a second residency choice listed). If you are "undecided" on residency training and request PGY-1 only, you will also be affected by this policy. Of course this is the policy at the moment...we'll see what actually happens :cool:

Don't believe everything you hear. What is said, and what actually happens are two different things. Like I have said before, we had a GMO who was forcefully extricated from a categorical pediatrics residency to be put to work in the adult medicine clinic. Insane, but true.

island doc said:
Don't believe everything you hear. What is said, and what actually happens are two different things.

Wish I could disagree but I have seen it too many times myself.

I was selected for an FP/Flight med slot, so after residency I am required to attend AMP and become a flight doc (this was my choice and I put it #1 on my JSGME)

However, due to this shortage, I hear that many more FP's (aside from the 4 selected at JSGME) will be required to become flight docs directly after residency

Seems like there are critical shortages everywhere in the Air Force . . .