Just to give those hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sashka1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was shadowing today at uPenn, and met a 2nd year gen surg resident who graduated from a caribbean school. so there is hope everyone
:)

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of us out there. ;)

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
He went to UWI which if i'm correct isn't an offshore school its the Caribbean's best university and medical school.

He went to UWI which if i'm correct isn't an offshore school its the Caribbean's best university and medical school.

You are still considered a "foreign grad" if you go to UWI. And, I would argue instead that the best Caribbean medical schools are actually in Puerto Rico. Nonetheless, all of them are still in the Caribbean.

Likewise, all non-LCME Caribbean students (at least at the reputable schools) do clinical rotations in the U.S. with, as was at least in my case, only 16 months total spent in the islands... despite it still being considered a "Caribbean" school.

All of which begs the question... what are the true distinctions here? Up-front competitiveness for admission? Is that it?

The cream always rises. No matter where you wander.

-Skip

You are still considered a "foreign grad" if you go to UWI. And, I would argue instead that the best Caribbean medical schools are actually in Puerto Rico. Nonetheless, all of them are still in the Caribbean.

Likewise, all non-LCME Caribbean students (at least at the reputable schools) do clinical rotations in the U.S. with, as was at least in my case, only 16 months total spent in the islands... despite it still being considered a "Caribbean" school.

All of which begs the question... what are the true distinctions here? Up-front competitiveness for admission? Is that it?

The cream always rises. No matter where you wander.

-Skip

It is just up front competitiveness for admissions. If you are a Caribbean native, non Puerto Rico, then your local and most competitive school is UWI. The stigma that comes with going to an offshore school may actually be reduced if you went to UWI as a Caribbean native and this stigma probably applies to the very best residency programs more so than others.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a friend from Ross who is teaching surgical faculty at a major and well-respected university in the U.S.

I won't "out" him here. But, like I said, the cream always rises. The "brown stuff" usually sinks. Usually.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user