Juvenile Record effect on admission???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scikotic

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a small imperfection on my juvenile record, a petit theft:eek:, I was 15 yrs old. Then something happened a few years later, but was not my fault, someone left marijuana in my car which I was unaware of! Come on I was in high school, a kid, 19yrs old. Anyway I never got arrested, or convicted for the marijuana, it was dropped in court. I am 24 now. My question is, will this have high implications on my admission to UF this year (Fall 09)? Otherwise I have a decent profile, 4.0gpa and 76 PCAT(retaking in jan) and 4 solid LOR's, volunteering, and pharm tech experience. I am currently working on my personal statement and suppl essays...Anyone have any thoughts or similar circumstances??

Members don't see this ad.

If it was dropped in court then it is not on your record.

thats what I thought, but I went to the clerk of court for a printout of my criminal record and it was on there, it said "no arrest" and "nolle prossed" next to it, but nevertheless it was there.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I read the title of your thread I thought you was 17 years old or something. At the age of 19, you are no longer considered a juvenile, at that point you have a permanent record (that's why you see your misconduct on your record). Juvenile records are sealed once you turn 18 (meaning no one can see what you did as a juvenile, unless you are in the military and trying to get a security clearance). Anyways, just have your record expunge and it shouldn't show up. More than likely, you have to see the DA, but just explain to her or him that you was foolish back then, and learned from your mistake. You are now in college with a 4.0 gpa, hoping to go to pharmacy school.. Good luck

Good job on the 4.0, keep that up! They may ask you about that stuff, but just say that you're much more mature now and that you learned from your mistakes.

depends on the school but there is a convicted felon in our pharm class. the guy didn't say what he did but you know destroying a mailbox is a felon these days so it could be anything. anyways, the point is he committed the felon during undergrad and he still got accepted. got his pharm intern status too.

hope this helps

I wouldn't just let it be. I'd follow the advice given earlier and have it expunged. The simple fact that the charge involved an illicit substance will keep you from getting a pharmacist license in the state of Texas. But, each state is different so it may not be so elsewhere. Either way, I would say it's a worthy investment of time and possibly money for a lawyer or any fees associated to have it expunged so you don't have to worry about it.

In 1994 I was 15 years old and I got a robbery adjudication against me. Juveniles do not get convictions. They get adjudicated. It has been 15 years since and I have never been arrested for anything else. Do you think I might have a hard time getting a DEA #? I want to go to dental school and become a dentist.

I spoke to the lady in the enforcement division at the California Dental board and explained to her my situation and she basically said that since this incident happened so long ago and I was just 15 years old and as long as it wasn't a murder or attempted murder or rape it wouldn't be a problem for me to get my state dental license. I mean I didn't even want to take this kid's money. It was peer pressure. I was 15 and the victim was 13. All I took from him was $2.

So now 15 years later I'm hiring a lawyer to try to withdraw my plea and re-enter another plea of lesser seriousness. I only took two dollars from this kid.

So what can you tell me about my situation that might help me out?

Last edited:
In 1994 I was 15 years old and I got a robbery adjudication against me. Juveniles do not get convictions. They get adjudicated. It has been 15 years since and I have never been arrested for anything else. Do you think I might have a hard time getting a DEA #? I want to go to dental school and become a dentist.

I spoke to the lady in the enforcement division at the California Dental board and explained to her my situation and she basically said that since this incident happened so long ago and I was just 15 years old and as long as it wasn't a murder or attempted murder or rape it wouldn't be a problem for me to get mystate dental license. I mean I didn't even want to take this kid's money. It was peer pressure. I was 15 and the victim was 13. All I took from him was $2.

So now 15 years later I'm hiring a lawyer to try to withdraw my plea and re-enter another plea of grand theft which is less serious.

So what can you tell me about my situation that might help me out?

Honestly, I think you will be fine. If you are still worried, give your state board a call and ask them what steps you would need to take if any for your situation. At worst case, they would probably make you send in an appeal letter of some sort to explain the situation.

Even though this is juvenile I think you might have to eventually report it to the board but I highly doubt this will be a problem. I've heard about someone having no problem getting a license with a minor possession that was dropped on another thread (sorry I'd have no idea where you could find it I just remember running across it). It seems like, within reason, they are willing to give a second chance especially since you have showed a change. And what the hell call your state board and ask them if you are worried about it. They aren't going to care if you call and probably won't even ask your name. Haha and bull **** that wasn't your weed. :)

Last edited:
Oh and re reading the thread just now I highly doubt it would affect admissions. Especially since a public or private school shouldn't have access to juvenile records (whereas the government/board of pharmacy could I'd imagine). And what they look for mostly is whether you have any convictions that prevent you from working with vulnerable adults and children.

I assume every school and every state board of pharmacy is different. That being said, obtaining intern and/or pharmacist licensure with a drug violation on your record could become a problem for you. I strongly suggest you contact the schools to which you are applying as well as the state boards of pharmacy for their input. Email if you have additional questions: [email protected]

Also, just to tidy up my above statement, a small crime (ie, trespassing or an MIP) is usually overlooked by most committees. However, if there is a history of such problems or they seem to occur later in life (rather than as an "immature" kid), you probably have some additional explaining to do.

I assume every school and every state board of pharmacy is different. That being said, obtaining intern and/or pharmacist licensure with a drug violation on your record could become a problem for you. I strongly suggest you contact the schools to which you are applying as well as the state boards of pharmacy for their input. Email if you have additional questions: [email protected]

Also, just to tidy up my above statement, a small crime (ie, trespassing or an MIP) is usually overlooked by most committees. However, if there is a history of such problems or they seem to occur later in life (rather than as an "immature" kid), you probably have some additional explaining to do.

I've been never been arrested or booked for anything since I was 15 years old. I don't do drugs and I've never had a DUI. I mean my adult record is clean. It's just that when I was 15 years old I got mixed up with the wrong crowd. So after this incident I took the initative to switch high school and completely cut off all of my old friends and that was the end of it. I've never had any problems since. I moved on. What I am afraid of is that sometime down the road the state might pass some new crazy law pertaining to the licensure of dentists or doctors that might make things difficult for me even though this happened 15 years ago. Basically that was what the lady at the CA medical board said. She said she can't predict the future, so that is why I am worried. I don't want to waste 7-10 years of my life and go through all that hard work and then have the state tell me that I can't practice medicine or dentistry because of one childish act I committed when I was 15 years old.

Point is, juvenile records are sealed and generally considered not indicative of the way a person is once they are an adult. This is especially the case if you haven't had anything on your record as an adult. I wouldn't waste the time and money right now to deal with it. Don't worry about the future just yet, you most likely would be grandfathered in if something did change. Either way, I'd wait until you graduated and already making money to get it changed/expunged. You will have the income to do so without it really hurting your budget. If it isn't going to hurt you now, it shouldn't be a major concern right now. Still, keep an eye on the laws for now and keep the "oops" fund to pay for it, like in a separate bank account, if you need to. If you graduate and didn't have to use the "oops" account yet, you can use it to either pay for fixing the issue or have one hell of a graduation party and take care of the problem with your first few paychecks.

So I have a small imperfection on my juvenile record, a petit theft:eek:, I was 15 yrs old. Then something happened a few years later, but was not my fault, someone left marijuana in my car which I was unaware of! Come on I was in high school, a kid, 19yrs old. Anyway I never got arrested, or convicted for the marijuana, it was dropped in court. I am 24 now. My question is, will this have high implications on my admission to UF this year (Fall 09)? Otherwise I have a decent profile, 4.0gpa and 76 PCAT(retaking in jan) and 4 solid LOR's, volunteering, and pharm tech experience. I am currently working on my personal statement and suppl essays...Anyone have any thoughts or similar circumstances??

I have a trespassing that was Nolle Prosequi (spelled wrong) from when I was 16 - I am pretty sure I do not have to disclose it - but I do. It really isn't a big deal. Write a letter explaining what happened. Get the order of disposition of the case from the clerk of the court (which it looks like you have). Every application for pharmacy (board of pharmacy especially) will ask for it. Just give it to them.

Not once has it been an issue for me. I have held tech licenses in two states and Intern licenses in 3. No one cares - just disclose it and move on.