K state application statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirateslayme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I am applying this cycle and am planning on applying to Kansas State. I was just looking at their application statistics and it says that they offer about 200 positions to non residents vs only about 50 to residents. Is it just me or do these numbers seem crazy? Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, so I am applying this cycle and am planning on applying to Kansas State. I was just looking at their application statistics and it says that they offer about 200 positions to non residents vs only about 50 to residents. Is it just me or do these numbers seem crazy? Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this.

residents are more likely to an accept a position, while many OOS people choose to go to their own in state school.
plus there likely a lot more OOS applications than in state.

residents are more likely to an accept a position, while many OOS people choose to go to their own in state school.
plus there likely a lot more OOS applications than in state.

All true. OOS people might also choose a different OOS school. And K-State's class is split about 50/50 for IS and OOS.

I think most if not all schools offer more acceptances than they really have seats for, especially to OOS applicants, for the reasons mentioned above. I've never heard of someone who was accepted later not getting to go because too many people accepted their positions, if that's what you're worried about. I think schools do their best to avoid a situation like that, but if it happened they'd probably have to increase their class size.

I've seen those numbers myself and it does seem like a huge discrepancy, but you have to consider that Kansas as a state has a bad rep for being incredibly boring, and K-State itself is in a small college town with not much else nearby. For that reason, K-State is probably not a lot of people's first choice. Nothing against their vet school, but if location is a major factor in picking between schools you get accepted to, that might eliminate K-State for a lot of people.