Kaiser Fontana Psych program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ari202

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gotta say that I am a big fan of Kaiser in general. But during my interview day, a lot of things seemed quite ambiguous so as the structure of the program. The residents I had met did not have their first psych rotation yet because its the first year. I didn't get a lot of answers as to call on in-patient months or the psychiatry didactics, it just seemed quite fluffy.

They were all really sweet and happy, but I felt like something was missing. I'm really interested in the scoop on whats going on now that they are suppose to be in the psychiatry hospital. I have really gotta say that the Kaiser Fontana main hospital is like a 5 star hotel and I am glad to be a Kaiser patient. So I would love to be part of the Kaiser system. My husbands job is offering him a good position in the inland empire so that is swaying me to stay in the region even more than ever now.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about specifics but have worked with the assistant PD at Canyon Ridge and we chatted about the program at a residency fair. He's done a bunch of training in interventional psych and mentioned having lots of ECT/VNS/TMS exposure during training and was a smart, great, easygoing guy to work with that teaches well. I wouldn't be too worried about it being a Kaiser program as you'll get lots a broad spectrum of patient population in the area and especially at Canyon Ridge. Lots of good moonlighting in the area and the people who want to stay in the area after residency are getting good compensation. There is a huge job market and I think San Bernardino county has the lowest doctors per person of any county with over 250K population. UCR is recruiting from the area so there are plenty of academic jobs available or soon to be available.

After being a kaiser patient for so many years, I really like having everything in one place. they really take good care of you, albeit, its probably a lot cheaper to go through BC/BS, but i'm thankful for it...especallly given the fact that i'm currently pregnant due later this year.