Kaiser permanente Hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tastebuds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering relocating to San diego, CA. I am a hospitalist and looking at Kaiser permanente. Anyone have experience with this group? Hours, salary, benefits????
It is the biggest group in cali and I am afraid of making the wrong decision.
TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a big corporate machine. But hard to go wrong with a kaiser gig. They'll probably pay you a base at the 25 to 50%ile and give bonuses for production above that based on rvus. Benefits are good. There should also be enough work to go around as well as enough docs to cover. Definitely go interview.

It's a big corporate machine. But hard to go wrong with a kaiser gig. They'll probably pay you a base at the 25 to 50%ile and give bonuses for production above that based on rvus. Benefits are good. There should also be enough work to go around as well as enough docs to cover. Definitely go interview.

Thanks for the reply! I am worried about working 12 hour shifts (wont be able to see my kids every other week). Other than that, I don't mind working hard. Anyone know if they are hard core 12 hour shifts? Also, is it hard to get a job with them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! I am worried about working 12 hour shifts (wont be able to see my kids every other week). Other than that, I don't mind working hard. Anyone know if they are hard core 12 hour shifts? Also, is it hard to get a job with them?
Have you asked what their shifts are like? The Kaiser near me doesn't do 7/7 12s.

Have you asked what their shifts are like? The Kaiser near me doesn't do 7/7 12s.

Oh really gutonc? Someone told me that all of them do that shift. It is good to know that there is a possibility of something else. I called their recruiter and she confused me with the shifts and hours worked. She told me one thing and then told me something else right before ending the call. She said the base was $240 three years coming out residency, 25 grand sign on bonus with a 2 year commitment; RVUs on top of that and a very generous benefits package. Also, become partner after 3 years of working with them (I do not know what being partner means). So the hours and shifts worked kind of confused me.

Last edited:
The schedules may vary from location to location. I work as a hospitalist at a kaiser in northern california and I don't know of any up here that do 12 hour shifts. The longest shift we have at our facility is 10 hours. There may not be many hospitalist positions in san diego as they only have 1 hospital there afaik; there are many more locations in northern california/LA/OC. I have no idea how they handle compensation currently as southern california kaiser is actually an entirely separate medical group.

The schedules may vary from location to location. I work as a hospitalist at a kaiser in northern california and I don't know of any up here that do 12 hour shifts. The longest shift we have at our facility is 10 hours. There may not be many hospitalist positions in san diego as they only have 1 hospital there afaik; there are many more locations in northern california/LA/OC. I have no idea how they handle compensation currently as southern california kaiser is actually an entirely separate medical group.

How do I figure out who I need to talk to regarding schedules and details? Do you like working for kaiser?

How do I figure out who I need to talk to regarding schedules and details? Do you like working for kaiser?

Instead of asking anonymous people online, you need to get in touch with their recruiter & they should be able to answer all of these Qs in the context of that specific location

I was not impressed with the Kaiser Recruiters. Barely give you any information about the program, ask you the bend over backwards (relatively) just to apply, and will not even give you a proper "rejection." Maybe its supply and demand, but it pissed me off enough to not really bother with them further.

But for me it wasnt a die hard need, it was one of my top options but I was open to any other parts of the country so i said forget it.

Instead of asking anonymous people online, you need to get in touch with their recruiter & they should be able to answer all of these Qs in the context of that specific location

Hmmm, did you read my previous post?? I already talked to their recruiter. If you don't have any constructive comments, might as well not post. Thanks anyways.

Hmmm, did you read my previous post?? I already talked to their recruiter. If you don't have any constructive comments, might as well not post. Thanks anyways.
Is it an in-house recruiter? Or external? If external, they're as useless as a 3rd nipple. and you can assume that anything that's not an out and out lie is just ignorantly wrong.

(If they're internal and this clueless then I think you have an answer about whether this is a place you want to be.)

If you want to be in SD, go on the interview (make sure they pay) and find out for yourself.

Is it an in-house recruiter? Or external? If external, they're as useless as a 3rd nipple. and you can assume that anything that's not an out and out lie is just ignorantly wrong.

(If they're internal and this clueless then I think you have an answer about whether this is a place you want to be.)

If you want to be in SD, go on the interview (make sure they pay) and find out for yourself.

Kaiser doesn't use "external recruiters".

Kaiser doesn't use "external recruiters".

I talked to the in house recruiter, specifically for recruiting hospitalists. Her name is Patty Darling. I called her again and emailed her as well. No response. This is why I am asking other people if they know anything about Kaiser because I am not getting much information from the recruiter. I don't want to waste my time sending my CV if I don't like their schedules and basic information.

I talked to the in house recruiter, specifically for recruiting hospitalists. Her name is Patty Darling. I called her again and emailed her as well. No response. This is why I am asking other people if they know anything about Kaiser because I am not getting much information from the recruiter. I don't want to waste my time sending my CV if I don't like their schedules and basic information.
You've wasted far more time on this thread than you would have just sending your CV. That should have taken you about 15 seconds.

So you want them to share the details of their practice before you've sent a cv? You'd probably be better served by a small private practice.

I suspect they don't have too much trouble filling hospitalist gigs in San Diego.

Same experience here. She called me and left a message.

I emailed her and called her back, about 3-4 times and left messages...no peep.

Not very professional... and doesn't reflect well on Kaiser.

Typical response from Kaiser in Southern California. There are so many people vying for those Hospitalists gigs in SD they don't really need to go out of their way. And this isn't limited to Kaiser either.