Kaplan Review Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalDude99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I've tried studying for over a year now for the DAT on my own. I tried to follow the DAT bootcamp schedule while also using Crack the DAT and my Kaplan blue book. However, after months of studying and below-average DAT scores, I'm trying to find a new and better method of studying. I've noticed that most people who praise DAT bootcamp are good at studying on their own. Sadly, I am not the most disciplined person when it comes to self-studying. So I was wondering if Kaplan and DAT Destroyer combination would be good for someone like me. I've heard and read that Kaplan has set times for online classes and even assign homework. This is something I believe will help keep me engaged and help me study more. I want opinions however, because it's such an expensive investment. One last question would be, is it too much to work while studying for the DAT? Do I need to be able to focus all of my time on studying and worry about working after I take the exam again? All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan sucks. I used it. Don't use it for studying purposes but rather use it for the full length exams. Use Bootcamp, DAT Destroyer, and Chad's Videos. If you finish the DAT Destroyer a few times, you're good. You almost might want to spend some time on the DAT discussion forum and read some DAT breakdowns, they help a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally used Crack the DAT and had very good results so far most especially their PAT section. What seems to be the problem with it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not recommend Kaplan at all. I used it to study because I thought I would do better with a set schedule and assigned hw and it was a complete waste of money. Invest in DAT destroyer and Crack the DAT

I personally used Crack the DAT and had very good results so far most especially their PAT section. What seems to be the problem with it?
My issue is I need more structure with my studying. I didn't get much from taking tests over and over again. The PAT section did help me a lot. My PAT score increased 7 points from the first time I took the DAT. If all of Crack the DAT had the same structure as their PAT help, I'd love it. How did you use Crack the DAT for the science sections? I'm always open to better, more efficient study methods.

I paid for the on-site classroom kaplan course package for ~1800 dollars. THE WORST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I only went because my friend who I went to undergrad with went there. She went to the classes nearly 95% of the time, but I only went 80% of the time because I had 2 jobs and multiple club responsibilities. She ended up attending Dr. Jim Romano's classes, which I had no clue at the time. I ended up buying his books, but guess what? I still managed to get a 21+ AA and I did better than her.:eek:

TL ; DR. You can work while studying for the DAT if you manage your time well and you feel you are up to the task. But I highly advise against it.

Check out @8_man sick thread for dat preparation and breakdown:
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...-thread-future-test-takers-look-here.1230067/

Reactions: 1 user
I highly recommend Chad's video and DAT bootcamp.
Study the material thoroughly, then take the bootcamp and DAT destroyers as tests. For me they were more like testing your knowledge and fill in the gaps rather than instructional.
For bio, I got a few AP bio books (cliffnotes, barron) and watched a bunch of AP bio videos on youtube.
I heard Kaplan is not worth it.

My issue is I need more structure with my studying. I didn't get much from taking tests over and over again. The PAT section did help me a lot. My PAT score increased 7 points from the first time I took the DAT. If all of Crack the DAT had the same structure as their PAT help, I'd love it. How did you use Crack the DAT for the science sections? I'm always open to better, more efficient study methods.

I would say the video tutorials really helped me. So sometimes instead of taking the test, I would just save it and review the video tutorials first to get a refresher on the content. Then I would go and take a different test and save the saved test I used as a review to test myself if I had improved. Also, since I am taking a lot of science courses, a lot of this information is already fresh for me. I also have heard that a lot of people who know the material still don't do well because they don't use these DAT simulated tests to practice with the testing conditions of the DAT. I think that it is more on the strategy in studying and not just rely on the tests. Sometimes, we just go ahead and tend to memorize the questions and it gets confusing in time. :)

Crack DAT PAT sucks, use bootcamp for studying
I second this! I bought Crack DAT PAT and it was a HUGE waste of money. Used it once and immediately regretted buying it. Bootcamp is all you need for the PAT. Also Kaplan has horrible reviews and my friend got it and said it was also a huge waste of money and had a ton of mistakes and was out of date (she ended up using Bootcamp). Plus from what I have heard Kaplan is still a lot of self study. My advice would be to do Bootcamp over again. It is hands down the best and most up to date resource. Follow Ari's schedule but if it is too fast paced for you (like it was for me) then adjust it for yourself. You need to set a timeline for yourself with an actual end date and sit down every single day and study. Throw yourself all in. Eat, sleep, and breathe it. It will be a few months of hell but it will be worth it. If you really want this you can do it! I am a HUGE procrastinator and not the most disciplined type of person either. I started out loosely following Ari's schedule and was not very dedicated and ended up wasting a month or two half-assing it. However, I got up one day and told myself if I really really wanted this I needed to stop fooling around and wasting time and I needed to get serious. I re-started bootcamp and modified Ari's schedule to fit my slightly slower pace. I used all of the resources he suggested (Bootcamp, Chad's videos, Feralis bio notes, destroyer, Cliff AP Bio etc.) and studied every single day completely dedicating my life to it. I did practice test after practice test. It was absolute hell but when I got discouraged I would picture myself being interviewed by my dream school and it would push me to keep going. If you have already been studying for a year and have not made any progress, I personally do not think your problem will be miraculously solved by Kaplan, a poorly rated DAT course. Instead I think you just need to ask yourself how badly do you really want this? If you truly want to kill it on the DAT you can, it just takes a lot of hard work and extreme dedication. You need to find the fire and drive within yourself. Trust me, there is no better feeling in the world than walking out of your DAT after completely crushing it and realizing that all of your blood, sweat, and tons of tears payed off. I know it sounds cliche but I truly believe that anyone can do well on this exam it just depends on how badly you want it. Dig deep, find the fire within yourself, and use DAT Bootcamp it is hands down the best. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users