Kaplan-style Radiation Oncology Lecture DVD/program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rickytmk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I grown up from studying the Kaplan Step1,2,3 lecture DVDs to get my medical knowledge (on top of the boring medical school lectures). I would really like to look for something similar for rad onc. or good lecture or multimedia self learning programs for all the rad onc essential components like radiobiology, radiation physics, etc. As I find myself more receptive in audiovisual approach. So far I find nothing specific for this but only those lecture review course for medical oncology or cancer imaging lecture offered by cmeinfo.com .

Could anyone help please? I appreciate your time! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Not really. Rad Onc is not exactly a big field and there is not huge market for these products (unlike USMLE Boards which everyone takes). The only caveat are the Physics/Radbio/Clinical refresher courses that are given for residents each year. I believe they take place in Maryland. However, you have to pay a pretty penny to attend (most residencies would cover the cost I imagine) and the information they give is probably not free to distribute.

There is the ASTRO spring refresher course as well as refresher courses from the ASTRO meeting. DVDs and CDs (slides and occasionally recorded lectures) can be purchased from these, though they are not likely to be as streamlined as a Kaplan course which is designed for board review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone!

I tried Osler's review they contains MP3 recording of the Clinical review which is good but sadly they don't have any DVD/MP3 recording of the basic sciences stuff which only present in the real course. As I am living several thousands miles away from USA, it makes things a bit difficult.

I also tried to google search the Astro Refresher course but it seems there is no refresher course DVD available to be sold on the website, it would be a fantastic thing to have, sadly I cannot get hold to this. :(

any further info would be greatly appreciated!

thanks heaps!

Thanks everyone!

I tried Osler's review they contains MP3 recording of the Clinical review which is good but sadly they don't have any DVD/MP3 recording of the basic sciences stuff which only present in the real course. As I am living several thousands miles away from USA, it makes things a bit difficult.

I also tried to google search the Astro Refresher course but it seems there is no refresher course DVD available to be sold on the website, it would be a fantastic thing to have, sadly I cannot get hold to this. :(

any further info would be greatly appreciated!

thanks heaps!

http://astro.org/Meetings/AnnualMee...eting/VirtualMeeting/documents/order-form.pdf

it wasnt too hard to find, just had to navigate the website.

Thanks but I reckon all this refresher course are clinical orientated and not much or even none covering the basic medical physics, radiobiology. that includes the Olser's review and the Astro refresher.
Or did I miss out somethings?

thanks

Thanks but I reckon all this refresher course are clinical orientated and not much or even none covering the basic medical physics, radiobiology. that includes the Olser's review and the Astro refresher.
Or did I miss out somethings?

thanks

Yes, you are missing something. U Maryland has an annual lecture series for Physics and Radiobio that span over 3 days (this year just finished a few weeks ago) that is boards-oriented and if you do attend, you get access to the entire lectures series in video as well as previous years lectures. $200 for the course, which is not bad at all (not including housing and food, but they do give lunch). Once you get to your 3rd year, you will automatically be sent an advertisement for it.

I attended the course this year and my personal opinion of the course is that the Physics was helpful, radiobio not so much for me, but that's b/c our radiobio teaching in our dept is quite strong so the Maryland radiobio review was good, but didn't add much for me.

Hope this helps.

Yes, you are missing something. U Maryland has an annual lecture series for Physics and Radiobio that span over 3 days (this year just finished a few weeks ago) that is boards-oriented and if you do attend, you get access to the entire lectures series in video as well as previous years lectures. $200 for the course, which is not bad at all (not including housing and food, but they do give lunch). Once you get to your 3rd year, you will automatically be sent an advertisement for it.

I attended the course this year and my personal opinion of the course is that the Physics was helpful, radiobio not so much for me, but that's b/c our radiobio teaching in our dept is quite strong so the Maryland radiobio review was good, but didn't add much for me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the great information!! I really apprecited that!!! But unfortunately I am not residing in USA and so unable to attend any of the Review course of radiobiology/physics organised by the U of Maryland. Is there anyway I could register in this course and hence able to watch and download the lecutres? I am happy to chip in if you paid for the course. :D As I learn much more efficiently via lecture. Thanks for your info!

I absolutely love the new virtual meeting presentations that ASTRO is providing for the annual meeting and the refresher courses. One of the frustrating things about the big meeting was that many of the educational sessions were early in the morning and often conflicted with other sessions. Here is the link I use:

www.softconference.com/astro

I absolutely love the new virtual meeting presentations that ASTRO is providing for the annual meeting and the refresher courses. One of the frustrating things about the big meeting was that many of the educational sessions were early in the morning and often conflicted with other sessions. Here is the link I use:

www.softconference.com/astro

It's nice.
You can download the MP3 files of the audio component, but the video is streaming, and as far as I can tell, there's no easy way to download it for permanent storage.

Does anyone know a hack/workaround to download the videos/slides?

It's nice.
You can download the MP3 files of the audio component, but the video is streaming, and as far as I can tell, there's no easy way to download it for permanent storage.

Does anyone know a hack/workaround to download the videos/slides?

Just a friendly bump for Brim's question. I wouldn't mind plunking down some cash for the ASTRO Spring Refresher but not being able to view the multimedia (e.g. Powerpoint presentations) on the go w/o Inernet access is annoying.

Figured I'd check if theres any update to this post. I'm a medical student and am finding it kind of difficult to learn about the basics of RadOnc by reading some of the texts out there.. any audio-visual stuff that ppl recommend?