kaufman course: is this true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherryalmond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i may be able to get the kaufman board notes from the course from a friend but is it true that you actually need to go to the course to get any benefit because I was told that he lectures throughout and says stuff that isn't in the notes; also the notes are not in paragraph form so they are hard to follow if you're not actually in the class. would anyone who has taken the course agree with that? thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the same as well.

I got the notes from a friend who did take the course. The notes were good enough IMHO, and they were enough to get me to pass the boards. I also used the Beat the Boards notes, but I felt I would've been fine with just the Kaufman notes.

Based on all of this, IMHO it's better to take the actual course if you got the time and you have good reason to believe you you're on shaky ground. This is more for psychological validation. I'd bet most people who studied for the boards with the notes with enough time and diligence will be able to pass without the course.

If, however, you have good reason to believe you will at least do decent, I'd skip the course. It's expensive and if you're not in the immediate area, you're going to spend a lot of money in travelling and lodging.

A theory---One of the instructors in the Kaufmann course wrote a question book.

http://www.amazon.com/Psychiatry-Te...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262797716&sr=8-1

This book is extremely high yield and also highlights what is very likely to be in the exam. The notes and this book may be good enough to get the effect of the course--but that's only my theory. Since I never sat in the course, I do not know.

I have that book already and it's pretty good; i just did a few questions. does anyone who actually took the course think it needs to be attended rather than just look over the notes. The person who would loan them to me said that the notes are pointless without actually sitting in on the course (obviously she went to the live lectures).