KCU-Joplin Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had heard from KCU-Joplin? They were supposed to begin accepting applications for classes starting in 2023 this May, but despite having reached out twice to the school for information, I haven't been contacted back. Was anyone able to successfully apply? If so, have you heard back from admissions?
Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed and I have simply overlooked it 👍

Members don't see this ad.

I applied last week and my application has been verified by ADEA AADSAS for a while now, but I have not heard anything from KCU. Did you email or call them when you tried to contact them? Their website says that would start offering secondary applications in mid-July so maybe they'll be contacting applicants soon? I know I just sent out my application but I do find it weird that I haven't heard anything from them but I have heard from everyone else.

Interesting! Both times I contacted them it was via email, so I may have to call. It may also be that I reached out not as an applicant (next year for me!) but as someone simply requesting information. Still, I just find their compete radio silence weird, especially to someone like you who is an applicant and since you've heard back from other schools. Usually when I reach out to a school, I'll hear back from someone, but I've heard nothing from KCU 🤔
Hopefully, since they are hoping to offer secondary apps basically now, we start hearing more!

Members don't see this ad :)
Another new dental school!

Reactions: 1 users
Another new dental school!
Which I'm not mad about because it is two hours from 90% of my family and three hours from the other 10% :oops::lol:

Reactions: 1 user
Which I'm not mad about because it is two hours from 90% of my family and three hours from the other 10% :oops::lol:
You realize that more dental schools opening isn't good for the profession right?

Reactions: 2 users
You realize that more dental schools opening isn't good for the profession right?
While I understand your point, I am also super familiar with this area, and how badly they need something like this. I grew up in rural communities all around that area, the kind where you had to drive an hour+ to see a dentist (who was usually mostly retired, had been in practice for 40+ years, or in one case, practicing illegally). I can take a hypothetical marginal “blow” to my future career if it means more dentists in the area, to be completely frank.

Also, are any of us really going to be that affected by more dental schools? Or just dentists in major metro areas? But maybe that’s just my opinion because this school is close to home and I am a little naïve 👍

While I understand your point, I am also super familiar with this area, and how badly they need something like this. I grew up in rural communities all around that area, the kind where you had to drive an hour+ to see a dentist (who was usually mostly retired, had been in practice for 40+ years, or in one case, practicing illegally). I can take a hypothetical marginal “blow” to my future career if it means more dentists in the area, to be completely frank.

Also, are any of us really going to be that affected by more dental schools? Or just dentists in major metro areas? But maybe that’s just my opinion because this school is close to home and I am a little naïve 👍
The people who attend that school will take their skill straight into suburbia and the city. The care that will be provided will be through the school, not by more practicing dentists. This has been demonstrated over and over. The school in El Paso through Texas Tech will have students go straight to Dallas or Houston. After grinding for 4 years and taking on fat debt you’re not out to help anyone but yourself for a while.

Reactions: 7 users

None of the dentists who train there will stay there. And dental insurance compensation will continue to decline due to an over supply of dentists nationally - they don’t give a damn what need you’re serving in the community. And the dental corps will send their army of debt slaves wherever will get them the most profit. This story has gotten old.

Reactions: 7 users

You may be the exception to a general rule, but if you were raised there, yes you probably would stay. I can see you benefit from all the connections. What you should see is any major scholarships like NHSC to make you even more financially solvent.

Dentistry closed schools in the 80s and the horrible admissions times still hurt. Pharmacy and law are going through this now, and the bubble may burst on so many other profesions programs that are growing quickly.

A lot of facts stated in this thread from D1Bound and Ivy.ch. How many dental therapists practice in the Twin Cities metro area instead of rural MN? I think I saw somewhere that it was around 2/3rds practice around Minneapolis, but I don't have the source so don't quote me. How many NPs practice where all the doctors want to practice rather than in underserved communities? It's just human nature (for most people) to go where other people live.

I just got an interview invite to KCU anyone else? Is there a groupme/whatsapp?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview today! I signed up for the November 18th date.

Hi, what was the overall GPA/ DAt needed? Also, I got rejected an interview even tho I had 3.7 gpa with couple withdrawls, masters degree with 3.78 GPA no withdrawls, 24 DAT. Its hard to get why?

Hi, what was the overall GPA/ DAt needed? Also, I got rejected an interview even tho I had 3.7 gpa with couple withdrawls, masters degree with 3.78 GPA no withdrawls, 24 DAT. Its hard to get why?
yield management...

Also what state are you from? I know they cater more towards four different surrounding states.

Maybe if I move to Kansas right next to this school, they might reconsider??

Maybe if I move to Kansas right next to this school, they might reconsider??
Probably too late now, as you have to have some time in that state to establish legal residency.

And unless you have familial obligations, the only state that is actually worth moving to/changing your residency for for dental school is Texas.

This is costing tooo much money. In other countries people finish thier education much much faster. Like they are done at 24, max 25. In USA, the whole process is undergrad, grad, dental school, residency, fellowship, 2nd residency......
Like the system education system +work system needs to change....

I was wondering if anyone had heard from KCU-Joplin? They were supposed to begin accepting applications for classes starting in 2023 this May, but despite having reached out twice to the school for information, I haven't been contacted back. Was anyone able to successfully apply? If so, have you heard back from admissions?
Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed and I have simply overlooked it 👍
I got an interview invite! all virtual this year

Received an virtual interview invite for 12/08 (it was scheduled on the 12th, but they asked to reschedule), and the admissions even stated on the email I can know of my status on the 15th. I'm OOS from Oregon, so there is hope for OOS applicants.

Reactions: 4 users
Whoever has gotten an interview please drop your stats and interview experience for others that are curious and will be in your shoes soon.

For KCU, we had to sign an NDA to make sure we won't share the interview process/interview questions with anyone. Wish I could be more of help! Just relax, make sure to do a lot of practice questions online, and you'll be fine. Be yourself! They want to learn more about you as a person!

Greetings all,

Does anyone know if KCU qualifies for federal student loans?

No because they said not hearing is a good sign as well. Obviously, as long as we don’t get a rejection…they said it could still be an acceptance. So don’t worry !
So I’m guessing if we didn’t get an email that means rejected?

Accepted around midnight. I'm out of state. Felt like I had an average interview. Followed up with a good email. Good luck to all of you.

I'm in state 😁
Hey classmate!

Accepted at midnight, and I am out of state. I felt I had solid, quality conversations during my interview (except for one that could have been better), and it might have helped to be the only girl during the group assignment. Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats to everyone that was accepted! Not sure if we should start a group chat or a new thread on here to discuss any FAQ’s that we all have!

Congrats to everyone that was accepted! Not sure if we should start a group chat or a new thread on here to discuss any FAQ’s that we all have!
I made one:

You're invited to join my group "Kansas City University Dental c/o 2027" on GroupMe.

GroupMe