KCUMB Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone is entitled to have an oppinion and to express it if need be; however I am sooo tired of hearing your negative A@* comments KCUMBscarCONTRT:mad:. WE GET IT. YOU DONT LIKE KCUMB.

Anyway, with that said, does anyone other than "Debbie Downer" have advise on interviewing at KCUMB?

You are gonna get this over and over again. People are going to tell you this negative thing about school X and that negative thing about school Y. I'm sure you all realize that you are no longer children. Research EVERYTHING. There won't be 100% positives anywhere, but it's ok. You aren't going to medical school so that everything will be easy and happy. You're going to medical school to work and become a doctor. It is a full time job. I'm enjoying KCUMB so far, albeit, I'm just about to start week 3. I'm sure I will find something negative at some point, but as an adult, I know I can handle it. Bring the same attitude where ever you go and you'll be fine. Good luck on this application cycle. Apply everywhere... you'll be glad you did. When you get your interviews, relax. Go in and tell a story that shows you are human. I talked about cartoon marathons with my nephew and teaching him the theme to Underdog (which I actually sang at AZCOM and LSU-NO... yeah, I'm a nut but I was accepted at both places). They know your numbers, so don't go in there as a "numbers person". Show them you are real. After your interviews, send thank you notes to those who interviewed you (get that nice cloth-type paper). You'll hear from the school pretty quickly.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Alex! I know we can all grow from differences in oppinion, I enjoy our differences and expect a mixture of energies (neg/pos/indifferent). However when someone keeps stating their oppinion over and over, it becomes more of a nagging plead to think the same way as they do.. .that is something I do not enjoy.

I read your profile, you had some tough choices to make when choosing your school. So what was the major selling point for you at KCUMB?

Last edited:
I think the official tutor setup that KCUMB has will prove to be a very valuable resource. Other schools didnt offer this as formally as KCUMB does. KCUMB has a building thats primary use is for COB, and TUTORS

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing you should always, always ask about are how clinical rotations are setup for your third and fourth year. Look at it critically. I know this is sort of nebulous to you right now, as a premedical student, but it is a crucial step in preparation for your residency, and thus can affect you greatly.

Since many, if not most, osteopathic medical schools, don't have attached hospitals at their campus, but instead have a relatively long list of hospital affiliates where you can rotate, which are often shared by several medical schools, you will want to make sure that these hospitals, or locations, are sites where you'd want to do your rotations. Look at the choices very carefully.

At KCUMB your third year is generally spent rotating at one hospital location (which is indeed a blessing) if it works out that you rotate in a site that is outside of KC, otherwise if you end up in KC, you'll likely be doing some driving from site to site. Unless you have to stay in KC for your third year, which the DO/MBA folks are required to do, then you will be matched to a site in a list of available affiliates via lottery. Although KCUMB does have sites across the states, many of them are concentrated in specific geographic areas, so make sure these are good by you. Ask about how the lottery process works and how they help you make your choices, including what information they may provide about the sites, such as feedback from students who have rotated at the sites in previous years, if they are offering that.

Your fourth year is comprised mostly of electives, which means you are primarily responsible for arranging a majority of your own rotations. The school assists with the arrangement and paperwork, but the rest is up to you.

Honestly, I'd have to say that all schools are going to prepare you well for the boards. I think the key things you are going to be looking for at KCUMB, and other institutions, are personal fit (what's important to you, including location), cost of attendence, third and fourth year rotations, and overall preparation for residency.

Last edited:
Thanks Alex! I know we can all grow from differences in oppinion, I enjoy our differences and expect a mixture of energies (neg/pos/indifferent). However when someone keeps stating their oppinion over and over, it becomes more of a nagging plead to think the same way as they do.. .that is something I do not enjoy.

I read your profile, you had some tough choices to make when choosing your school. So what was the major selling point for you at KCUMB?

Well I spoke to a few osteopathic physicians who spoke very highly of KCUMB's reputation. Also, I liked the sense of spirituality here. During orientation week, there was a physician-instructor who spoke about how he is the first one "to lay hands on a miracle of God." I've been used to the science field dismissing the very concept of God. Hearing him say that was a nice change. Of course, I checked boards and rotation opportunities. I felt this place had a good balance of positives and negatives. Whatever place you choose, make sure you feel comfortable there. I feel comfortable here now and felt that on interview day as well.

I would send both in. I know I did, and I'm a third year now. Good luck with the interview process!

"
IV. Three personal evaluation forms: (
See Frequently Asked Questions)
•One to be used by your Pre-Med advisor or Pre-Med committee;
•One to be used by a science instructor who personally knows your academic work

if he or she is not already included in the above-mentioned Pre-Med evaluation
•One to be filled out by a Physician (​
preferably an osteopathic physician)"

^ this is why I am confused....my pre-med committee letter contains 2 science professor evaluations and a composition professor eval. I am going to call tomorrow to find out for sure...but if anyone knows more about this, I would appreciate your take on it!

KCUMB website said:
  1. Letters of evaluation from EACH of the following sources are required:
    • a physician (preferably a D.O.)
    • a science faculty member who is familiar with the applicant’s academic work
    • a premedical source
      • This could be an advisor’s letter, a composite evaluation or evaluations from a committee. If a premed source is not available, another science faculty, in addition to the above, or an employer’s letter may be substituted. (Letters of evaluation submitted by recommendation services companies are not acceptable to meet the evaluation requirements.)
      • Evaluations must be written within the two years prior to making application.
      • Applicants who anticipate making application for military scholarships should make arrangements to obtain additional copies of evaluation letters. Military scholarship committees require original letters for this purpose. Applicants anticipating applying for these scholarships should obtain additional evaluation letters from evaluators and have the letters placed in officially sealed envelopes.

You need one from a physician, one from a faculty member, and one from a pre-med committee OR another faculty member.

"

IV. Three personal evaluation forms: (
See Frequently Asked Questions)

•One to be used by your Pre-Med advisor or Pre-Med committee;
•One to be used by a science instructor who personally knows your academic work
if he or she is not already included in the above-mentioned Pre-Med evaluation
•One to be filled out by a Physician (

preferably an osteopathic physician)"

^ this is why I am confused....my pre-med committee letter contains 2 science professor evaluations and a composition professor eval. I am going to call tomorrow to find out for sure...but if anyone knows more about this, I would appreciate your take on it!

I had a committee send in the formal LOR and within the packet she sent a copy of every lor I received: 3 science prof., 1 MD lor. And then of course she sent in the "committee" letter. So if your premed advisor sent in your formal lor I'm pretty sure he/she would have included the science prof. lor(s) as well.​

Last edited:
Anyone here interviewing on the 16th of Sept.?

i was given that interview date but i checked off that i had to reschedule, is it difficult to reschedule at KCUMB?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking forward to seeing you there! :banana:

yeah i called admissions and they kept forwarding me to someone else until i finally received a voicemail message, i left a message, i figure ill try again next week, just wanted to see if anybody else was able to reschedule

I'm interviewing there next week on Thursday. . ..how did it go??

Can I apply without the genetics requirement if I take genetics before I begin school in 2009?

Can I apply without the genetics requirement if I take genetics before I begin school in 2009?

I called them a while back to ask them the same question about biochem. They said that as long as I take it before fall 2009 its ok. Just make sure that they know you are going to take genetics: either put it down on AACOMAS as a class you will take in the future, or (if your AACOMAS is already in) maybe just give them a call and tell them.

Can someone post the essays on the secondary application please and for those of you who have had your interview how did it go?

/

Last edited:
quick question guys,

I'm not really familiar with KCUMB's interview process
but I got an email today calling me for an interview next month and I havn't even submitted a secondary yet.
the secondary was attached to the email however...
so...did they mess up and send me the wrong info, or is this their usual process?
as in do they interview a whole boatload of people, and all the people they send secondaries to?

Thanks

quick question guys,

but I got an email today calling me for an interview next month and I havn't even submitted a secondary yet.
so...did they mess up and send me the wrong info, or is this their usual process?
as in do they interview a whole boatload of people, and all the people they send secondaries to?

Thanks

Don't be alarmed; it's not a mistake. A number of osteopathic medical schools do this. It's called a pre-secondary interview and I think that it's a way to try to get particularly good, or promising, applicants before other schools do. From what I gather, a medical school, such as KCUMB, might screen their current pool of applicants and try to hand out these types of interviews to applicants that they are particularly good applicants. If you receive an interview from KCUMB, there's a good chance you'll be accepted; they tend to choose who they interview carefully. My impression is that the bulk of the selection takes place prior to the interview. Those who reach the interview stage at KCUMB generally are ones that they think are strong applicants, at least on paper.

If you are interested in KCUMB, fill out the secondary and send it in promptly, noting the deadline for submission (which should be before your interview date, of course), and attend the interview. It's pretty laid back and they do a lot of marketing to you. It's a low stress interview, for the most part. It's generally two-on-one (two faculty or staff and one applicant) and the ambassadors know who you are going to be interviewing with, so they try to prep you a bit. Just make sure you study up a bit on the hx of osteopathic medicine...they want folks to know what they are getting into. Also, it's open file, so make sure you know your own application well.

it was my first interview so i was scared, but it turned out to be pretty stress free. My interviewers had like a discussion and arguments about Art which didnt include me for like 10 min. but it wasnt too bad. or so i hope...we'll see.

I'm interviewing there next week on Thursday. . ..how did it go??

Hi. I wonder if I saw you there?
:)

Wow, I don't know. There were over 30 interviewing that day (I think 33)! I hope you liked KCUMB. What did you think of the school? I thought it was nice, but I am weary of the class size of 250. Seems pretty large.

Hey everybody. Is there anyone going to KCUMB now that can comment on the quality of their OMM instruction? Also, can you compare it to other schools from what you have heard/experienced? This is a really important factor for me in choosing where I want to go. Thanks!

quick question guys,

Thanks

Me too dude! good work man, im super excited to visit this school!

Hey everybody. Is there anyone going to KCUMB now that can comment on the quality of their OMM instruction? Also, can you compare it to other schools from what you have heard/experienced? This is a really important factor for me in choosing where I want to go. Thanks!

OMT training is pretty solid. The instructors are family medicine/sports medicine physicians that run OMT clinics when they are not attending to their teaching duties at school. They are all very enthusiastic teachers.

One day of each week is devoted to OMT (last I remember, Wednesday for 1st years, Thursday for 2nd years). You will see the OMT room (which is huge) on your interview day. There are approximately 25-30 second year students that volunteer as assistant instructors for the first years during each OMT instruction day.

For those students that wish to have additional training, there is also a student OMM club that is effectively an additional training session for those that wish to have more practice. The school also sponsors OMT tutors for those that wish to have even more formal one-on-one/small group sessions.

OMT training is pretty solid. The instructors are family medicine/sports medicine physicians that run OMT clinics when they are not attending to their teaching duties at school. They are all very enthusiastic teachers.

One day of each week is devoted to OMT (last I remember, Wednesday for 1st years, Thursday for 2nd years). You will see the OMT room (which is huge) on your interview day. There are approximately 25-30 second year students that volunteer as assistant instructors for the first years during each OMT instruction day.

For those students that wish to have additional training, there is also a student OMM club that is effectively an additional training session for those that wish to have more practice. The school also sponsors OMT tutors for those that wish to have even more formal one-on-one/small group sessions.

Thanks!

I'm bumping this thread in recognition of today's interviewees. I think I'm one of the few who walked out of the interview not quite so convinced of its ease. Time will tell I guess. I really felt at home at the school though.

I'm bumping this thread in recognition of today's interviewees. I think I'm one of the few who walked out of the interview not quite so convinced of its ease. Time will tell I guess. I really felt at home at the school though.

really? did they grill you or what?

First, you folks looked good all dressed up and stuff. Don't sweat it. If you got an interview, they like you. There is something like an 85% acceptance rate. I thought my interview wasn't top notch, but here I am watching this year's interviewees walking through my lectures. Smile. Relax. You'll hear from them in a few weeks, and I'll put money on you being accepted to school. Good luck in your other interviews. :)

First, you folks looked good all dressed up and stuff. Don't sweat it. If you got an interview, they like you. There is something like an 85% acceptance rate. I thought my interview wasn't top notch, but here I am watching this year's interviewees walking through my lectures. Smile. Relax. You'll hear from them in a few weeks, and I'll put money on you being accepted to school. Good luck in your other interviews. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

What class were you in, the one that hadn't started yet, or the one with the anencephalic baby?

Thanks for the kind words.

What class were you in, the one that hadn't started yet, or the one with the anencephalic baby?

Ummm... our class hadn't started yet when I happened to turn and see a group of folks. I don't know how many groups came through, but yeah, we were probably the class that was patiently waiting to start.

For those who haven't intereviewed, be professional, but don't be too stiff. Numbers have their place, but if you don't show that you know how to be human, you aren't going to get very far. They don't have to give you an interview. So if you do get one, it's because they want to learn about you. So relax, show them what makes you a complete person, and everything should work out for you.

Alright, time for some decompression...

I just saw this, so I thought I would chime in. The first years have OMT 2 hours a week on Tuesdays. Those sessions are set up to give you a basis for understanding. You are expected to practice on your own afterward. It's not hard to get a fellow or a doctor to help you outside of the lab hours (or at least in my experience it's not). Plus the fellows set up a review before each test. Something you have to remember when it comes to this stuff (as well as anything in med school), you get what you put into it. If you want the minimum amount of knowledge, coming to class and going through the motions may be sufficient for you. If you really want to understand what's going on, practicing a couple of times a week, getting a tutor (which is free here), and learning to correlate OMT with what you learn in your other lectures is the way to go. It's on you to get proficient in this stuff.

I just wanted to let any females know that I am willing to host for interviews. I am a first year at KCUMB, but I did not sign up for the student host program. I did not want to lock myself into hosting in case things came up. I have a pullout couch that is actually very comfortable.

Just shoot me a message with your interview date. I will look at my schedule and see what I can do. Good luck!

Thanks LSU. In reality though, nothing is "free" at these medical schools. Tuition is high for a reason. It seems as though that is the case with OMM at other schools as well. But if you have some professors that are excited/enthused about OMM or any subject that they teach, it makes learning it a lot easier, and also gives more motivation to practice it as well. I am just looking for quality education. You are at KCUMB I am assuming? How do you like it there? How are the clinical rotations?

Today is the day that our interviewers told us we would be notified of our acceptance/rejection. So before I jump for joy or shed a few tears. . .should I be expecting a letter, email, or phone call?

a letter....though i got an answer out of them via email last week.

Today is the day that our interviewers told us we would be notified of our acceptance/rejection. So before I jump for joy or shed a few tears. . .should I be expecting a letter, email, or phone call?

good luck!!!

Thanks! I hope I get some good news today, I really enjoyed the interviewing process there- I just felt at home.

I got in!!!!!!:love: I'm going to be a doctor!!!

Thanks LSU. In reality though, nothing is "free" at these medical schools. Tuition is high for a reason. It seems as though that is the case with OMM at other schools as well. But if you have some professors that are excited/enthused about OMM or any subject that they teach, it makes learning it a lot easier, and also gives more motivation to practice it as well. I am just looking for quality education. You are at KCUMB I am assuming? How do you like it there? How are the clinical rotations?

Yes, I'm at KCUMB. I love it so far. We just took a musculoskeletal quiz this morning (I don't call anything that's 70 questions a quiz, though), and I took it out. I've been out of school for a few years working. So getting used to the studying and grind has been interesting so far. However, I like challenges. Granted, I'm only 9 or 10 weeks into school, but take this with you. I'm not saying there aren't any negatives, but every place has negatives. Just go to med school ready to work for your education and you'll be fine.

I got in!!!!!!:love: I'm going to be a doctor!!!

Congrats. I hope this is the first of many positive letters for you!

Congrats!!! Where in Dallas are you from? I'm from Wylie, it's near Plano. There are about 10 people from Texas in the 2012 class.

quick question about interview day
say my interview is at 130, do i still need to stick around til 4 (in the email it says interview day activities conclude at 4pm)
i'm asking because i could catch a flight back to detroit around 530 and if i could schedule an early interview that would save me 1 nights hotel cost

thanks

quick question about interview day
say my interview is at 130, do i still need to stick around til 4 (in the email it says interview day activities conclude at 4pm)
i'm asking because i could catch a flight back to detroit around 530 and if i could schedule an early interview that would save me 1 nights hotel cost

thanks

Well, I interviewed on Sept. 16th and first off, if you let admissions know that you have a flight at 5:30, they will work you in to get interviewed in one of the first groups, space permitting. Second, if you are staying at a hotel and using the kcumb shuttle, they like to take the interviewees in groups. So if you interview at 1:30, and get done at 2:15, the other interviewers may be done at 2:30 or so that are using the shuttle as well, so you may have to wait for them. Basically, if you talk with admissions, they will be more than happy to accomodate all of that for you. Good luck! It depends on who you get, but the interview is very relaxed (basically restating everyone else's advice! But it's true).

Thanks KCUMB...any current students know of good housing that is not ct towers?