Keck-USC Class of 2008!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emily69

going a bit crazy here
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who here is gonna be my classmate?!
Maybe we could figure out stuff like when school starts, housing, financial aid q's etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How crazy Emily69, this was your 69th post. And what a great post it is!

Did you guys get the evite?

Originally posted by askew01
Did you guys get the evite?

Yeah, I got it. I think its funny that USC used an evite to communicate with us. Unfortunately the event is scheduled for my last day of classes, and there is no way I am missing the huge party that that is. Plus its not really worth it for me to go all the way to Cali just for a half-day get-together. Still sort of wish I could be there to meet some future classmates. :(

Hello! I'll most likely be at USC in the fall too. :)

Still deciding whether or not to fly from Chicago for April 23 ... what do you guys think?

Btw ... my real name is emily too ...

Originally posted by dara678

Btw ... my real name is emily too ...

Alright. We are going to have to reject one of you then. Any volunteers??

Has anyone of you fellows got into a UC and still decided to go to USC?

Originally posted by Jalby

lol...I actually like the idea of several people with the same name. If you ever aren't sure, just say "Emily" and you have a good shot of being right!

Originally posted by Jalby

That's funny... :) 'cause my real name ISN'T Emily!!! You guys will find out when I'll meet you either in class or at second look day.

I'm thinking of changing my first name to "Emily" for reals though cause my actual name is a mouthful. I figured patients would remember my name easier... Instead of "Uuuhhh... I'm supposed to have an appointment with Doctor Hkhkdhklhdfcc... is that how you pronounce her name?"

And yes, how appropriate that my 69th post was for starting this thread! weird. That was totally not planned.

Originally posted by Trekkie963
lol...I actually like the idea of several people with the same name. If you ever aren't sure, just say "Emily" and you have a good shot of being right!

LOL!!

Awww, but then I'm not unique ... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you all planning to do for housing near USC?

I'll be living at my parents' house.

The best part is not the free rent but MY PARENTS WILL NOT BE LIVING WITH ME!!!! YES! score.

The downside is that I'd have to take the I5 during rush hour...

Monterrey Hills is a very nice, peacefull place. I've lived there for 2 years, will live there for one more year, then go to a funner place and say screw the commute. It's a great place with very nice apartments, great pools, hot tubs, etc, etc, and it's only 6 minutes from school without trafiic. 8 minutes from school with traffic. I'd say about 60-70% of the students live in this area and I would definately recommend checking it out.

Is on campus housing any good?

Hey y'all. I will most likely be going to USC, too. I am not sure if I am going to be able to come out on the 23rd, though. I don't really have anything going on, but it is just a hassle, etc.
-patzan

Originally posted by Alexander99
Is on campus housing any good?

Nope.

Hi all,

I may be at USC in the fall as well. Is on campus housing available for med students??

Also, what kind of cost are we looking at...for something like Monterey Hills for example...I don't know about you all but that's definitely an issue for me.

On a totally unrelated note to housing, thank goodness USC doesn't have major issues like the cadaver scandal. I was just reading that thread. Such madness.

...well the county has rat problems on the first 8 or so floors.

Arn't we the first class that'll get to work in the new LAC building?

Originally posted by bell

I heard that from someone there, too. It didn't look anywhere close to completion, though. Maybe by the time we begin our rotations it might open (?)

Rats? eeek... I'm not a fan of them unless they're already in tissue culture...

Originally posted by bell

Yep, it will be finished for our rotations. I am soooooooooo excited. An awesome hospital in brand new facilites, what more could you ask for?

Originally posted by emily69
On a totally unrelated note to housing, thank goodness USC doesn't have major issues like the cadaver scandal. I was just reading that thread. Such madness.

Tell us future Geffen-ers about that. I just felt so unlucky about not being able to start med school two years earlier instead.

well sooner or later most schools will go to computer based anatomy. i think its becoming more common anyways. but yes, its madness, i was kind of sad.

are you guys planning on living alone, or finding roommates? i'd rather have a roommate, but i can't come out to LA until right before school starts (i'm TA-ing) so I don't know if I'll be able to find one ... any ideas?

Has anyone applied for parking yet or know how we go about doing that? Also, what are the good lots to try to park in??

I'll tell you guys the second I get the parking e-mail. I think it's like transportation.usc.edu or something like that.

i know a secret about how to get parking basically for sure in the structure behind the bookstore. you can pm me or if its okay i can just post it up. jalby, want me to tell you first and then you can decide if i should let everyone in on it? just trying to help you guys out....

sombody do a search for the class of 2007 thread. I'm going to bed. Night all.

lol. If you apply soon you can get it without a problem. Thanks for looking out though. I'll be in the wards, so parking in the free lot would be cheaper and almost closer.

enjoy...class of 2007 thread.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68954&highlight=keck

who cares...ill share the secret for the new students. you want to park in the structure behind the bookstore. im not sure what structure number/letter it is. but anyhow, the way it is set up is that faculty park on the first 4 floors and students and other employees can park on floors like 4 or 5-7. ok to park in the student levels all you need is a parking permit for ANY parking structure (like PSA, PSB, PSX, etc) and not necessarily the permit for that structure. this would only be helpful if it sold out. caution: everyone is trying to sign up early.

anyhow, i hope that helps. the secret is out and i hope it doesnt mess anything up.

Two Questions:

1. For those current students, what parking lot should we all in Class of 2008 try to get?

2. Does anyone a link to the plans/ design of the new LA county hospital?

Thanks!

Thanks for the parking tips docmemi. Do you... or does anybody... know the website for parking??? I tried transportation.usc.edu and parking.usc.edu and neither of those worked. I really want to try to get parking ASAP so I'd appreciate if someone could help me find the right site. Thanks for your help!

If you ever want to go to stuff on the undergrad campus, does having a parking permit for one of the health campus lots help any or will you be just like any other visitor to SC?

People were asking for the parking site...I think I found it at http://transserver2.usc.edu/finalsite/. (accessible also as just www.usc.edu/transportation)

And to reiterate another poster's question...what lot should we get a permit for?

May 15th you get to apply for parking. How ironic.

There are three (four) parking lots that you would want to get. The first is biggy/structure (not sure of the name. One of those two) It costs more than the other two but it is the closest. There is also lot 70 which is right across the street from biggy, and costs the same.

The lot most students get is lot 71. It is a 4 minute walk difference between it and biggy, but 100$ cheaper, so that is the one I would recommend overall.

The second is a new lot that was just put up this year. I donno it's name, but it is on San Pablo. It's actually closer than 71, but for days when you have to meet in County Hospital for ICM it's pretty far.

Hope that helps and if I findout anything from the match (it did only happen 42 minutes ago) I'll post it here.

Where is the free parking located? I couldn't find it on the transportation website.

the free parking that i know of is called lot 9. it is actually for lac/usc (not USC) physicians, students and other personnel. it is located across the street from the hospital (on the opposite side of the med school) on marengo street.
hope that helps.

Who's thinking of going to second look day, next month?
I'm pretty sure I'll be there.
Hey if it's any incentive, you guys will find out my REAL name ;)

On a totally unrelated note to Keck...

It's my birthday on MONDAY!!!!!! :)

Originally, I thought it would be super duper dope if I got my Keck acceptance around my birthday. I guess I'll consider it an early birthday present!

USC so hurt my feelings! I went there for undergrad, was a great student and really active in the school. I recently got a letter saying I wouldn't be invited for an interview! Yet I was interviewed at some top UC schools (UCLA of all schools). I guess that alumni connection stuff isn't as true as I thought:rolleyes:

Alright, I just got the Matchlist for Keck this year. I'm shocked with how good it is. I was expecting a down year since this class had a 3.47 GPA and a 30.4 MCAT with a 216 board score. The next two classes should do a lot better, but I'm still happy with this list. Look how many of our own Ortho we took shocking.

Originally posted by RedBlanket
This is overview, covers the competitive specialties completely and hits some of the high points of other specialties:

Anesthesiology (6):
Stanford (2)
NE Medical Center
MGH
UCDavis
USC

Optho (2):
WUSTL
U.Mich

ENT (4):
UCI
New York Medical Center
USC
U Utah

Urology (3):
USC (2)
Cleveland Clinic

Radiology (3):
USC (2)
Jackson Memorial Hospital

Dermatology (3):
U of Colorado
UW
USC

General Surgery (9):
USC (3)
UCI (2)
Temple
Washington Hospital Center
U Wisconsin
U Colorado

Ortho (8):
USC (7)
St. Mary's Medical Center

EM (9):
UCLA
Texas Tech
USC (3)
Brigham & Womens/MGH (2)
U of Alabama
UCSF - Fresno

Other:
Brigham & Womens - Med
UCLA - Med (3)
Duke - Neurology
Johns Hopkins - Pathology
Stanford - Pathology (2)
CHLA - Peds (3)
UCLA - Peds (5)
UW - Peds
Beth Israel (NY) - Psychiatry
UCSF - Psychiatry
Many, many more...

Out of a class of 160, 120 stayed in California.

You guys, should I go to the accepted students reception? Who all is going? I know that I am going to USC for sure, I would have to take work off, pay for a plane ticket, etc., so I don't know if I should go. But I think it would be awesome to see more of the school, talk to med students, and meet future classmates. Well, I think I just made my decision. Is anyone else going for sure? Has anyone responded to the invite yet?

when is that? thanks.

I'll definitely be there!! Where are you flying in from? If its not too far away, i'd say its worth it!