Kenya

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowhazel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice for organizations to approach for funding medical missions is Kenya? Thanks Lexy

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I just wanted to get some advice from a Kenyan both male and female prospective. I am not a Kenyan however, I had been dating a Kenyan for 3.5 years up until 4 mths ago. This is very personal so I just want some true advice no matter if it may hurt me. To begin, when I meet this guy, who is a Kenyan, at first I was afraid because I was only 19 and I was off to college and was told that most Africans were only wanting to use American women for citizenship or that they were possessive in nature so I refuse to go out with him however, he was very persistant so I decided to give it a try. Things were going so well that I could not believe it, to make the story short he always talked about us getting married and at first I thought that we were young but I began to consider it because I could not see myself without him anyway this year we were suppose to get married since I was graduating from school and would be back in the same state as him however out of the blue you writes me this email telling me how he has opted out of the relationship and that he needs to pursue his journey on his own. What is so strange is that this is after he has came to visit me from school about 5 wks and he sends me this email. When I call hime to ask him what is wrong all he tells me is that he is not happy but never communicated this before to me so all of this is shock to me. Now I am heartbroken because he was suppose to be my life partner and I do not understand why he would write an email to tell me this and not tell me when he visited me in school. Now that I am back from home I have been told that he has a girlfriend and I find it strange because I had asked him before if he wanted to date other people and he always said that he was sure that he wanted to be with me always and that he wanted us to get married. So now I am thinking that he cheated on me since it has only been 4 mths since you wrote this email and he has been seen driving this women's car and she has been seen driving his car and the apartment that we had picked out together and he had moved in before I went back for my last semester the women now stays there at times when he is at work. I am just confused about this and just wanted to ask another Kenyan what happened. Since I have been home I am talked to him twice face to face and told him how I care for him and how I do not understand whats going on with him but all he says is that it is hard and that he is confused and that he will be going home soon since he is the first born but if all of this is true why did he not talk to me and why all of a sudden this rash decision. I probably shoudn't have wrote this but I just need some advice as to what I should do because I really love this guy and feel like we should be together and just do not know how to leave this situation alone because I feel that something is strange about this situation. Just to add there were never signs of cheating so I did not think that until now so when I asked him if he cheated on me he said no and when I brought up the women's name all he said was that he was not with someone and that he was not planning on dating because he had not been through such a relationship like ours but I am just confused on why this happened. I know I may not ever understand and just try to move on with my life but this is so hard for me because as of now I am suppose to be married to this guy. Also I was wondering if I have told him how I felt do I just let him come to me if he wants to talk or when I see him should I just not speak to him. Also is it that maybe he wants to be with another Kenyan because I was told that the women was an African women. Also could it be that I am wanting to become a doctor and he does not want to have a wife that's a doctor I do not think this is the case because before we started dating he knew all of this and had been very supportive of my career goals. If any one could help me please give me some advice. I have asked my friends and everyone says that this is strange so they do not know what I should do. It has been 4 mths now but for some reason I think that maybe he wants us to be together because at work he risked his job to talk to me as well as wrote me 4 emails. Its just that I do not know what to do and just wanted a Kenyan's prospective since he is a Kenyan. Thank you for any advice that anyone can give.

slowhazel said:
Does anyone have advice for organizations to approach for funding medical missions is Kenya? Thanks Lexy

All kinds of info on this at blackmeds.com.

Members don't see this ad :)
Xula: I am just confused about this and just wanted to ask another Kenyan what happened.

Hmmm since my foreign relation/ship is in deep ****, let me see if their nationality can explain anything about this. :rolleyes: people are as diverse as the grains of sand in the great Sahara and yeah that includes Kenyans too. Grow up. men are men, are MEN! every where in the world. cultural values and up-bringing has no power over innate caveman behaviour i.e, Testosterone. no other kenyan will expalin the whys for you. that's up to the Kenyan you fell in love with. move on (sure as h3ll he has), burn the bridges. there are better Keyans anyway. if it was a caucasian, would you go about asking other caucasians to explain what happened to your relationship? you would--as a wise person-- see that you've been played and move on with YOUR life right?....the same thing works with us.

Yep, what Lumanyika said. His being Kenyan aint got nothing to do with it. An american guy would play the same way, so would a chinese, australian etc etc. He is a guy, probably getting some wierd ego boost from knowing that you still chasing after him. Let him go, don't even let him know how hurt you are, don't keep asking why, and how come. Just MOVE ON!! It won't be easy, but it'd be better for you in the long run.

from the Nation :The Maitha family yesterday backtracked on their earlier decision to allow traditional Giriama rites performed at the Cabinet minister's burial on Saturday.

And they also announced they would not allow Muslims to take part in that final service.

Their retreat came in the face of a threat by three mainstream churches ? the Catholics, Anglicans and Methodists ? to boycott the ceremony if Kaya elders were allowed to conduct their rituals.

The family's position was made clear yesterday by the Tourism minister's uncle, the Rev Samuel Jeffa Sirya, founder of the East African Pentecostal Church of Kenya.

He said the family did not approve the inclusion of traditional Giriama burial rites or any other non-Christian activities during the funeral.

"We want Maitha?s burial to be a purely Christian ceremony and we are not going to accept the involvement of either Kaya elders or Muslims," he said.

The Anglican Church of Kenya kicked off the controversy when Mombasa Bishop Julius Kalu said the church might boycott the burial if Giriama elders did not withdraw.

"We may be forced to keep off Mr Maitha?s burial ceremony if it is going to be mixed with the performance of traditional rites because this will be in conflict with our Christian faith," Bishop Kalu said on Monday.

At first the family spokesman, Mr Gideon Mung'aro said the elders could conduct their graveside rituals, but separately from the planned interdenominational service.

However, yesterday the Rev Sirya said the burial ceremony should be left to Christians, and that the activities of Kaya elders and Muslims should be part of an earlier funeral ceremony to be held at the minister's original family home at Majaoni, where the body will stay overnight on Friday.

He commented: "Beliefs of the Kaya elders are so complicated and weird that it is not easy for one to explain them. But the Bible and the Koran have some similarity."

Mr Sirya said that he could not understand why there was so much fuss from the Kaya elders, yet Mr Maitha had not been fully installed as a Kaya elder.

The rites which the Giriama elders led by chairman of the Kaya Council of Elders Mzee Simba Wanje wanted to perform included the slaughtering of a black hen at the minister?s house when the body arrived, sprinkling a concoction of leaves into the grave, and killing a bull at the graveside, then wrapping the minister?s body in its skin plus other secret rituals.

But, Mr Sirya warned against any Kaya elder touching the body of Mr Maitha during the burial itself.

The Islamic part of the ceremony would be led by Sheikh Juma Ngao, on behalf of Mr Maitha's Muslim constituents.

Mr Sirya said Mr Maitha was once a Sunday school teacher and was still a Christian to him, although he had identified himself with the Muslim community by helping them to build mosques.

Although he was somehow part of the Kaya, we still cannot allow them to interfere with our activities because of their odd practices, Rev Siria said.

Mr Maitha?s body is expected in Mombasa on Thursday. It will be flown to Malindi then driven to Mombasa with stopovers in Kilifi, Mtwapa and Bombolulu before being taken for an overnight stay at the Aga Khan hospital, Mombasa.

It will stay at Majaoni the following night before burial on Saturday

those damn colonialists did a good job on us! now our own people are suppressing traditional religions...yes you heard me right. RELIGIONS.

"when they came they had the bible,and we had the land. now we have the Bible, and they have the land"--dead prez.

Aint that some s*%t!

"Although he was somehow part of the Kaya, we still cannot allow them to interfere with our activities because of their odd practices, Rev Siria said." Esp this statement! Christian practices are just as odd, AND FOREIGN. Rev Siria is in NO position to tell them that their practices are odd.