Key books for ENT residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vjorl

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the must-have books for ENT residents and why?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the must-have books for ENT residents and why?

For junior residents:

1. Comprehensive ENT Textbook- either Baileys or Cummings.

2. Review Book- I used Pasha which I thought was excellent. Other options are KJ Lee or Lange, I'm not familiar with either.

3. Home study course- your program should provide this for you.

4. Journals- sign up for the academy, triologic, and any subspecialty societies you're interested in (usually this is free or paid for by your program) to get their journals.

5. (Optional) A surgical atlas, I had the Lore atlas. I didn't find it all that helpful since it's pretty old-school and most of my attendings did things very differently. Still ok for learning the surgical anatomy and general idea of various operations.

Once you're a senior resident and narrow down your interests somewhat, you should get books related to those interests.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks-great feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
5. (Optional) A surgical atlas, I had the Lore atlas. I didn't find it all that helpful since it's pretty old-school and most of my attendings did things very differently. Still ok for learning the surgical anatomy and general idea of various operations.

Another great resource is the journal Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology. Articles give the steps and relevant anatomy of a lot of common procedures, and often include information as far as background, data on indications, effectiveness, and complications, etc.

Never knew about this one! I'm just browsing it before first case today and it looks very promising. Thanks!

Team of Rivals by Goodwin because there's no better way to understand how to be a senior resident and work with a group of people who will at times all seem like jackasses.

Crucial Conversations by Patterson et al because it single handedly redefined corporate negotiations and how to have intense discussions with others but come out on top.

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Carnegie because it works, but moreso because it gives excellent examples of what great leaders have done to be liked and respected.

The Millionaire Next Door by Stanley and Danko because no single book will make you understand that cash flow does not equal wealth. It's a bit dated now, but still a fantastic read.

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Trilogy because as awesome as a movie can be, the books are always better. Or if you're not into Sci-Fi/Fantasty, then any old Tom Clancy from Executive Orders back. If you're not into political suspense, then Tami Hoag. If you're not into murder mystery, then David Baldalcci. If you're not into legal suspense or any of the above, then ask a girl.

Team of Rivals by Goodwin because there's no better way to understand how to be a senior resident and work with a group of people who will at times all seem like jackasses.

Crucial Conversations by Patterson et al because it single handedly redefined corporate negotiations and how to have intense discussions with others but come out on top.

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Carnegie because it works, but moreso because it gives excellent examples of what great leaders have done to be liked and respected.

The Millionaire Next Door by Stanley and Danko because no single book will make you understand that cash flow does not equal wealth. It's a bit dated now, but still a fantastic read.

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Trilogy because as awesome as a movie can be, the books are always better. Or if you're not into Sci-Fi/Fantasty, then any old Tom Clancy from Executive Orders back. If you're not into political suspense, then Tami Hoag. If you're not into murder mystery, then David Baldalcci. If you're not into legal suspense or any of the above, then ask a girl.

Song of Ice and Fire anyone?

Song of Ice and Fire anyone?

Hell yeah!

Also, I actually happened to skim through the KJ Lee book yesterday for the first time. My practice is hiring a PA and we bought some books for her.

I would actually recommend getting both KJ Lee and Pasha. There's plenty of overlap in topics between the two, but there seem to be some important differences too.

I feel like Pasha is more relevant in terms of the actual practice of ENT in real life. It tends to have more algorithms/protocols etc for common stuff that you actually see day to day.

KJ Lee on the other hand has a much bigger focus on zebras/syndromes/minutiae that are tested on the inservice and boards.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but I'd change my above recommendation to
getting both review books.

Game of Thrones : Listening to it on audio right now. Excellent, AngkorWuT

Last edited:
@resxn:

+1

Always putting life into perspective.

Agree 100%