Khan Academy MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laughingcow

Reaction score
Khan Academy said "This course is no longer being maintained or updated. After September 30, 2021, it will no longer be available" when talking about their MCAT material. But even after September 30, will all the videos and practice problems still be available?

Members don't see this ad.

In June 2020, when this announcement was first made, but before Khan Academy extended the deadline until 2021, the AAMC announced that they'd make the materials available through the AAMC MCAT Prep Hub until the "end of the testing year": .

Then they pivoted to keep it available through Khan Academy until 2021. I'm not in a position to have any insider knowledge about the negotiations, but one hopeful point is that the AAMC is at least aware of how bad this is for students and has explored the technical feasibility of making at least the videos available through the Prep Hub...so there may be a chance that they make a similar decision as the September 2021 deadline approaches? I wouldn't plan on it, but there's at least a shred of hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
In June 2020, when this announcement was first made, but before Khan Academy extended the deadline until 2021, the AAMC announced that they'd make the materials available through the AAMC MCAT Prep Hub until the "end of the testing year": .

Then they pivoted to keep it available through Khan Academy until 2021. I'm not in a position to have any insider knowledge about the negotiations, but one hopeful point is that the AAMC is at least aware of how bad this is for students and has explored the technical feasibility of making at least the videos available through the Prep Hub...so there may be a chance that they make a similar decision as the September 2021 deadline approaches? I wouldn't plan on it, but there's at least a shred of hope.

IKR. Capitalizing educational resources is everything against of the Credo for KA, whose founder, Sal, stood up for. I hope it’s not too late to get their heads on the right place.

IKR. Capitalizing educational resources is everything against of the Credo for KA, whose founder, Sal, stood up for. I hope it’s not too late to get their heads on the right place.

My understanding is that KA was having trouble maintaining all of its resources, and that their goal is less to capitalize the MCAT course and more to refocus on K-12 materials instead of trying to do everything in a way that might not have been sustainable. W/ that in mind, if the AAMC does continue to host the materials, I certainly hope they provide free access. I wonder if the issue might wind up being wrangling about IP rights and branding, but only time will tell I guess.