Kidney Stone Discharge Instructions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I had a question for everyone out there. What type of return precautions to do you give to your kidney stone patients for the following examples. How urgently do you get the urology follow up, and when do you have them come back if they haven't passed a stone? when do you call urology yourself?

1) Stone less than 5mm, distal ureter with no obstruction
- I usually just tell them to call for a urology appointment if they don't pass it in a week. Then the standard fevers, chills, worsening pain, sign of infection...etc.

2) Stone's 3-8mm, mild to moderate obstruction (Obviously, well appearing, not infected pt)
- Have patient call urology the next day for an appointment

3) Giant stones, signs of infection, or severe hydro/ill appearing
- I call urology myself and admit or get next day follow up.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I had a question for everyone out there. What type of return precautions to do you give to your kidney stone patients for the following examples. How urgently do you get the urology follow up, and when do you have them come back if they haven't passed a stone? when do you call urology yourself?

1) Stone less than 5mm, distal ureter with no obstruction
- I usually just tell them to call for a urology appointment if they don't pass it in a week. Then the standard fevers, chills, worsening pain, sign of infection...etc.

2) Stone's 3-8mm, mild to moderate obstruction (Obviously, well appearing, not infected pt)
- Have patient call urology the next day for an appointment

3) Giant stones, signs of infection, or severe hydro/ill appearing
- I call urology myself and admit or get next day follow up.

Thoughts?

That's pretty much what we're taught at my residency program. We'll actually call uro for #3 and sometimes consult in the ED because getting f/u can be tough.