Kind request for help w/ creating a neuro residency application list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SheepNeurology

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
- deleted for anonymity. will re-post after conclusion of 2016 match

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
http://www.nrmp.org/match-data/main-residency-match-data/ and look at charting outcomes and program director survey (new versions might be coming soon). Those will help you understand where you lie relative to other applicants and what programs consider important when sending out interviews and ranking applicants.

It's clear that you have a substantial interest in research and your mentioned subspecialties- use that to your advantage when writing your personal statement as that might yield some invitations from "top" programs which are frequently heavily based on research. In truth, most bigger programs (and even some smaller) will have a diverse faculty with ample research opportunities. Websites from each program can range from extremely helpful to not at all. There is some good interview feedback if you search this forum.

As you probably know, programs in California are probably going to be more competitive on average because a number of things. Pair that with you couples matching (went through that this cycle, can PM me for more info) and suddenly neurology has become a pretty competitive field -besides it already becoming more so every year. I would strongly recommend leaning to apply/interview at more places rather than fewer and possibly outside of CA. Hope this helped even though I didn't provide any specific programs.

You will still be competitive for most of the residency programs out West. You might have a tough time matching at UCSF or UCLA, but not outside the range of possibility. I would apply to just about all the programs out West and hope for the best. I don't have any experience with the couples match, but if your partner is a stronger applicant than you I would guess you won't have trouble matching into an academic program. Best programs for stroke / NCC that come to mind (not in any particular order): UCLA, UCSF, U Wash, Utah, OHSU, UCSD. Cedars probably also has a good stroke program now that Pat Lyden is there but I don't know if they have a neuro residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
To piggyback on Hank's post, Cedars does have a neuro residency, albeit a fairly young one (I think they just graduated their first class last year). Their NCC fellowship has been around a little bit longer and I believe it's pretty highly regarded. They also have a vascular fellowship, and getting your name on a paper with Pat Lyden definitely won't hurt your cause. Couples matching carries the risk of sinking a little bit further down in your rank list, so it's not a bad idea to check out some of the other less competitive programs as well. UC Irvine just got their first accredited NCC fellow and I believe they're working on getting stroke up and running. USC has both as well. For geography's sake, around SoCal you also have Harbor UCLA (which historically matches fellows pretty well at UCLA if I remember correctly), Kaiser LA, and Loma Linda; I don't know much about their stroke and NCC strengths.

If you really want a shot at the trifecta (UCLA/UCSF/Stanford), plan on doing an away.

Thanks for the added info radfish. I must have some kind of hemineglect for Stanford - they are also obviously a very strong stroke program.

Thanks turin, hank, and radfish for the responses - they've been incredibly useful and extremely helpful in organizing the process. Greatly appreciated!