Kinda dumb question about residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GaryPham

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry if this is a basic question, but I have a quick question about matching into allopathic residencies.

I read around and notice that a lot of Osteopathic students match into allopathic residencies (somewhere between 40-50%?). Do all allopathic residencies require a USMLE score? or do some accept both USMLE or COMLEX?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, sorry if this is a basic question, but I have a quick question about matching into allopathic residencies.

I read around and notice that a lot of Osteopathic students match into allopathic residencies (somewhere between 40-50%?). Do all allopathic residencies require a USMLE score? or do some accept both USMLE or COMLEX?

You're asking an advanced question for a pre-osteo forum. Remember, this forum is for students applying for osteopathic medical schools!

I recommend searching for this question in the osteo forum or maybe the residency forums specific to your interest.

However, here's a basic answer to your question:
All ACGME residencies do not require the USMLE. It is, though, probably a wise move to take the USMLE if you plan to apply to a competitive ACGME residency or a particular program where DOs rarely go. Programs where there is a good mix of MD and DO residents may accept both scores. This can be verified by talking with the PD or other students in that program.

Hope this helps.

At my DMU interview, one of the head guys there said that most allopathic residencies accept the COMLEX.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most do accept the COMLEX, but remember that you're playing their game. Taking the USMLE puts you on a better course for those competitive allo residencies that you may be applying to. I know, it sucks, but their is still the rather faint hint of "hate" towards the DO degree so rock the USMLE to prove yourself.