Kresge Eye Institute(Wayne State) Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bartz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any comments about the Kresge Eye Institute (Wayne state) ophtho program? I've heard some great things about it from people who interviewed there last year (great atmosphere, strong chairman, great PD), but can't find much info about it in this forum. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I actually start there as a pgy-2 in July, but I haven't done a rotation there yet so I can only speak about what I know from interviews last year.

We have a rather large class of 7, which does make it nice as call is Q6. The first half or so of the first year is in house until you "know what you're doing". At that time there is also an in house pgy-3 resident. The second half of your 1st and 2nd years are from home. I think pgy-4 residents basically just get called in for any surgery.

As far as teaching goes, they have chairman's rounds, journal club, and a board review course. One day each month during the last 9 months of the 1st year, there are lectures for surgical principles and techniques. There is also a microsurgery lab to help learn how to use a surgical microscope, learn the basic "moves", perform basic wound closure, perform capsulorrhexis, etc. According to the papers I have, there is a final exam requiring 8 sutures in 12 minutes, a written test, and 3 complete capsulorrhexis.

One interesting feature that I didn't notice anywhere else is a "business of medicine" course. The lectures from 2003 included:
1) Employment agreements, partnerships and buy-ins
2) Coding and reimbursement 101
3) Private practice: the first year
4) Anatomy of a lawsuit
5) Financial planning/investment management
6) Managed care
7) Practice operations

The bad thing about being in Detroit is that it's Detroit (although the suburbs are nice). The good thing is that, as you might imagine, there is a large amount of ocular disease to be seen.

I'm kinda interested in retina and they actually have 6 full-time retina faculty (including the chairman), as well as 3 fellows, so if one chooses to go that route it's a good place to be. The retina fellowship (3 fellows) is supposedly considered to be very strong (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=161161). The chairman, Dr. Abrams is is actually president of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), and a member of the Board of Trustees for the Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology (AUPO), where he is the President Elect.

I don't know a whole lot about the other subspecialties yet. They do have faculty in all the other subspecialties. The residents I met during the interview process and again during this year have seemed happy.

I'll obviously be learning a lot more over the coming several months, so feel free to contact me if you so desire.

If you want to really know about the "power" of a residency.

Look at where the residents went for fellowship. Also you need to see what happened to the docs that went into private practice. Did they move into some backwater of the world or did they start a practice or finda a solid job in a desireable location. The private practice doctors would be all too willing to answer your questions. If none of them want to take a few minutes to talk that will tell you something too either about the residency culture or their happiness with the program.

Many med.students are just happy to get any residency but a good residency can be the foundation for a solid future where the competition is only getting harder for a doctor to make it.

Samdo

Thanks for the info Redhawk, I'll definitely be in touch if I end up getting an interview there next year!