LA and DC Gigs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clement

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone able to give pointers (PM or otherwise), on reputable PSLF qualifying employers in the San Gabriel Valley area of LA in particular? It seems there isn't much out there (outpatient or ER psych). LA County takes applications and says they could reply within a year...

I'm also looking in DC, but less inclined toward academic (especially heavily RVU-driven base salary structures) or VA settings, which doesn't leave many options.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone able to give pointers (PM or otherwise), on reputable PSLF qualifying employers in the San Gabriel Valley area of LA in particular? It seems there isn't much out there (outpatient or ER psych). LA County takes applications and says they could reply within a year...

I'm also looking in DC, but less inclined toward academic (especially heavily RVU-driven base salary structures) or VA settings, which doesn't leave many options.
If you're applying for the LA county job through the governmentjobs website, you need to find a way to contact the med director, recruiter, or someone directly. Someone needs to pull out your application and read through it earlier. If you have any contacts that can connect you with Dr. Shirin or you can get connected through email groups like the AACP email list (someone on there probably knows him), that's one way to actually get a response.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're applying for the LA county job through the governmentjobs website, you need to find a way to contact the med director, recruiter, or someone directly. Someone needs to pull out your application and read through it earlier. If you have any contacts that can connect you with Dr. Shirin or you can get connected through email groups like the AACP email list (someone on there probably knows him), that's one way to actually get a response.
Thank you for confirming. I had the same thought...That in an ideal world, I'd have known who to Email rather than wondering about the floating timeline of general recruitment channels. Somehow I hoped that "exam" completion would move things along! (i.e. manually entering my CV) :)

Thank you for confirming. I had the same thought...That in an ideal world, I'd have known who to Email rather than wondering about the floating timeline of general recruitment channels. Somehow I hoped that "exam" completion would move things along! (i.e. manually entering my CV) :)
See if you can get on the AACP emailing list and ask if anyone knows of any job opportunities or can get you in contact with LA county or other CMHC/CCBHCs in the area. They post jobs all the time.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a famous state hospital in DC, St Elizabeths. They definitely do not have a heavy workload. The public mental health system in DC has tons of OP work as well. All would qualify for PSLF.

Reactions: 1 users
Any addiction related jobs? Asking for a friend ;)
Not that I am aware of in the DBH system. They just hired a slew of addiction psychiatrists. So if the new system they're setting up doesn't work out, maybe a few openings in a year or so. If someone were to try and negotiate themselves a setup at Saint Elizabeths to start and manage some addiction treatment for the chronic or admitting units they might be successful. But that would take a ton of work to set up.

Not that I am aware of in the DBH system. They just hired a slew of addiction psychiatrists. So if the new system they're setting up doesn't work out, maybe a few openings in a year or so. If someone were to try and negotiate themselves a setup at Saint Elizabeths to start and manage some addiction treatment for the chronic or admitting units they might be successful. But that would take a ton of work to set up.
Heard anything good about the Kaiser system?

Heard anything good about the Kaiser system?
They're hiring. The general psychiatrists are incredibly busy and short-staffed. They share inpatient coverage amongst the outpatient doctors, I think it's a week at a time? I heard 40 encounters a day outpatient from the one psychiatrist there I've talked to.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
They're hiring. The general psychiatrists are incredibly busy and short-staffed. They share inpatient coverage amongst the outpatient doctors, I think it's a week at a time? I heard 40 encounters a day outpatient from the one psychiatrist there I've talked to.
Why would anyone take this job doing 40 encounters a day? That would translate to 7 figures in private practice..

Reactions: 2 users
Why would anyone take this job doing 40 encounters a day? That would translate to 7 figures in private practice..
Yep. I certainly wouldn't take that job. There's a reason they're hiring and have a staff shortage. Wait lists are several months long, which is really inexcusable in a market as saturated as DC.

Thanks for the reply, I'm trying to get into the area but can't seem to find any good gigs.

Thanks for the reply, I'm trying to get into the area but can't seem to find any good gigs.
Sibley Memorial Hospital is hiring an ECT / TMS psychiatrist, inpatient and outpatient. They're a Johns Hopkins affiliated community hospital. Very nice. If I had to pick a hospital to work at or receive care in the area, it would be SMH.