Lab result diagrams....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SouthSideSteve

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw this cartoon and the third one is a new one to me. I know the first is CBC, second is chem7 and last is coag. Is the third a differential?

surgery_panel_11__Small_.jpg

2 more stupid questions:

1. do they have an offical name, I've heard them called many things.

2. are there any others (ABGs?) or different styles? is there a site with other useful shorthand methods like these?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

SouthSideSteve said:
I saw this cartoon and the third one is a new one to me. I know the first is CBC, second is chem7 and last is coag. Is the third a differential?

surgery_panel_11__Small_.jpg

2 more stupid questions:

1. do they have an offical name, I've heard them called many things.

2. are there any others (ABGs?) or different styles? is there a site with other useful shorthand methods like these?

Thanks in advance

It's the CMP that also includes TP, Alb, Bili (total/direct), ALT, AST, AP. I think that's the order that they are in in the cartoon. I can never remember them myself.

Abgs are written usually as pH | pCO2 | pO2 | bicarb | O2 sat, FiO2

Not sure about websites, if you find one I'd love to see it too :laugh:

remedios said:
It's the CMP that also includes TP, Alb, Bili (total/direct), ALT, AST, AP. I think that's the order that they are in in the cartoon. I can never remember them myself.

Interesting, I've never seen the it written that way. Around these parts, we use the third skeleton, with alk phos and albumin above and below the horizontal line, transaminases at the tips of the diagonal lines, and total/direct bili in the triangle space.

Abgs are written usually as pH | pCO2 | pO2 | bicarb | O2 sat, FiO2

I just finished a critical care month, and the attending had a pet peeve about including bicarb in the ABG. Since it's a calculated value, she wanted to know the bicarb from the renal instead. Of course, this was in the ICU, where you could be sure the nursing staff would actually draw the renal and ABG at the same time if you asked them...

I think the third diagram is:

T prot 6.2 alb 3.6
T. Bili 0.3 D. Bili 0.1
AST 32 ALT 30
AlkPhos72