About the ads

1. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

Lab result diagrams....

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by SouthSideSteve, Apr 26, 2006.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. SouthSideSteve

SouthSideSteve

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I saw this cartoon and the third one is a new one to me. I know the first is CBC, second is chem7 and last is coag. Is the third a differential?

[​IMG]

2 more stupid questions:

1. do they have an offical name, I've heard them called many things.

2. are there any others (ABGs?) or different styles? is there a site with other useful shorthand methods like these?

Thanks in advance
  2. remedios

remedios Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

It's the CMP that also includes TP, Alb, Bili (total/direct), ALT, AST, AP. I think that's the order that they are in in the cartoon. I can never remember them myself.

Abgs are written usually as pH | pCO2 | pO2 | bicarb | O2 sat, FiO2

Not sure about websites, if you find one I'd love to see it too :laugh:
  3. Hurricane

Hurricane Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Interesting, I've never seen the it written that way. Around these parts, we use the third skeleton, with alk phos and albumin above and below the horizontal line, transaminases at the tips of the diagonal lines, and total/direct bili in the triangle space.

I just finished a critical care month, and the attending had a pet peeve about including bicarb in the ABG. Since it's a calculated value, she wanted to know the bicarb from the renal instead. Of course, this was in the ICU, where you could be sure the nursing staff would actually draw the renal and ABG at the same time if you asked them...
  4. fomites

fomites Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think the third diagram is:

T prot 6.2 alb 3.6
    T. Bili 0.3 D. Bili 0.1
    AST 32 ALT 30
    AlkPhos72