Labwork at Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stanfordboy

stanfordboy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I just wanted to get a better idea of what the academic curiculum is like at dental school. I've heard people on this forum talk about labwork at dental school. What exactly does that entail? How is the labwork graded? Are the examinations at dental school mainly written ones or are they based upon what you do in the lab or both? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Labwork entails most every aspect of dentistry. Waxing up crowns, waxing inlays, onlays. Also it's the cutting of the preps, prosthodontic or operative. Taking impression of typodonts, pouring up stone, using pindex systems, manufacturing dentures etc.

They're all graded subjectively, so your grade can vary greatly depending on who grades it and how they feel that day.

You have lab classes and those grades depend on lab work and lab practicals. Your lecture classes use written tests, it's about that easy.

When you get to clinics, depending on your school, you may have to do lab work for your patients. For example, when we complete a crown prep and get our final impression, we have to go pour that model up, section and trim the dies, mount the case and then get it accepted by the lab in order for the crown to be fabricated. In Sr year we can bypass that labwork. Each crown I'd say takes anywhere from 3-4.5 hours of labwork if you count drying time for different stones so it can add up.