Lack of extracurricular activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TORY1026

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

How much do extracurricular activities matter?
my stat: bio major (3.5gpa) and DAT score (23AA, 24TS).
I wasn't very involved in many activities during college. I was a PR for one organization and also have some work experience as a dental assistant but no research experience, awards, or anything too impressive. I am also worried that I don't have many hours of volunteer.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

People get into school all the time without having any research or awards so don't worry about that. The volunteer hours on the other hand can bite you in the butt. Schools want to know that you're willing to give back to the community. Most schools have a minimum of 200 hours but they would always prefer more. If you don't have at least that many I would start looking and get as many as you can.

Hi all,

How much do extracurricular activities matter?
my stat: bio major (3.5gpa) and DAT score (23AA, 24TS).
I wasn't very involved in many activities during college. I was a PR for one organization and also have some work experience as a dental assistant but no research experience, awards, or anything too impressive. I am also worried that I don't have many hours of volunteer.

Thanks!

Very little. Your GPA and DAT are good. And you have some relevant experiences, so you should be good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools have a minimum of 200 hours but they would always prefer more

Wait what??

I thought that there is no minimum for volunteering but 100+ hrs generally looks good/is preferred on an application. Where is this 200 hrs required coming from?

Wait what??

I thought that there is no minimum for volunteering but 100+ hrs generally looks good/is preferred on an application. Where is this 200 hrs required coming from?

He’s trippin

Reactions: 1 users
What schools exactly have a 200 hour minimum?
Wait what??

My bad. Schools like to see 100-200 volunteer hours but it's not required to have that many. I should have worded that differently. Sorry

Reactions: 1 user