Lactulose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amyl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What’s the consensus here- is lactulose a clear or full liquid?

Members don't see this ad.

The dose is usually like 1 or 2 tablespoons.

If anything I'd treat it as a sip with meds and not delay at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Clear. If anything, its making you empty your stomach.
It’s my understanding that the main effects of lactulose are post pyloric and mostly colonic. I could only find one study that showed it sped up gastric emptying when mixed w a meal only very slightly.
I thought it was a clear as well but one dr at my place said it’s a viscous orange solution and wanted wait 6h. Seems wrong when red jello is a clear 🤷‍♀️.
I couldn’t find much research wise - anyone have any studies or official in writing policies about this at your institution.
Are all lactulose solutions the same?

It’s my understanding that the main effects of lactulose are post pyloric and mostly colonic. I could only find one study that showed it sped up gastric emptying when mixed w a meal only very slightly.
I thought it was a clear as well but one dr at my place said it’s a viscous orange solution and wanted wait 6h. Seems wrong when red jello is a clear 🤷‍♀️.
I couldn’t find much research wise - anyone have any studies or official in writing policies about this at your institution.
Are all lactulose solutions the same?
I haven’t looked at any high level studies. Just based on my institutional practice in residency. If they can drink Gatorade, water, and black coffee 2 hours beforehand, then I don’t see why they can’t take a medication with the same time constraints. If you really want a definitive answer, gastric POCUS is the way. Or RSI.