Laparotomy with DVT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusibello

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*** Medical Layperson Alert ***

Patient (my 81-year-old mother) is scheduled for a laparotomy next week. The oncologist intends to remove a pelvic mass (7cm) that may/may not be ovarian cancer. (She had no symptoms or issues - mass detected by GP during routine exam.)

Mom got through all pre-op hurdles save the last one: yesterday an ultrasound showed a DVT in her left leg just behind/below the knee. (Not her first - her side of the family has DVTs like most people have colds and sniffles.)

We won't know the plan until we speak to the Oncology team (@ MUSC) Monday. Mom is home, feeling fine, on Lovenox injections. Question: Is the laparotomy and pelvic mass removal out of the question for next week (Wednesday)? The oncologist gives this vibe: Can't say it's cancer, but leaning that way based on slightly elevated marker. (Which in the case of ovarian cancer I understand is not an especially reliable indicator?).

Getting from my home to Mom's home to MUSC is rather involved due to geography, etc. so plans we have made assuming Wednesday surgery are now in doubt and the sooner I can sort out options for a future date the better. Sorry for the long story, but comments and opinions about likely options would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.