Laptop for grad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foremma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, I have come to you for advice in picking out a laptop for my upcoming Counseling PhD program.

My budget is pretty flexible, but I would like to stay under $1500.

I spoke to some students in the program and some use Macs and others use Windows, so it seems like the program is not rigid in that sense. However, I don't know what to expect in terms of what I'll be using my computer for beyond statistical purposes/data management, literature reading, writing, and taking notes, so I thought those who have completed the journey or are already in it can offer more insight.

I imagine the biggest things I should focus on really is RAM for stats program and HD storage. Is anything else that important for a laptop for grad school purposes?

I have heard great things about the Microsoft Surface Pro, and the newest model, the Surface Pro 3 just came out. It has a detachable screen which lets it operate as a tablet and also has a Stylus that allows you to write on the screen. I've read about people in Engineering programs that love this use, especially for programs like AutoCAD, but would having a writable screen really serve me any purpose in a psychology program?

Surface Pro:
$1170 - 8GB Ram, 256 GB, i5 Processor
$1395 - 8GB, 256 GB, i7 Processor

Macbook Pro:
$1399 - 8GB Ram, 256 GB, i5 Processor

So it seems like the $1170 Surface Pro vs. $1399 Mac are pretty much identical. I can get a much faster processor though for $5 less on the Surface Pro than the Mac at the same price.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but thought if I elucidated the differences better it might help a more computer-savvy person decode this for me.

What's the verdict?

Members don't see this ad.

A pro about the mac: better overall functioning and more consistent performance.
I had one clunker mac that lasted me from 2005-2011 and it was only sluggish 4 years after I bought it. my current one is from 2011 and I've only had to replace the power supply.

Also my goodness the windows 8: my parents are having the HARDEST TIME with that O.S.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a lot is based on personal preference. I opted for both an Ipad with a keyboard for long days of just note taking and reading articles. If I have back to back classes this makes it less stressful to carry so much (especially through snow). I also rent online textbooks to lower weight on bag and back.

On days I have more down time I use my macbook air so I can write and do homework. I maxed out on storage for MacBook Air so it will last longer. I also purchased a converter for the mac to plug into my desktop screen and it helps with my writing and looking at articles across 2 screens. Plus I left the desktop set up so if I need anything other than a mac it is still usable. IM me if you questions as this was a little vague

If you are rolling in cash, sure go ahead and get a fancy laptop. Realistically, however a budget laptop will work great! My laptop was around $600 when I bought it two years ago and it runs SPSS, excel, word, Mendeley, the internet, ect. all at the same time like a breeze. Also works great for gaming if you are into that. If you seriously have a lot of money, though, I'd go with a Surface. They are so cool. I'll be jealous if you get one. ;)

A pro about the mac: better overall functioning and more consistent performance.
I had one clunker mac that lasted me from 2005-2011 and it was only sluggish 4 years after I bought it. my current one is from 2011 and I've only had to replace the power supply.

Also my goodness the windows 8: my parents are having the HARDEST TIME with that O.S.

I currently have a Mac and love it. I just wasn't sure if I should keep my Mac now for personal use and get Windows for professional purposes since they seem to be the norm and most programs are designed for Windows. But yeah, Windows is a little tricky and I don't want to go down the road of working with it again. Mac is so seamless.

I think a lot is based on personal preference. I opted for both an Ipad with a keyboard for long days of just note taking and reading articles. If I have back to back classes this makes it less stressful to carry so much (especially through snow). I also rent online textbooks to lower weight on bag and back.

On days I have more down time I use my macbook air so I can write and do homework. I maxed out on storage for MacBook Air so it will last longer. I also purchased a converter for the mac to plug into my desktop screen and it helps with my writing and looking at articles across 2 screens. Plus I left the desktop set up so if I need anything other than a mac it is still usable. IM me if you questions as this was a little vague

So you had an iPad for taking notes and the Air for writing? Doesn't this seem like overkill? Could you have used the Air for both no problem? Because now I'm thinking that I just pick up a tablet and a MacBook Air for the same price I would a laptop..

If you are rolling in cash, sure go ahead and get a fancy laptop. Realistically, however a budget laptop will work great! My laptop was around $600 when I bought it two years ago and it runs SPSS, excel, word, Mendeley, the internet, ect. all at the same time like a breeze. Also works great for gaming if you are into that. If you seriously have a lot of money, though, I'd go with a Surface. They are so cool. I'll be jealous if you get one. ;)

I'm definitely not rolling in cash, but I'm looking at this purchase as a buy-it-for-life (or for a lot of years) purchase, so I figure I might as well spend a little more and get something that will allow me to do everything I want + more. Plus, I like that the Surface Pro can become a tablet, would be awesome for late night reading in bed + eliminate the need for carrying leisurely books around for traveling. It's good to know though that a normal laptop will work. I guess I'm fretting over nothing.

Why go that high for basic use? I have a $500 laptop that runs SPSS just fine.

See above!

It looks like over kill, but I had a choice to either get ipad or laptop...I got ipad. Then I went for holiday and needed to write edits for a manuscript--- no can do on an ipad.

So I got a laptop.

In my experience, proprietary software (spss, mplus, nvivo, etc) can pretty easily rival the cost of a laptop itself, depending on what you need, so keep that in mind. Also, I'd highly recommend buying a second monitor--it's invaluable for coding, writing results sections, etc.

In my experience, proprietary software (spss, mplus, nvivo, etc) can pretty easily rival the cost of a laptop itself, depending on what you need, so keep that in mind. Also, I'd highly recommend buying a second monitor--it's invaluable for coding, writing results sections, etc.

Do programs/advisors usually purchase these programs for students, or is it on us? Also, can a second monitor get connected to laptops without problems?

Do programs/advisors usually purchase these programs for students, or is it on us? Also, can a second monitor get connected to laptops without problems?

In my experience, I've always had to pay for my own, especially if I wanted to be able to work on analyses at home (always with de-identified data, of course, as approved by the IRB), but check with your advisor/department chair before you shell out any money for licenses. Student licenses are usually significantly discounted, so that helps somewhat.

And yes, I'm using one on my laptop as I type this--very easy to set up!

I bought a ASUS and it did everything I needed for grad school. You should get a discount from the University. Most universities have a portal or department portal where you have access to library and psych journals so you may do your research at home. Most everything is paperless and you have to submit all your work or papers online, even your Dissertation online. A good laptop may be bought for under $400 dollars. Most people replace or upgrade after four years as you can return your old laptop for money and they recycle or re sell your old computer.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Most people replace or upgrade after four years as you can return your old laptop for money and they recycle the parts.

This is something I've always avoided doing, due to data security concerns (even with a wiped hard drive, I don't want to risk it).

Reactions: 1 user
I <3 my MacBook Pro, but you can get by w much less costly options if needed. Most software can run across platforms, but it is helpful to ask ppl in your research group/lab. I had a giant laptop back in the day for class and a desktop at home (this was pre-tablet) w an external backup.

Yeah, I have a little 13.3" laptop that I can cart around easily and then a bigger, higher-powered laptop at home. I also have a desktop, but that's mostly for gaming. ;)

Another vote for an ASUS. My old laptop died the day before finals week a few years ago (coincidentally, the day before Diablo 3 was released). I replaced it with an ASUS, and have never looked back. I regularly run SPSS, SAS, Mplus, Matlab, and OOM - sometimes, all at once - as well as Dragon NaturallySpeaking. It's not the smallest laptop, but it works well for what I need it to do.

Yeah, I have a little 13.3" laptop that I can cart around easily and then a bigger, higher-powered laptop at home. I also have a desktop, but that's mostly for gaming. ;)
That's one thing I don't like about my laptop--no gaming. Most everything I want to play comes on consoles, though (I am currently talking myself out of buying a PS Vita for Persona 4 Golden ;) ).

Am I the only one that is driven insane by using multiple computers (making sure you have access to all your files or programs) or feel its wasteful? I just gave my mother my tablet she bought a me a few years ago since she needs one now (its still perfectly good) because I never used it (which made me feel guilty). I just use my laptop for everything. I was just noticing a lot of y'all have multiple computers/tablets and I know a lot of people do that but I can't handle it. I just love my trusty, beat up 2 year old HP laptop. :D

Am I the only one that is driven insane by using multiple computers (making sure you have access to all your files or programs) or feel its wasteful? I just gave my mother my tablet she bought a me a few years ago since she needs one now (its still perfectly good) because I never used it (which made me feel guilty). I just use my laptop for everything. I was just noticing a lot of y'all have multiple computers/tablets and I know a lot of people do that but I can't handle it. I just love my trusty, beat up 2 year old HP laptop. :D
Yep, I'm the same way. I tried having a home laptop and a school laptop for a while, but I found that I was constantly annoyed by missing a file here or there and needing two SPSS licenses. I now only use one, but I also have an external drive to back up my data on. Additionally, I'm the odd person who doesn't get the love for tablets--I've never found them to be efficient. I do have a smartphone, which I love for email on the go.

Having a second monitor is the single best thing I've done for my productivity. Guess I'm lucky that we don't have to pay for spss in my program.

I got a mac first semester of my program- love it, though like another commenter noted you ma have to replace the charger because they are somewhat flimsy. I'm still using it 4 years later. Our program offered a lowered cost copy of SPSS (I think around $60) and have a free version of other types of software we may need.