Last EMRap Live episode acid-base paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hamhock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last EMRap Live had an EM-CCM doc talking about the Stewart/strong-ion method. She referenced a paper in the journal Nephrology.

Anyone know which paper that was or if EMRap has reference lists published anywhere?

Thanks,
HH

Members don't see this ad.

EMRap does publish their references, but I can't find the talk you're referring to. I also don't have a subscription, but usually the episode list is freely visible, even if you can't listen to it.
I also can't listen to the episode I recorded, so there's that.

They have uploaded their latest EM: RAP Live on their website. I just rewatched it, and Dr. Crager didn't quote a paper when she was talking about Strong Ion difference. She quoted this paper from Am J Nephro when she said how it's acceptable to try and compare the last two digits of the pH to the CO2 level to look for adequacy of respiratory compensation to metabolic acidosis, as long as the pH is more than 7.10. Maybe this is the paper you are looking for?
A guide for predicting arterial CO2 tension in metabolic acidosis. - PubMed - NCBI

Dr Mason is active on Twitter, and if you can send a PM, I am sure she will be able to help out.