Last Minute Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenfromdablock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone can give me some last minute tips?

I'm packing my stuff, and getting ready to move halfway across the country.

Any tips on how to survive school, time management, living situations, cooking, etc etc?

Let me know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Be nice to everyone, don't talk behind people's backs, you never know who's help you'll need in the future.

Work hard, play hard and enjoy the journey.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Be nice to everyone, don't talk behind people's backs, you never know who's help you'll need in the future.

Work hard, play hard and enjoy the journey.

Always

Posted using SDN Mobile

I was talking about more material things for the living situations and overall general themes for management while in school.

remember that once you graduate and leave, you're basically never going to have professors to guide you or bail you out...so get out of your comfort zone as much as possible during your clinical education...don't be too afraid to make a mistake.

for more immediate and relevant advice, get a photographic atlas like Rohen's for gross anatomy...it's better than drawings and it's helpful to look at actual cadaver pictures for when you're not in the cadaver lab...some schools like to just drop you in the water and let you fend for yourself for preclinical education. that's fine just find an upperclassman to show you the ropes for sim lab. their advice is immensely helpful and have filled in a lot of gaps that faculty may have missed.

if you want to specialize, start showing your face at the specialty departments NOW. some specialties love to see people who show early interest.

remember that a bunch of us went through the same bs that you're about to go through and we all made it. it's going to be hard but put in the effort and you'll do fine.

if you put others before and value others more than yourself then you should get along with everyone else just fine...

edit: one more thing, when you start in the preclinic labs, don't put a death grip on your handpiece. you get no control with a death grip

Last edited:
if you put others before and value others more than yourself then you should get along with everyone else just fine...

besides mother teresa, who values others more than themselves? That is almost impossible and there is no way you would get anywhere doing that.

Every action we do is a selfish one, otherwise you wouldn't do it. Hold a door open for someone? Well, you did it because you wanted to be nice - you benefit from this. Donate money to a charity? that makes you feel good and gives you happiness, or alleviates guilt you may otherwise harbor.

remember that once you graduate and leave, you're basically never going to have professors to guide you or bail you out...so get out of your comfort zone as much as possible during your clinical education...don't be too afraid to make a mistake.

for more immediate and relevant advice, get a photographic atlas like Rohen's for gross anatomy...it's better than drawings and it's helpful to look at actual cadaver pictures for when you're not in the cadaver lab...some schools like to just drop you in the water and let you fend for yourself for preclinical education. that's fine just find an upperclassman to show you the ropes for sim lab. their advice is immensely helpful and have filled in a lot of gaps that faculty may have missed.

if you want to specialize, start showing your face at the specialty departments NOW. some specialties love to see people who show early interest.

remember that a bunch of us went through the same bs that you're about to go through and we all made it. it's going to be hard but put in the effort and you'll do fine.

Our gross anatomy lab or cadaver lab is about 3 weeks long. I think we start during our 2nd month.

As for specialties, by introducing ourselves to them, do you mean in the future hope of securing a LOR?

I'm moving soon and I'm currently making a check list.

Remember to bring your phone and laptop charger! Don't leave them plugged into the wall.

besides mother teresa, who values others more than themselves? That is almost impossible and there is no way you would get anywhere doing that.

Every action we do is a selfish one, otherwise you wouldn't do it. Hold a door open for someone? Well, you did it because you wanted to be nice - you benefit from this. Donate money to a charity? that makes you feel good and gives you happiness, or alleviates guilt you may otherwise harbor.
i know i do it for the feelies. i don't see what's so wrong with it that you would make it into an argument against this world view. my days are generally better and cheery if i start my morning by reminding myself of this mantra. it's literally the cheapest way to get my daily dose of dopamine. some say this feel good response to doing nice things to each other is an evolutionary adaptation that social animals like apes, monkeys, and humans have developed.

this brings up the reason why i like the idea of mandatory volunteering hours. it sounds backwards to require someone to do something nice. but i think making kids who've previously done nothing their entire lives but satisfy their own needs for pleasure are only doing so because they've never felt how good it feels to help someone or put someone else before themselves. hopefully by giving them this taste they'll start a habit of helping others on their own just because it makes them feel good. they can realize that they don't have to just buy video games or candy to make them feel good. they'll learn that putting others before themselves can be much more fulfilling, meaningful, or any one of those feel good catch phrases than going out shopping for themselves.

Last edited: