Late Applicant 3.75sgpa/3.75cgpa 29mcat (10ps, 8v, 11bs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyperDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd like some advice on my situation. I am applying next week which I believe is extremely late in the cycle. This is due to having issues writing my personal statement and obtaining a letter from a DO.

I am scheduling a meeting with one next week and am hoping by the time my application is processed and I receive secondaries I will be able to ask him for a letter.

My stats are as follows:

Overall undergrad: 3.75 cgpa/ 3.75 sgpa (transfer student)
UCSD GPA: 3.66
UCSD Master's Student, Grad GPA: 3.79

Mcat: 29 (10ps, 8V, 11bs)

Lab tech for two years (20hrs/week)
Doing Master thesis research 1.5 years (2 poster presentations)
Teaching assistant 3 times (once as a head TA)

8 months volunteer ER
Shadowed 2 osteopathic surgeons, 1 anesthesiologist (-40 hours)

Volunteer as a Mentor/Tutor for high school students 3 months
Volunteer as a mentor tutor for economically disadvantaged children for 3 months (still volunteering)
Intermural sports for two quarters
Lead music service for 1 year

My current interests are westernu, touro california and touro new york. What do you think my chances are for westernu, my top school? Can I get a few recommendations for other schools to put on my list as well? Beyond these three schools my only concern is tuition prices.

Thank you very much in advance. I am thankful for the help SDN users have provided for me throughout my process of applying to med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I'd like some advice on my situation. I am applying next week which I believe is extremely late in the cycle. This is due to having issues writing my personal statement and obtaining a letter from a DO.

I am scheduling a meeting with one next week and am hoping by the time my application is processed and I receive secondaries I will be able to ask him for a letter.

My stats are as follows:

8 months volunteer ER

Volunteer as a mentor tutor for economically disadvantaged children for 3 months (still volunteering)

My current interests are westernu, touro california and touro new york. What do you think my chances are for westernu, my top school? Can I get a few recommendations for other schools to put on my list as well? Beyond these three schools my only concern is tuition prices.

Thank you very much in advance. I am thankful for the help SDN users have provided for me throughout my process of applying to med school.

You're not late, you're just not early, but with your stats you should be more than fine.

Good luck :thumbup: and don't let SDN get to you!

I concur you look like a strong applicant, western has a west coast bias so it I think it looks good for you there.

If you are interested in research going forward there are a couple schools that have strong research programs that you might be interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
What appears to be a preference for West coast applicants might be explained by the large excess of qualified applicants from CA. Last year 1427 had to leave the state for allopathic schools, while only 841 found a seat in state. It is reasonable to assume that many would stay in CA to attend Western or Touro.

Your chances look fine!

Hi All,

My stats are as follows:

8 months volunteer ER