late for pre-interview dinner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member77077

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to scheduling issues beyond my control, I have two interviews back-to-back with a flight across the country in-between them. Thus, it's likely to be very difficult, if not impossible, for me to make the pre-interview dinner of the second program. If I can swing it, I might be able to get to the pre-interview dinner in the ballpark of when it starts (albeit likely late or cutting it really close). Is it better to arrive late rather than not at all? Or, is that considered really bad form and it's just better not to try to go if there's a likelihood of being late?

(I'd email the program contact and inform them of my likely late arrive, and ask if this is ok with them, but I just wanted to get others' input before I do so.)

Members don't see this ad.

Due to scheduling issues beyond my control, I have two interviews back-to-back with a flight across the country in-between them. Thus, it's likely to be very difficult, if not impossible, for me to make the pre-interview dinner of the second program. If I can swing it, I might be able to get to the pre-interview dinner in the ballpark of when it starts (albeit likely late or cutting it really close). Is it better to arrive late rather than not at all? Or, is that considered really bad form and it's just better not to try to go if there's a likelihood of being late?

(I'd email the program contact and inform them of my likely late arrive, and ask if this is ok with them, but I just wanted to get others' input before I do so.)

Showing up late (with a legit reason) is better than not showing up at all. Many residents will be wrapping things up on shifts and coming over when they can, so it often won't even stand out. The goal is to meet some residents and put in a good showing, get a sense of the residency and whether they seem happy, overworked, etc, not necessarily be the first in line.

Showing up late (with a legit reason) is better than not showing up at all. Many residents will be wrapping things up on shifts and coming over when they can, so it often won't even stand out. The goal is to meet some residents and put in a good showing, get a sense of the residency and whether they seem happy, overworked, etc, not necessarily be the first in line.

Agreed. Email the PC to let him/her know you'll be late so the residents are expecting a late-comer. Otherwise, yes, you should go if you can.

I will be in a similar situation. I emailed the PC asking if it would be OK if I was late to dinner, and she was very encouraging that it won't be a problem.

Everybody understands it can be hard to line up all of your interviews without any scheduling conflicts. Showing up late to your dinner because your flight didn't get in until 7pm is better than not showing up at all. I agree that it's probably worth e-mailing the program coordinator, because they might need a head count or have someone meet you somewhere.

Thanks everybody. I emailed the program director and she seemed fine with me coming late.