Late Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siriusblack0214

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity, would it be plausible to assume that interview invitations that were sent out later in the season (late November, December) = you are less competitive for that school, because you were probably invited because someone cancelled (i.e.: got taken off the waitlist), or because you were just in their second or third wave/round of offers? I wonder if anyone has actually matched at one of these late invite places...? I'm inclined to think that you stand a better chance at matching to schools you interviewed at where you got the offer early (in the first wave)--as long as you didn't blow any of the interviews. amirite?

Members don't see this ad.

just out of curiosity, would it be plausible to assume that interview invitations that were sent out later in the season (late November, December) = you are less competitive for that school, because you were probably invited because someone cancelled (i.e.: got taken off the waitlist), or because you were just in their second or third wave/round of offers? I wonder if anyone has actually matched at one of these late invite places...? I'm inclined to think that you stand a better chance at matching to schools you interviewed at where you got the offer early (in the first wave)--as long as you didn't blow any of the interviews. amirite?

For some programs everyone is fairly judged no matter whenever an applicant gets invited or if someone cancels. Sometimes interviewers have grading sheet and see performance.

However, I believe otherwise in many programs if u are not invited in initial set (without any cancellation), then person may not be preferred candidate

I sort of got in a disagreement with another poster about this. In that post I commented that I felt later interviews meant lower chance and the posters told me that I should be thankful, grateful, and keep my mouth shut etc. etc.

But this is just my thinking - I definitely think if you get last minute interviews (December to January) that you were not their first choice. There were a few last minute invites I got from prestigious programs and it was quite apparent that there was something on my app that maybe interested them. Also it was apparent that they had cancellations and just needed to fill those spots.

I don't know if anyone else got this but it is so obvious when a program is interested in you - they introduce you to residents, they go out of their way to introduce faculty to yotu with similar interests, , they send you post-communication and gifts, or they tell you directly that we would be very happy to have you / you would fit well in our program, etc. Or they invite you to their second looks. Every program is different and maybe b/c family medicine people are very friendly but I went on over 40 interviews and I saw the differences when programs were truly interested in you.

But @siriusblack0214 just relax like I said according to the previous post, an IMG with a step 2 CS failure and lower step scores than you matched with only 5 IV. THat's just one person but you had 17 interviews so just hang in there its almost over.

Last edited:
But @siriusblack0214 just relax like I said according to the previous post, an IMG with a step 2 CS failure and lower step scores than you matched with only 5 IV. THat's just one person but you had 17 interviews so just hang in there its almost over.

holy cow you went on 40 interviews?!?? you didn't turn any of them down? That is impressive. I started to lose my sanity toward the end even only on the 17 I had, and I also already felt it was insanely expensive to do those. Can't imagine doing double that. Props to you, you're pretty much guaranteed a match

I did get one late invite and that was because someone cancelled. Am not counting too much as PD didn't interview me and I was interviewed by Chair instead. That was bizarre and secretary said 1/2 will be interviewed by chair as there are more applicants ok limited time. I didn't get any post interview correspondence. Am not counting on this program.

Where as among my other top programs most replied generically to my thank you emails. Some were specific - everyone thought highly of you, and u will be seriously considered during rank; you are a very strong candidate (one even toured me through facility during interview time)

Every program is different and handles wait lists differently, and I can only speak for my program. We don't invite anyone who doesn't meet/exceed our criteria. Cancellations are expected so we do utilize a wait list. While I can't argue that perhaps those candidates invited later in the recruitment cycle aren't as academically strong as others, they are still people we are interested in meeting as space allows. The wait list drama of filling open slots happens completely behind the scenes, and when an applicant comes to interview no one but me knows whether he/she was invited on Sept 16th or the week of the interview (and I'm not telling unless the information benefits the applicant in some way--such as showing flexibility or enthusiasm for our program).

I got an interview invite February 8th to a fairly prestigious program. When I got to the interview, they had set up special arrangements just for me. The PD said that their interview season ended in November and she just happened to come across my application as a fluke when looking, and had no idea how they missed me on the initial interview selection. Told me she was extremely interested and really wanted to see me.

I'm thankful for the opportunity, because it ended up being ranked very high on my list. But I'm not sure if the interview was simply because their initial candidate list was poor, or she really was impressed by my application. Either way, I felt really special being the only person there, and having them take the time to give me an "informal" interview day all to myself. They didn't make me feel like I was unqualified at all....quite the contrary in fact.

As this thread demonstrates, this is one of those situations where "it depends". It is certainly possible (and perhaps probable) that programs will release interview offers to their "stronger" candidates first. But it's also possible that they just release them alphabetically. Or reverse alphabetically, if the PD's name starts with a Z, just to get back at the world for always being last. Or they divided up applications to be reviewed, and your reviewer was just slower in getting their work done. You really don't know.

And whether it matters or not also depends. Some programs invite candidates all of high caliber, and then rank them based on how much they like them / fit. In that case, doesn't matter whether you were picked first or not. Others may rank people based on academics first, and fit second, and in that case it might matter.

In any case, this falls into the category of "there's nothing you can do about it, and no way to know". Plus, the match solves problems like this -- you simply rank programs in the order you want, and you can't lose.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless you do not match. Then, you lose. :uhno:
Well, not exactly fair. If you don't match, you wouldn't have matched regardless of the order of your list. My point is simply that your ultimate outcome can't be any worse by ranking a program that you feel like you have less chances at high on your list.

But, yes, not matching (or not filling, in my case) sucks. Worse for you than for me.

I was invited for an interview at the program I matched at wayyyy late in the season... I think somewhere towards the end of November... and that too with only one date available to interview (to be fair they only had 4 days total). I was surprised as hell to find out they actually really liked me.

Reactions: 1 user
Fwiw was pulled off a wait list in December , thought chances were low,had minimal contact post interview - matched theretv

An n of 1 but I got the last interview spot a couple days before the last interview day from a place I sent an interest email mid January. Ranked it #1 and matched

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Ended up matching at the program I mentioned earlier, that invited me for the late interview :)

I agree with this in theory. But, I know I got really good feedback from 2 programs I interviewed at in January and even into February. Got good post interview feedback from both. Do not feel like I have no shot.

Will see next week!
For me it was all ****.........Don't believe anything. Except the place I matched. They were the only one that was true.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to add that the place I matched at was also one where I was pulled off of the waitlist. Was debating whether to go or not but ended up loving the place, and luckily matching there. So for the MS3s and further on, just because you are pulled off the waitlist doesn't mean you don't have a realistic chance of matching at said program.