Late LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCMED101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was in the unfortunate situation where I was short a letter close to ERAS submission time. I had to ask for letter from an attending 2 days before ERAS opened. I submitted on the first day and have 2 letters in for the programs I applied to.

Question: Should I...
1.) Wait for the letter to come in. I don't know how long the attending will take to complete it and I don't want to pester them since I asked them late anyways.

2.) I have a third letter from IM Chair that I used for prelim programs. Never worked directly with him and letter is probably a generic rehash of medicine rotation comments. Should I use this letter as a "placeholder" so that my app is complete and just upload the late letter when it comes in?

I am a below avg applicant with scores of 225/246 so I'm not expecting to be in the first wave of invites, but based on previous threads some schools do seem to send a lot of invites in the weeks before Oct 1st. What's the better option?

Members don't see this ad.

Once you assign letters (btw, you can only assign letters if they are uploaded), you can't "un-assign" them, so I wouldn't use anything as a place holder. I've heard that as long as LoR are uploaded/assigned before MSPE is released, it's fine. I am also in a similar boat. My letters were finally uploaded yesterday, but now I have to decide which letters to assign.

Once you assign letters (btw, you can only assign letters if they are uploaded), you can't "un-assign" them, so I wouldn't use anything as a place holder. I've heard that as long as LoR are uploaded/assigned before MSPE is released, it's fine. I am also in a similar boat. My letters were finally uploaded yesterday, but now I have to decide which letters to assign.

Sorry, placeholder was probably a bad term to use. I meant more as in should I upload a mediocre letter to have a complete app before my last letter comes in (total of 4 letters)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably OK to wait for a couple weeks of you have 3 letters because that's a complete application. Most programs won't review the LORs in depth until closer to interviews, anyway.

It's probably OK to wait for a couple weeks of you have 3 letters because that's a complete application. Most programs won't review the LORs in depth until closer to interviews, anyway.

That's the thing, I don't have a complete application because I only have 2 uploaded to anesthesia. I have a third letter, but haven't assigned it yet since its likely a mediocre letter. Should I assign this to the anesthesia programs and then assign the last letter when it comes in?