LCSW vs PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addictionz04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm wondering if I should pursue a Counseling PhD or LCSW. I only want to do therapy and have no desire for teaching, although I don't mind conducting research. I just know that academia is really competitive and I'd much rather have my own private practice. Anyways, my question pertains to employment and salary opportunities for PhD's vs LCSW's. I know that the salary difference is probably $10-$15k. I was wondering which degree would give me a better return on investment, especially if I went to a fully-funded PhD program. Isn't it much easier to find a job with an LCSW? I guess which degree is better worth my time and money, especially given the saturated job market nowadays?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're not interested in academia, then don't get a PhD. The only caveat would be if you were dead set on pursuing a research career but didn't want to work for a university, but it sounds like you could do w/o the research component. Get an MSW, become an LCSW and work in private practice, state agency, or other healthcare system.

Reactions: 1 user
The earning potential difference is much more than 15k. I make about 60k more than my social worker sister-in-law.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Each career path will enable you to provide therapy but each field is unique in their overall philosophy and approach. I believe that a clinical psychologist receives more training in providing psychotherapy and that for many people when they say, "I want to be a therapist", this is what they are thinking about. Social work tends to be more geared towards providing services to disadvantaged populations such as abuse victims and people with serious mental health issues. Also, when you say that you are not interested in teaching, maybe not a professor at a university, but either path will often involve quite a bit of informal or formal teaching abilities.

As far as return on investment goes. The odds are better that you would make more as a clinical psychologist and have more career options. You would pay a lot more for the degree if you can't get into a funded PhD program. If you can't get into a better PsyD program, then you might pay a lot for the degree and not be able to match and become licensed as a psychologist or be limited in opportunities.

For myself, becoming a psychologist was the best choice and I have never thought that I would rather have been a social worker. I have thought at times that maybe being a psychiatrist might have been a better choice, but that is mainly because they make more and also have the ability to prescribe. However, as someone who sees first hand the devastating effects an over-reliance on medications can have on patients in the long term, particularly those with addictions or early childhood trauma, I really have no regrets about my choice. My interventions are safer and often more effective than medications and we have the psychological research to back that up.

Reactions: 3 users
I have a Master's in psychology. Planned to become a drug counselor/researcher and I decided to go MS in Mediation and conflict analysis because I can make more money doing that. I could change my mind. But as a "client", I couldn't tolerate LICSW therapists at all. They were control freaks and rather than talk about me living life in reality and the real world, he wanted to hear about bipolar disorder and I was out. I knew I'd get stuck with them as well as 12 years of addicts wanting therapy for court and not help and it would make me feel like a fool.

Reactions: 1 user
Erg? Your SIL is making approx 30k? In another recent thread you said you were currently at 87k. I would say her salary is probably at the bottom 10% of social work salaries. Though its probably typical of child and adult welfare services make in the southwest. I'd still say your example is extreme in difference. As you know, there is a huge range of incomes for SW and psychologists. There is also a large income difference just between an MSW and an LCSW. I also know you are leaving out how much the LCSWs make at the VA :)

I do think it would be more accurate to say that the salary difference usually favors PhD's by 20K a year, rather than 10-15K.

OP, long story short, there are a ton of threads on this. I believe the PhD vs LCSW is a personal decision. I think if you get into a funded PhD program, you are automatically going to have a higher return on investment. Especially if you are a traditional age student. The LCSW is a mid-level license and I think is not equal to the PhD. However, if you get a MSW, you will be well-prepared for mid-level work.

I am kinda unclear of what spemat31's point is other than to say "LICSW's suck" so I don't know how to address it in a logical way...

Reactions: 2 users