Lead apron suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarabinerSD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m shopping for some new lead aprons as our current ones are pretty worn out. I do not like wearing the two pieces vest and skirt design (annoying to remove and put back on) and prefers the one piece design. Also the old ones are super heavy and I could use something lighter.

Any recommendations on lead apron vendors for something lightweight with good ergonomics and shielding? What’s the minimum lead equivalent I should aim for without killing my back?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe use the regular with the orthovest

Still heavy but weight distribution is less stressful on the lower back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it consensus that two piece lead is better than one?

Maybe I'm the odd man out but I prefer 1 piece

Reactions: 5 users
While we’re on the topic — any recs for lead glasses (with prescription)?

While we’re on the topic — any recs for lead glasses (with prescription)?
I had some and then switched to the nerdy big lead glasses over my current glasses - more comfortable, less fogging and no adjustment period.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you all sit down between cases and if so do you remove your lead?

I am terrible I never take my lead off all day. Anyone willing to give me a discount to come see them in a few years about my back?

Do you all sit down between cases and if so do you remove your lead?
I have an in office procedure suite so I’m going back and forth between procedures and clinic patients. Constantly taking a 2 piece off and on is such a burden hence I prefer the 1 piece.

Reactions: 2 users
I use the burlite vest from Burlington with the orthovest. The combo works well, but the stupid software they use for sizing is terrible. I had to send back the vest 3 times to get it made properly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for resurrecting the dead, but do you guys feel you need posterior/back protection for your lead, or is an elastic/open back sufficient?

Sorry for resurrecting the dead, but do you guys feel you need posterior/back protection for your lead, or is an elastic/open back sufficient?

I spoke to the physicist who was certifying my C-arm and he said as long as we don’t turn our back to the source we don’t need lead protection for the back. Hope this helps.

I use the burlite vest from Burlington with the orthovest. The combo works well, but the stupid software they use for sizing is terrible. I had to send back the vest 3 times to get it made properly.
yup software is trash. still waiting (seems endlessly) for my new stuff

Are these all pretty much the same weight, ie lightweight nowadays? I remember at one point they decided it was worth allowing in another 5% radiation to cut the weight by 40% or something...

Do you all have your lead checked regularly?
I just checked my "new" lead which was surprised to find mid line cracks in all 3 aprons and the one I use with multiple areas of thinning.
It was advertised as ultra light "lead free" from protech medical- ordered less than 2 years ago. I am bummed- it was nice because it was super light, but apparently I have just been wearing trash. We take good care- hanging up when not in use.
On the other hand my Bur-lite 0.5mm lead skirt and top which are almost 10 years old are still rocking with no cracks/thinning

Do you all have your lead checked regularly?
I just checked my "new" lead which was surprised to find mid line cracks in all 3 aprons and the one I use with multiple areas of thinning.
It was advertised as ultra light "lead free" from protech medical- ordered less than 2 years ago. I am bummed- it was nice because it was super light, but apparently I have just been wearing trash. We take good care- hanging up when not in use.
On the other hand my Bur-lite 0.5mm lead skirt and top which are almost 10 years old are still rocking with no cracks/thinning
Yearly testing.

Reactions: 1 users

Is this one recommended?

My low back has been killing me.
Had this for 7-8 years and was pleased. The “lead” fell out the bottom of the skirt (“kilt”) so I ordered a new one. Quality is far worse on the newer one. The new ones have fake pockets. Only one pocket hidden in front chest area. The Velcro ripped the lining on the front within 6 months. Now the Velcro from the belt is chewing up the lower border of the vest.

Still fits great and doesn’t hurt my back to wear, which was the main reason I got this one in the first place. I’m just disappointed in how they have cut corners in quality over the years.

Did y’all opt for the lead-free “Kiarmor”? 0.5mm?

Last edited:
April from Clint sent me a text that they are selling their lightly used leads they had for labs. Look very nice. $495

What is considered best of the best, cost aside / most comfort and lightest with adequate protection?